Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > EXTENDING A WIRELESS NETWORK

EXTENDING A WIRELESS NETWORK

Londell

I know this question may have been asked already, but I am trying to exten
the range of a wireless netowrk. The situation is that a pc one one side of
the office building is the one with the the wired modem/router attched to
it. I would like to know what is the simplest way to get the wireless signal
from that pc to the other side of the building where the 2 other pc's that I
want to connect are. I know that I am going to need at least one wireless
router, but what I am curious to know is what is the simplest way to extend
the range of the network? Should I just use multiple routers and set them up
as access points or does anyone know of a more simple solution? Any advice
is welcome

G Spot Tornado

On Tue, 7 Feb 2006 21:02:08 -0500, "Londell" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I know this question may have been asked already, but I am trying to exten
>the range of a wireless netowrk. The situation is that a pc one one side of
>the office building is the one with the the wired modem/router attched to
>it. I would like to know what is the simplest way to get the wireless signal
>from that pc to the other side of the building where the 2 other pc's that I
>want to connect are. I know that I am going to need at least one wireless
>router, but what I am curious to know is what is the simplest way to extend
>the range of the network? Should I just use multiple routers and set them up
>as access points or does anyone know of a more simple solution? Any advice
>is welcome

Well, just looking in here for the non-existant help for a problem I
was having....

After having bad experiences with several brands of routers and
ethernet bridge solutions.... I would recommend getting the Buffalo
High Power G Router and High Power 'Ethernet Converter' from Buffalo.
These have great range, power, and flexibility. The manuals leave a
lot to be desired, but the trouble to get it right is rewarded with
tremendous speed and low [no] maintenance. They can be had for about
$70 each[ including shipping] from Newegg.

I had been thinking my setup on the computers was wrong, that my 15
yrs with these boxes was wasted, etc. I changed a [POS] Motorola
ethernet bridge for the Buffalo, and suddenly my problems were solved
, and choirs of angels started singing!

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi

Wireless Coverage depends heavily on the Specific Environment. In most
cases, there is No Magic Hardware that can solve Distance issues.

The best Method to Extend your Wireless would depend on the nature of your
specific Environment.

Look at these pages they describe most of the options that are within the
means of Entry Level users, and choose the one that fits you environment
best.

Extending the Distance of Entry Level Wireless Network -
http://www.ezlan.net/Distance.html

Wirelessly Bridging Home/SOHO Network - http://www.ezlan.net/bridging.html

I Gain Antenna for Entry Level Wireless - http://www.ezlan.net/antennae.html

The most common solution used in a Professional Environment involves use of
multiple units (Access Point) connected with wire to the Network. Or WDS
http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Modes.html

Jack (MVP-Networking).

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...