Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > very much new to c need ur help

very much new to c need ur help

Golden California Girls

Ben Pfaff wrote:
> Richard Heathfield <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
>> For what it's worth, when I use SMS, I write in English. When I use IRC
>> (which is very rare nowadays), I write in English. When I contribute to a
>> Web forum, I write in English. I have no idea why others do otherwise.

> My wife teaches middle-school English (children approximately
> ages 11 to 13). A surprising number of students try to turn in
> homework assignments written in SMSese. These students are
> summarily told to rewrite them in English.

That is incorrect. They should be given them back with a large F across the top
and an attached recommendation for remedial English class with a note to see a
counselor and schedule a parent teacher conference. When you allow them a
second shot at doing the work you don't teach them the facts of life, there is
no second chance at a first impression. Can you see them later in life filling
out an employment application in SMSese? Can you see society giving them
welfare because they can't write English? Nip it in the bud and 99% of them
will become productive members of society.

Not that I know how to teach mind you.

Kenny McCormack

In article <fh8vbo$38b$(E-Mail Removed)>,
santosh <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I have heard the claim that it's too difficult to
>> compose and type English properly at the kind of speed that prevails
>> in some IRC channels, but this is not in keeping with my experience.

I will grant that RH is well educated and a native speaker of English.
Many are not so fortunate.

>And if everyone typed in proper English there would be no need for these
>silly abbreviations. Granted bandwidth usage would increase by a
>fraction, but I doubt that it's of concern to even dial-up modem users.
>
>Barring exceptional cases I can't think of any benefits in using these
>abbreviations.

In most cases, it's the only English they know. If not for SMS speak,
they'd be posting in their native language (some Indian dialect, or, if
we're lucky, Hindi)

Charlie Gordon

"santosh" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de news:
fh8vbo$38b$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Richard Heathfield
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote on Monday 12 Nov 2007 12:45 pm:
>
>> santosh said:

>>> Many people from the world of SMS, Web forums and Chatrooms are
>>> unfamiliar with the rather high standards of the technical groups on
>>> Usenet.

>> Many people from the world of English are unfamiliar with the patois
>> du jour of SMS, Web forums and Chatrooms. The onus for communicating
>> clearly is on those who have most to gain from the communication. If
>> http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wishes to seek advice from C experts
>> (which is how I have chosen to interpret his posting of "i want to be
>> the best in watever i do" in this newsgroup), he would do well to
>> learn how to communicate effectively with them. If he is satisfied
>> with the kind of experts you get in other fora, well, that's his
>> choice.

> I was raising a point against CBFalconer's assertion that the post was a
> deliberate foul-up. It's certainly a foul-up but I would
> replace "deliberate" with "ignorant", at least until it's established
> that the OP was trolling.
>
>> For what it's worth, when I use SMS, I write in English.

> As do I, one the rare occasions that I find myself using SMS.
>
> Apparently SMS is charged by the character, so abbreviations are
> tolerable there. But it soon gets to be a nasty habit contaminating all
> written communication.

That's not the real reason: SMS is charged by the message, itself limited in
size to about 160 characters. Telegrams used to be charged by the word, and
prompted the telegraphese style where one only keeps meaningful words and
drops articles, prepositions, verbs...

What prompted SMSese is more likely the awkwardness of the input medium: the
cell phone keypad. Typing u instead of you is indeed much quicker and
simpler. If people posted on Usenet from regular cell-phones (no
blackberries SMSese would become ubiquitousm and no amount of ranting
would stop it. Thankfully, most posters do it from PCs, so we can try and
enforce a minimum of style, and stop this nasty contamination.

--
Chqrlie.

Charlie Gordon

"Ben Pfaff" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de news:
(E-Mail Removed)...
> Richard Heathfield <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
>> For what it's worth, when I use SMS, I write in English. When I use IRC
>> (which is very rare nowadays), I write in English. When I contribute to a
>> Web forum, I write in English. I have no idea why others do otherwise.

> My wife teaches middle-school English (children approximately
> ages 11 to 13). A surprising number of students try to turn in
> homework assignments written in SMSese. These students are
> summarily told to rewrite them in English.

Do they submit them via email ?

--
Chqrlie.

Kenny McCormack

In article <473d3535$0$12477$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Charlie Gordon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>"Ben Pfaff" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de news:
>(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Richard Heathfield <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>>
>>> For what it's worth, when I use SMS, I write in English. When I use IRC
>>> (which is very rare nowadays), I write in English. When I contribute to a
>>> Web forum, I write in English. I have no idea why others do otherwise.

>> My wife teaches middle-school English (children approximately
>> ages 11 to 13). A surprising number of students try to turn in
>> homework assignments written in SMSese. These students are
>> summarily told to rewrite them in English.

>Do they submit them via email ?

No, by cell phone...

Joachim Schmitz

"CBFalconer" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Do snip
> anything in quotes that is not relevant to your reply, which
> especially includes sigs. Sigs are everything following the "-- "
> sig marker.

The first or the last?

> <http://cbfalconer.home.att.net>
> Try the download section.

Bye, Jojo

Mark McIntyre

Joachim Schmitz wrote:
> "CBFalconer" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Do snip
>> anything in quotes that is not relevant to your reply, which
>> especially includes sigs. Sigs are everything following the "-- "
>> sig marker.

> The first or the last?

Thats like saying, "which null is the end of the string, the first or
the last ?".

Axiomatically there /is/ only one sig marker. Everything after that is
not part of the message.

Joachim Schmitz

"Mark McIntyre" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:OgL%i.57333$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Joachim Schmitz wrote:
>> "CBFalconer" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Do snip
>>> anything in quotes that is not relevant to your reply, which
>>> especially includes sigs. Sigs are everything following the "-- "
>>> sig marker.

>> The first or the last?

> Thats like saying, "which null is the end of the string, the first or the
> last ?".
>
> Axiomatically there /is/ only one sig marker. Everything after that is not
> part of the message.

My question was a subtle (and apparently too subtle) hint at Chuck's too
long double sig.
He, who refuses to get that fixed, still gives advice to others to fix their
postings.

Tarique

Richard Heathfield wrote:
...snip..
>If
> (E-Mail Removed) wishes to seek advice from C experts (which is
> how I have chosen to interpret his posting of "i want to be the best in
> watever i do" in this newsgroup), he would do well to learn how to
> communicate effectively with them. If he is satisfied with the kind of
> experts you get in other fora, well, that's his choice.

Just to correct you,Ratika(Its an Indian name) seems to be a *she* ,a
rarity in this ng!

--
C is quirky, flawed, and an enormous success.
—Dennis Ritchie

Keith Thompson

Joachim Schmitz wrote:
[...]
> My question was a subtle (and apparently too subtle) hint at Chuck's
> too long double sig. He, who refuses to get that fixed, still gives
> advice to others to fix their postings.

And, as it happens, his advice is usually correct.