Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Help Desperately Needed Posting to Usenet Through Google

Help Desperately Needed Posting to Usenet Through Google

Ashley Endicott

From where I work, the web is the only way I can read and post to
Usenet. Could someone _please_ tell me how to post to Usenet through
Google AND have my posts display just my username and NOT:

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)?

For instance, I've tried creating a few accounts through
groups.google.com and EVERY time, when I post to Usenet, it displays
as:

From: (E-Mail Removed)

I can not for the life of me figure out how to get it to just post
either of the two following ways:

From: Jane Doe

or simply:

From: Jane

I know it can be done, I see posts made through Google all over Usenet
done that way. I see NO WAY to change it in any 'Profile' or 'Account'
edit or setting anywhere.

What the hell am I missing?

I've even created several Gmail accounts thinking perhaps Google gives
those users an added perk of being able to post to Usenet with only
their names in the 'From:' field. No difference for me

Now, I realize that my e-mail address will always be visible in the
headers, that's not a concern. It's just I believe that a Usenet post
looks better (less noobish) when the post is from a 'name' and not
(E-Mail Removed).

Thanks in advance for any help cast my way...

Mike Easter

Ridiculous crossposting stripped immediately. Read in 24hshd, posted
there

Ashley Endicott wrote:
> From where I work, the web is the only way I can read and post to
> Usenet.

That is highly unlikely.

In the first place, the business about how an employer and the employers
hardware and software and internet connectivity are used or abused or
secured is very much the business and rights and responsibilities of the
employer.

In the second place, how an employee and an employer deal with their
mutual rights and responsibilities in an honest relationship and
contract with each other should be resolved optimally, not by some style
of stealing or cheating or abuse. Cheating employees acting in
violation of policies they have agreed with their employers about should
have their chops busted. Employers who have bad policies conflicting
with the proper function of their employees for work related issues
should amend the bad policies.

In the third place, the most common 'block' is about port 119 vs port 80
rather than something else.

There are a number of newsservers which access by port 80 as well as
port 119 and some which access by quite a number of different methods.

http://news.aioe.org/ nntp.aioe.org - access ports 119 or 80
http://news.aioe.org/spip.php?rubrique9 How to configure the
most common newsreaders -- Win: Tbird Moz Opera Gravity XNews

> Could someone _please_ tell me how to post to Usenet through
> Google AND have my posts display just my username and NOT:
>
> (E-Mail Removed)?

You can't. GG requires your login address to display in the From which
is munged to other GG users with a little captcha resolvable function,
but clearly accessible to anyone who is reading a usenet group not with
GG.

> I know it can be done,

You are mistaken, unless you mean how the display works without 'more
options'.

With the 'first' GG view, only your handle shows. When more options is
activated in GG, your handle plus your munged email address of the login
is exposed. When the munged portion is clicked, a captcha enables the
GG viewer to see the email address you logged in.

> What the hell am I missing?

You are missing the sensibility of not using GG to read and post to
usenet. Your frustration with the login display is only one of about a
dozen or so distinct disadvantages to being a GGer. You should stop
doing so immediately and get a newsserver and use a newsreader and nntp
instead.

--
Mike Easter

Whiskers

On 2007-11-11, Ashley Endicott <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> From where I work, the web is the only way I can read and post to
> Usenet.

Ask your employer to permit you access to a proper news-server, if posting
to newsgroups is part of your job. Otherwise, well, don't do it you might
get fired.

> Could someone _please_ tell me how to post to Usenet through
> Google AND have my posts display just my username and NOT:
>
> (E-Mail Removed)?
>
> For instance, I've tried creating a few accounts through
> groups.google.com and EVERY time, when I post to Usenet, it displays
> as:
>
> From: (E-Mail Removed)
>
> I can not for the life of me figure out how to get it to just post
> either of the two following ways:
>
> From: Jane Doe
>
> or simply:
>
> From: Jane
>
> I know it can be done, I see posts made through Google all over Usenet
> done that way.

I'd be interested to see examples of that.

> I see NO WAY to change it in any 'Profile' or 'Account'
> edit or setting anywhere.
>
> What the hell am I missing?
>
> I've even created several Gmail accounts thinking perhaps Google gives
> those users an added perk of being able to post to Usenet with only
> their names in the 'From:' field. No difference for me
>
> Now, I realize that my e-mail address will always be visible in the
> headers, that's not a concern. It's just I believe that a Usenet post
> looks better (less noobish) when the post is from a 'name' and not
> (E-Mail Removed).

Only a newbie would think that. The email address and nic are both
integral parts of your identity, in my opinion. My newsreader, and as far
as I can remember all the other ones I've used, always shows the complete
From: header at the start of each article, although it is configured to
show only the nic in the 'article list' to save space.

> Thanks in advance for any help cast my way...

I suspect that you aren't entering a "nickname"; to do that, you have to
click on 'Subscribe to this group' while looking at the group you want to
post to, and make sure the nickname you want is displayed there. But that
won't do anything to hide the email address from anyone. (Just another
example of Google's rotten interface and serious lack of understanding of
what usenet is and how it works).

Perhaps what you have noticed is that your particular newsreader is not
showing the email address in its 'parsed' display if there is also a
"nickname" in the From: header. Possibly simply because you have that
'column' too narrow to fit the complete header in. That is just an
artefact of one particular program and is no indication of what anyone else
can see.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

Ashley Endicott

On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 16:29:13 -0800, "Mike Easter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Ridiculous crossposting stripped immediately. Read in 24hshd, posted
>there

Translation: Stupidnews© doesn't carry the other groups

alt.comp.google,google.public.support.general,comp .internet.services.google
These groups are all 'Google-centric' so I've putum' back for ya :-p

>Ashley Endicott wrote:
>> From where I work, the web is the only way I can read and post to
>> Usenet.

>That is highly unlikely.

Unlikely or not it's a FACT, sweetie.

Where I'm employed it is perfectly acceptable for the employees to use
company computers & bandwidth for _occasional_ personal web use.

<convoluted ethics rant sniped>

>In the third place, the most common 'block' is about port 119 vs port 80
>rather than something else.

Mensa member, right?

>There are a number of newsservers which access by port 80 as well as
>port 119 and some which access by quite a number of different methods.

Name ONE - listening on ports 80 or 8080 that allows Usenet posting
through IE (and *only* IE) other than Google Groups, Einstein.

>http://news.aioe.org/ nntp.aioe.org - access ports 119 or 80
>http://news.aioe.org/spip.php?rubrique9 How to configure the
>most common newsreaders -- Win: Tbird Moz Opera Gravity XNews

Someone as concerned about work ethics as you want us to believe you
are should know that installing unauthorized third-party software on
an employer's equipment is strictly forbidden in the majority of
corporate America. As is the use of PortableApps on a thumb drive.

>> Could someone _please_ tell me how to post to Usenet through
>> Google AND have my posts display just my username and NOT:
>>
>> (E-Mail Removed)?

>You can't. GG requires your login address to display in the From which
>is munged to other GG users with a little captcha resolvable function,
>but clearly accessible to anyone who is reading a usenet group not with
>GG.

You really don't have a clue, do you. Your head is so totally far up
your ass you just spew whatever you think sounds good at the moment,
right?

You obviously have never set up a Google posting account, and that's
not a bad thing. But your compulsive need to reply to something you
obviously know nothing about simply wastes my time and makes you look
like a complete and total idiot. Can you not see that?

If you don't know the answer to a question simply ignore it.

>> I know it can be done,

>You are mistaken, unless you mean how the display works without 'more
>options'.

I'll go r-e-a-l slow this time. The examples below were posted in this
newsgroup, today, November 10.

From your headers I see you're using Outhouse Excuse which may be
contributing to your confusion. Can you not see the difference between
the GOOD and BAD examples below in your crippled news reader?

From: sachin <(E-Mail Removed)> <-----GOOD !!!!
Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
Subject: Re: Dead hard drive?
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2007 23:00:50 -0000

>You are missing the sensibility of not using GG to read and post to
>usenet. Your frustration with the login display is only one of about a
>dozen or so distinct disadvantages to being a GGer. You should stop
>doing so immediately and get a newsserver and use a newsreader and nntp
>instead.

I can't from work, ****wit. Which was the whole reason for the
original post.

If anyone has any REAL knowledge of how to do what I'm wanting to do
would you please lend a hand? I would truly appreciate it.

Mike Easter

Ashley Endicott wrote:
> "Mike Easter"

>>> Could someone _please_ tell me how to post to Usenet through
>>> Google AND have my posts display just my username and NOT:
>>>
>>> (E-Mail Removed)?

>> You can't. GG requires your login address to display in the From
>> which is munged to other GG users with a little captcha resolvable
>> function, but clearly accessible to anyone who is reading a usenet
>> group not with GG.

> The examples below were posted in this
> newsgroup, today, November 10.

> GOOD JUJU
>
> From: Ozark <(E-Mail Removed)>

Ozark has put 'Ozark' into the Name field in GG profile. I call that a
'handle'. Notice that the email addy still 'shows' in GG in the more
options as I described. The email addy also is visible in the headers
of nntp newsreaders.

> From: sachin <(E-Mail Removed)> <-----GOOD !!!!

sachin has put 'sachin' into the Name field in GG profile.

> From: (E-Mail Removed) <----BAD!

thehipfan2 has left the Profile Name field empty in GG profile.

>>> What the hell am I missing?

Profile. Login to GG and at the top are several clickable functions:
login@address | My Groups | Favorites | Profile | Help | My Account |
Sign out

Click Profile and populate Name and you will have a handle in GG.

--
Mike Easter

richard

On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 00:04:38 +0000, Ashley Endicott wrote:

> From where I work, the web is the only way I can read and post to
> Usenet. Could someone _please_ tell me how to post to Usenet through
> Google AND have my posts display just my username and NOT:
>
> (E-Mail Removed)?
>
> For instance, I've tried creating a few accounts through
> groups.google.com and EVERY time, when I post to Usenet, it displays
> as:
>
> From: (E-Mail Removed)
>
> I can not for the life of me figure out how to get it to just post
> either of the two following ways:
>
> From: Jane Doe
>
> or simply:
>
> From: Jane
>
> I know it can be done, I see posts made through Google all over Usenet
> done that way. I see NO WAY to change it in any 'Profile' or 'Account'
> edit or setting anywhere.
>
> What the hell am I missing?
>
> I've even created several Gmail accounts thinking perhaps Google gives
> those users an added perk of being able to post to Usenet with only
> their names in the 'From:' field. No difference for me
>
> Now, I realize that my e-mail address will always be visible in the
> headers, that's not a concern. It's just I believe that a Usenet post
> looks better (less noobish) when the post is from a 'name' and not
> (E-Mail Removed).
>
> Thanks in advance for any help cast my way...

Subscribe to groups. Once you do this, the nick will be shown instead of
the addy.

Ashley Endicott

On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 06:45:57 -0500, richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Subscribe to groups. Once you do this, the nick will be shown instead of
>the addy.

THANK YOU! That was it!

A short, simple, clear and concise answer that was right on the money!

When you have 'Subscribed' to a group your are given another 'extra'
option of "how do want your post to appear" that you do not get if you
merely click on a group and try to post.

Kind of a kludgy way of doing things IMO but something I can definitely
live with.

Thanks again, Richard...(I owe you one

Ashley Endicott

On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 19:33:18 -0800, "Mike Easter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Ozark has put 'Ozark' into the Name field in GG profile. I call that a
>'handle'. Notice that the email addy still 'shows' in GG in the more
>options as I described. The email addy also is visible in the headers
>of nntp newsreaders.

The only thing I "notice" is how completely self-absorbed you are in
giving erroneous information.

>Profile. Login to GG and at the top are several clickable functions:
>login@address | My Groups | Favorites | Profile | Help | My Account |
>Sign out
>
>Click Profile and populate Name and you will have a handle in GG.

Let me guess, you actually went to the trouble of creating an account
on Google Groups, stumbled around clicking on different 'things',
until you clicked on 'Profile' and saw what you thought was SURELY the
answer to my problem and then rushed back to 24hshd to try and save
what little credibility you might have left. Without first trying a
test post?

Does that sound about right?

Because if you HAD tried a test post you would've seen that you are,
once again, W R O N G !

How does it feel to be so consistently wrong, Mikey?

You REALLY need to get laid, loser.

Mike Easter

richard wrote:

> Subscribe to groups. Once you do this, the nick will be shown instead
> of the addy.

When you subscribe to a group, you can subscribe with or without a nick.

When you adopt a nick or handle in profile as I described earlier, it
will be displayed regardless of whether you are subscribed to the group
or not.

The 'advantage' of using the subscribing nick method is that you can
have a different nick in different subscribed groups more easily. The
advantage of using the profile nick method is that it is 'universal' -
done once it doesn't have to be done any more.

It depends on whether you want to have to have mulitple personas all
over the place or if you want to be 'efficiently' the same persona all
the time.

--
Mike Easter

Mike Easter

Ashley Endicott wrote:

> Let me guess, you actually went to the trouble of creating an account
> on Google Groups,

I've had an account in GG a very long time to help the people who are
not able to help themselves use GG. Like you.

> first trying a
> test post?

I have had a single nickname for a GG login in one group for a long
time. Yesterday I tested the Profile name function to determine if it
would work properly and it did.

http://snipr.com/1th22

That link demonstrates the correct function of the Profile Name in the
group alt.test.

--
Mike Easter