Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Application Deployment

Application Deployment

Eric A. Johnson

I have figured out how to get my application wrapped in a deployable
shell -- to be able to install it on other users' machines via MSI and so
on. However, I am having several problems:
(1) I have tried to get shortcuts to appear on the user's desktop and in the
Start Menu, and they appear there, but they actually only go to the user's
desktop! I need a shortcut to the program.
(2) The directory that it gets installed into defaults to C:\Program
Files\Default Company Name... and that's a quote. I want to change it from
"Default Company Name" to my actual company name. How can I do this?
(3) When I release a new build, upon attempted installation, an error pops
up stating that the previous program must be uninstalled via Add/Remove
Programs before the new version can be installed. How can I change this so
that it can overwrite it instead?
(4) I have figured out howto create an icon and make it appear in the upper
left hand corner of the program window and on the bottom of the screen,
where it minimizes it to. Is there a way to make this same icon appear
where the actual program itself it? If not, how can I make it use a
different icon there?

Any and all help with these would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Eric

Michael Nemtsev

Hello Eric,

Have you tried any install programs? Like VS setup project?

EJ> I have figured out how to get my application wrapped in a deployable
EJ> shell -- to be able to install it on other users' machines via MSI
EJ> and so
EJ> on. However, I am having several problems:
EJ> (1) I have tried to get shortcuts to appear on the user's desktop
EJ> and in the
EJ> Start Menu, and they appear there, but they actually only go to the
EJ> user's
EJ> desktop! I need a shortcut to the program.
EJ> (2) The directory that it gets installed into defaults to C:\Program
EJ> Files\Default Company Name... and that's a quote. I want to change
EJ> it from
EJ> "Default Company Name" to my actual company name. How can I do
EJ> this?
EJ> (3) When I release a new build, upon attempted installation, an
EJ> error pops
EJ> up stating that the previous program must be uninstalled via
EJ> Add/Remove
EJ> Programs before the new version can be installed. How can I change
EJ> this so
EJ> that it can overwrite it instead?
EJ> (4) I have figured out howto create an icon and make it appear in
EJ> the upper
EJ> left hand corner of the program window and on the bottom of the
EJ> screen,
EJ> where it minimizes it to. Is there a way to make this same icon
EJ> appear
EJ> where the actual program itself it? If not, how can I make it use a
EJ> different icon there?
EJ> Any and all help with these would be greatly appreciated.
EJ>
EJ> Thanks,
EJ> Eric
---
WBR,
Michael Nemtsev :: blog: http://spaces.msn.com/laflour

"At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not
cease to be insipid." (c) Friedrich Nietzsche

Eric A. Johnson

I finally got it to work properly... just took a lot of experimentation!
Thank you.

-- Eric

news:(E-Mail Removed) .com...