Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > After boot up ...

After boot up ...

=?Utf-8?B?c2hpdmEgZA==?=

Hello all,

now that i have my retail (oem) version of Win XP Pro 64-bit installed and
running smoothly, the task manager reveals something very interesting. i was
wondering if anyone out there sees the same thing:

when i open task manager right after boot up, i have 19 files/srvcs running.
about 3 minutes after that 6 more files will run without anything in the
startup options and in msconfig and in admin services (ctrl panel). they are

1. wscntfy.exe
2. alg.exe
3. svchost.exe
4. NvSvc64.exe (no doubt from my Nvidia card)
5. SmSvcHost.exe
6. cisv.exe

then about 7 mins after that (10 mins into the boot) a 7th file will start.

7. cidaemon.exe

And this happens all the time. i don't run any other programs, jst the task
mngr. my question(s) are, where do these come from? (except #6). How do they
run. are they secret lines in the registry? why don't they come right in on
boot up? very strange. especially that last file. cidaemon.exe won't start to
run until 10 mins after boot up. anyone else notice this stuffs?

thanks
shiva d

=?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=

Hi,
Here's all you need to know about cidaemon.exe
http://www.liutilities.com/products/...rary/cidaemon/
"cidaemon.exe is an indexing service which catalogues files on your computer
to enable for faster file searches. This program is important for the stable
and secure running of your computer and should not be terminated"
It is important that the name of the service is spelled "cidaemon.exe"
because there is a malware named "CiDaemon.exe".
Carlos

"shiva d" wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> now that i have my retail (oem) version of Win XP Pro 64-bit installed and
> running smoothly, the task manager reveals something very interesting. i was
> wondering if anyone out there sees the same thing:
>
> when i open task manager right after boot up, i have 19 files/srvcs running.
> about 3 minutes after that 6 more files will run without anything in the
> startup options and in msconfig and in admin services (ctrl panel). they are
>
> 1. wscntfy.exe
> 2. alg.exe
> 3. svchost.exe
> 4. NvSvc64.exe (no doubt from my Nvidia card)
> 5. SmSvcHost.exe
> 6. cisv.exe
>
> then about 7 mins after that (10 mins into the boot) a 7th file will start.
>
> 7. cidaemon.exe
>
> And this happens all the time. i don't run any other programs, jst the task
> mngr. my question(s) are, where do these come from? (except #6). How do they
> run. are they secret lines in the registry? why don't they come right in on
> boot up? very strange. especially that last file. cidaemon.exe won't start to
> run until 10 mins after boot up. anyone else notice this stuffs?
>
> thanks
> shiva d

Theo

You should note that "retail" editions and "oem" editions
are two (2) different products. The Retail package can be
transferred from one computer to another, only one instance
installed at a time, but an OEM package is tied to a single
computer until death and cannot be legally transferred to
another computer.

Retail versions entitle you to Support directly from Microsoft.

OEM Support is only available from the OEM manufacturer of
your computer like Dell, HP, Gateway, etc. If you buy an
OEM version, with a qualifying piece of hardware, from
someplace like NewEgg then there is virtually no support.

shiva d wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> now that i have my retail (oem) version of Win XP Pro 64-bit installed and
> running smoothly, the task manager reveals something very interesting. i was
> wondering if anyone out there sees the same thing:
>
> when i open task manager right after boot up, i have 19 files/srvcs running.
> about 3 minutes after that 6 more files will run without anything in the
> startup options and in msconfig and in admin services (ctrl panel). they are
>
> 1. wscntfy.exe
> 2. alg.exe
> 3. svchost.exe
> 4. NvSvc64.exe (no doubt from my Nvidia card)
> 5. SmSvcHost.exe
> 6. cisv.exe
>
> then about 7 mins after that (10 mins into the boot) a 7th file will start.
>
> 7. cidaemon.exe
>
> And this happens all the time. i don't run any other programs, jst the task
> mngr. my question(s) are, where do these come from? (except #6). How do they
> run. are they secret lines in the registry? why don't they come right in on
> boot up? very strange. especially that last file. cidaemon.exe won't start to
> run until 10 mins after boot up. anyone else notice this stuffs?
>
> thanks
> shiva d

Tony Sperling

Are you serious? This not being an MS product, do you suppose it should
really not be turned off? This is what third-party people would be expected
to tell you, but normally you'd be fine disabling the Indexer Service
f.ex. - and that is an internal service.

Tony. . .

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
> Here's all you need to know about cidaemon.exe
> http://www.liutilities.com/products/...rary/cidaemon/
> "cidaemon.exe is an indexing service which catalogues files on your
> computer
> to enable for faster file searches. This program is important for the
> stable
> and secure running of your computer and should not be terminated"
> It is important that the name of the service is spelled "cidaemon.exe"
> because there is a malware named "CiDaemon.exe".
> Carlos
>
> "shiva d" wrote:
>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> now that i have my retail (oem) version of Win XP Pro 64-bit installed
>> and
>> running smoothly, the task manager reveals something very interesting. i
>> was
>> wondering if anyone out there sees the same thing:
>>
>> when i open task manager right after boot up, i have 19 files/srvcs
>> running.
>> about 3 minutes after that 6 more files will run without anything in the
>> startup options and in msconfig and in admin services (ctrl panel). they
>> are
>>
>> 1. wscntfy.exe
>> 2. alg.exe
>> 3. svchost.exe
>> 4. NvSvc64.exe (no doubt from my Nvidia card)
>> 5. SmSvcHost.exe
>> 6. cisv.exe
>>
>> then about 7 mins after that (10 mins into the boot) a 7th file will
>> start.
>>
>> 7. cidaemon.exe
>>
>> And this happens all the time. i don't run any other programs, jst the
>> task
>> mngr. my question(s) are, where do these come from? (except #6). How do
>> they
>> run. are they secret lines in the registry? why don't they come right in
>> on
>> boot up? very strange. especially that last file. cidaemon.exe won't
>> start to
>> run until 10 mins after boot up. anyone else notice this stuffs?
>>
>> thanks
>> shiva d

=?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=

Tony,
cidaemon.exe belongs to MS.
It is not third party.
Check here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/899869/en-us

Carlos

"Tony Sperling" wrote:

> Are you serious? This not being an MS product, do you suppose it should
> really not be turned off? This is what third-party people would be expected
> to tell you, but normally you'd be fine disabling the Indexer Service
> f.ex. - and that is an internal service.
>
> Tony. . .

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi,
> > Here's all you need to know about cidaemon.exe
> > http://www.liutilities.com/products/...rary/cidaemon/
> > "cidaemon.exe is an indexing service which catalogues files on your
> > computer
> > to enable for faster file searches. This program is important for the
> > stable
> > and secure running of your computer and should not be terminated"
> > It is important that the name of the service is spelled "cidaemon.exe"
> > because there is a malware named "CiDaemon.exe".
> > Carlos
> >
> > "shiva d" wrote:
> >
> >> Hello all,
> >>
> >> now that i have my retail (oem) version of Win XP Pro 64-bit installed
> >> and
> >> running smoothly, the task manager reveals something very interesting. i
> >> was
> >> wondering if anyone out there sees the same thing:
> >>
> >> when i open task manager right after boot up, i have 19 files/srvcs
> >> running.
> >> about 3 minutes after that 6 more files will run without anything in the
> >> startup options and in msconfig and in admin services (ctrl panel). they
> >> are
> >>
> >> 1. wscntfy.exe
> >> 2. alg.exe
> >> 3. svchost.exe
> >> 4. NvSvc64.exe (no doubt from my Nvidia card)
> >> 5. SmSvcHost.exe
> >> 6. cisv.exe
> >>
> >> then about 7 mins after that (10 mins into the boot) a 7th file will
> >> start.
> >>
> >> 7. cidaemon.exe
> >>
> >> And this happens all the time. i don't run any other programs, jst the
> >> task
> >> mngr. my question(s) are, where do these come from? (except #6). How do
> >> they
> >> run. are they secret lines in the registry? why don't they come right in
> >> on
> >> boot up? very strange. especially that last file. cidaemon.exe won't
> >> start to
> >> run until 10 mins after boot up. anyone else notice this stuffs?
> >>
> >> thanks
> >> shiva d

Tony Sperling

Oh - I see!

Seems to be a spot-on diagnosis, now.

These links appear to be contradicting each other somewhat. I would at least
try and set the Indexing Service to 'Manual' to keep it from starting at
boot-time.

Tony. . .

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Tony,
> cidaemon.exe belongs to MS.
> It is not third party.
> Check here:
>
> Carlos
>
> "Tony Sperling" wrote:
>
>> Are you serious? This not being an MS product, do you suppose it should
>> really not be turned off? This is what third-party people would be
>> expected
>> to tell you, but normally you'd be fine disabling the Indexer Service
>> f.ex. - and that is an internal service.
>>
>> Tony. . .

>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Hi,
>> > Here's all you need to know about cidaemon.exe
>> > http://www.liutilities.com/products/...rary/cidaemon/
>> > "cidaemon.exe is an indexing service which catalogues files on your
>> > computer
>> > to enable for faster file searches. This program is important for the
>> > stable
>> > and secure running of your computer and should not be terminated"
>> > It is important that the name of the service is spelled "cidaemon.exe"
>> > because there is a malware named "CiDaemon.exe".
>> > Carlos

John Barnes

Sounds like it waits until the machine has spare cycles before it starts.

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...