Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > DVD/CD-RW Drive Goes Bonkers With Blank Disc

DVD/CD-RW Drive Goes Bonkers With Blank Disc

SJ Carter

I've been using a Gateway laptop for the last year and a half without
any real problems. I've created countless data backup CDs with blank
discs within that amount of time. Today I tried putting in a blank
disc, of the exact same brand that I always use, and the disk drive
started rumbling. It emitted a noise that sounded like morse code and
my system dramatically slowed down. I tried several different CDs,
all scratch free, and got the same results. I then tried a different
brand of blank discs, with the exact same outcome. When I put in a CD
that already has data it works fine, though. Anyone know what could
be causing this, and how I can fix it? Thanks.

SJ Carter

I forgot to include: I went to the Hardware profile manager and it
showed that the drive was functioning properly and enabled.

Plato

SJ Carter wrote:

> I've been using a Gateway laptop for the last year and a half without
> any real problems. I've created countless data backup CDs with blank
> discs within that amount of time. Today I tried putting in a blank
> disc, of the exact same brand that I always use, and the disk drive
> started rumbling. It emitted a noise that sounded like morse code and
> my system dramatically slowed down. I tried several different CDs,
> all scratch free, and got the same results. I then tried a different
> brand of blank discs, with the exact same outcome. When I put in a CD
> that already has data it works fine, though. Anyone know what could
> be causing this, and how I can fix it? Thanks.

Bad CD writer.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/