Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Wireless connection dropping after 5 minutes. (all g compatible)

Wireless connection dropping after 5 minutes. (all g compatible)

=?Utf-8?B?c3R1YXJ0ams=?=

I have tried this on 4 different PC's with 3 different card (2 types) and 3
different routers (2 types)

Firstly, I bought 2 BT Voyager wireless broadband kits each including BT
Voyager 2100 Wireless router, 1040 PCI card and 1060 Laptop card. One 1040
was installed in my HP Pav T190.uk, the other in my dad's dell dimension
(don't know model) Setp up doth networks wired, then switched mine to
wireless and my left my dads to himself. I host and online gaming server
(wired) and play on mine (wireless). I kept getting kicked off the server for
idle time. Connected wired and it was fine, did a ping test both ways, and
noticed the wireless network was dropping every 5ish minutes.

Fired this question to my dad, he said he had similar problems with his
Dell, however his Laptop was working perfectly. tried them all at my house,
pinging both PC's and the laptop continuously with the router, both pc's kept
loosing where the laptop didn't. I also have a PSP which connects floorlessly.

I then purchased (after warnings) a pci wireless card for my friend to use
with his wireless router. This si a custom built PC with athalon 64 Sempron
3100+, 1 gig of ram and 7 PCI bays only using 1 at moment, and nvid gf
6600gt. This was using a 1 port speedtouch w/l broadband router with a INeXQ
PCI card. All was OK on the wireless front until we moved it more than 5 feet
away. then we started again with the loss.

Is this a PCI technology issue or something to do with voltageor
inteference? Both mine and the custom models have 450 watt psu's and 6600gt
gfx cards so ample for models.

Has anyone any ideas why it could be doing this so consistantly on multiple
machines or how to fix it.

Thanks

Carol

I don't have an answer to your question but I noticed you haven't had any
I have heard of a lot of situations of people having drop off problems. Most
of the time is has not been due to the hardware or software as much as
location or individual settings.
i.e.: how often is your IP refresh set to, I've also heard of situations
where IP servers have refreshed and lost connection for a short time,
bumping users. AOL used to bump my friends IP address (turns out they did it
intentionally because of a problem with his account).
Did you try Google ing your question of "wireless connection dropping" and
see what other threads you might be able to find on the issue?

Hope something I offered helps guide you toward finding your answer. Sorry I
can't be more help.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

ato_zee@hotmail.com

On 16-Feb-2006, "Carol" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > Has anyone any ideas why it could be doing this so consistantly on
> > multiple
> > machines or how to fix it.

Many wireless adapters drivers have a view signal strength and
signal quality.
Netstumbler (free download), if your adapters are compatible,
has a signal/noise viewer.
Lots of things can generate interference. Aerials on the
back of PC's, and laptop adapters may not be best placed
and screened by the case. USB can be better as you can
move them for better reception and add a reflector if needed
to boost the signal.
Static IP addresses and configuration can be better if
DHCP is causing the problem.

=?Utf-8?B?c3R1YXJ0ams=?=

cheers all the dhcp ip license is 24 hours and the w/l key auth interval is
always 0 (off) the connection is good within a few feet, it's whenit's moved
to somewhere outside of the room, (behind a false wall for example, but
effectively only 6 feet away). We have tried numerous different locations and
setups. The router top of a bookcase on 1 side of the wall and the pc only 4
feet away on the other. I have given up on the quest for wireless as I now
have all my kit local to each other and a 4 port router, but my friend wants
to have household pc downstairs( wired or w/l not bothered), and his pc
upstairs (w/l). The laptops and PSP, work fine and constant upstairs, it's
only the PC. it's not an invalid signal reading in the software cause ping
requsts are getting dropped as well.

Like it's been said, it unusual that this happens so frequently.

Any further ideas are well received. Thanks for all your help.

"Carol" wrote:

> I don't have an answer to your question but I noticed you haven't had any
> I have heard of a lot of situations of people having drop off problems. Most
> of the time is has not been due to the hardware or software as much as
> location or individual settings.
> i.e.: how often is your IP refresh set to, I've also heard of situations
> where IP servers have refreshed and lost connection for a short time,
> bumping users. AOL used to bump my friends IP address (turns out they did it
> intentionally because of a problem with his account).
> Did you try Google ing your question of "wireless connection dropping" and
> see what other threads you might be able to find on the issue?
>
> Hope something I offered helps guide you toward finding your answer. Sorry I
> can't be more help.
>

> "stuartjk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I have tried this on 4 different PC's with 3 different card (2 types) and 3
> > different routers (2 types)
> >
> > Firstly, I bought 2 BT Voyager wireless broadband kits each including BT
> > Voyager 2100 Wireless router, 1040 PCI card and 1060 Laptop card. One 1040
> > was installed in my HP Pav T190.uk, the other in my dad's dell dimension
> > (don't know model) Setp up doth networks wired, then switched mine to
> > wireless and my left my dads to himself. I host and online gaming server
> > (wired) and play on mine (wireless). I kept getting kicked off the server
> > for
> > idle time. Connected wired and it was fine, did a ping test both ways, and
> > noticed the wireless network was dropping every 5ish minutes.
> >
> > Fired this question to my dad, he said he had similar problems with his
> > Dell, however his Laptop was working perfectly. tried them all at my
> > house,
> > pinging both PC's and the laptop continuously with the router, both pc's
> > kept
> > loosing where the laptop didn't. I also have a PSP which connects
> > floorlessly.
> >
> > I then purchased (after warnings) a pci wireless card for my friend to use
> > with his wireless router. This si a custom built PC with athalon 64
> > Sempron
> > 3100+, 1 gig of ram and 7 PCI bays only using 1 at moment, and nvid gf
> > 6600gt. This was using a 1 port speedtouch w/l broadband router with a
> > INeXQ
> > PCI card. All was OK on the wireless front until we moved it more than 5
> > feet
> > away. then we started again with the loss.
> >
> > Is this a PCI technology issue or something to do with voltageor
> > inteference? Both mine and the custom models have 450 watt psu's and
> > 6600gt
> > gfx cards so ample for models.
> >
> > Has anyone any ideas why it could be doing this so consistantly on
> > multiple
> > machines or how to fix it.
> >
> > Thanks

=?Utf-8?B?c3R1YXJ0ams=?=

Sorry carol forgot to add. These are issues between card and router. ip
bumping is generally an indication of 24 hour dhcp licensing with the ISP,
not a very smart move on their part. Whether the router is connected to the
web or not, it should still allow internetwork communication and IP
allocation.

Tell your friend to drop AOL. that's what my friend has and they said he
could go wireless if he upgraded, then sent him a w/l router with no card
(how is that one wireless eh), also his old modem was usb where as the new
one is lan only, ie need ethernet adp or w/ card, he had neither until I
upgraded his board last month. AOL aren't the smartest of the munch