Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > How to manage multiple sound sources

How to manage multiple sound sources

sofasurfer

Motherboard-MSI Model MS-7325 w/onboard audio.

I also have a Soundblaster PCI 512 sound card.

I normally just use the PCI 512 (My on board audio is disabled in
BIOS) for my music, video, tv card, etc. But
now I also have installed Skype, a VOIP (Telephone over internet)
device.

The old setup worked fine with everything coming over my speakers.
But
now, Skype also comes over my speakers which is bad since it causes
feedback though my microphone. And, when I play music, it comes over
my head phone as well as the external speakers.

I wish to have my normal audio come over the speakers only and I want
Skype to come over my headphones only.

I did manage to get the Skype to come over just the headphones by
turning down my speaker volume to the "rear speakers" (I think this
is
how I accomplished it but not sure). But my normal audio still comes
over my headset.

I have now enabled to on board audio in BIOS and have funcionality
with both cards but am unable to control things the way I want them.

Can someone get me pointed in the right direction? Or if I'm thinking
backwards let me know. Whats the best way to manage this situation? Do
I need to go into advanced audio controls and change volume levels for
the differant sources every time I use them?

Thanks...

Manuel Marino

On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 20:54:35 -0800, sofasurfer
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Motherboard-MSI Model MS-7325 w/onboard audio.
>
>I also have a Soundblaster PCI 512 sound card.
>
>Can someone get me pointed in the right direction? Or if I'm thinking
>backwards let me know. Whats the best way to manage this situation? Do
>I need to go into advanced audio controls and change volume levels for
>the differant sources every time I use them?

I had a similar problem in the past, the only way to solve it is
having two operating systems, one using one card, and the other using
the other audio chip. In one system you disable one audio card and
enable the other one, and in the other system is vice versa.

This way you can use both cards but with different applications.

--
Music, Arts, People, Ideas - Shopping articles and stories
http://manuelmarino.com - http://newonlineshopping.net

Brian O

> Motherboard-MSI Model MS-7325 w/onboard audio.
>
> I also have a Soundblaster PCI 512 sound card.
>

> I normally just use the PCI 512 (My on board audio is disabled in
> BIOS) for my music, video, tv card, etc. But
> now I also have installed Skype, a VOIP (Telephone over internet)
> device.
>

> The old setup worked fine with everything coming over my speakers.
> But
> now, Skype also comes over my speakers which is bad since it causes
> feedback though my microphone. And, when I play music, it comes over
> my head phone as well as the external speakers.
>

> I wish to have my normal audio come over the speakers only and I want
> Skype to come over my headphones only.
>

> I did manage to get the Skype to come over just the headphones by
> turning down my speaker volume to the "rear speakers" (I think this
> is
> how I accomplished it but not sure). But my normal audio still comes
> over my headset.
>
> I have now enabled to on board audio in BIOS and have funcionality
> with both cards but am unable to control things the way I want them.
>

> Can someone get me pointed in the right direction? Or if I'm thinking
> backwards let me know. Whats the best way to manage this situation? Do
> I need to go into advanced audio controls and change volume levels for
> the differant sources every time I use them?
>

> Thanks...

I'm not sure if it's equivalent, but I have a built-in sound card on my
motherboard plus a sound card I added. I don't really remember exactly how
I set it up, but each application or piece of hardware could designate where
the output is sent. So, the output from the CD drives goes to the plug-in
sound card and out the RCA jacks to an amplifier. The system sounds (for
error messages, "you have mail", etc.) are routed to the motherboard sound
card and to some small passive speakers. The small speakers are always on,
of course, so I always hear whatever informative sounds that occur. When I
want to play an audio CD, or WAV files through WinAmp, I get good quality
sound from the amp and its speakers. I had to select the sound destination
in WinAmp and in any other applications that produce sounds. It was easier
than I expected and Windoze handled it all nicely.

I don't know if my experiences help your situation, but at least some
customization can be done.