Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > LAN Card Keeps Taking Over - Help a cute Girl!

LAN Card Keeps Taking Over - Help a cute Girl!

=?Utf-8?B?R1c=?=

Hey! My desktop is set up with a wireless Linksys adapter. Everything works
fine. The Local Area Network connection icon for a wired connection is
always trying to request an IP address based. There is no lan cable plugged
into it. I went into device manager to disable the Intel (R) PRO/100 VE
Network adapter. When I reboot, it's enabled again. I tried to uninstall
the driver. When I reboot, the driver is magically reinstalled. Do I have
to get someone to open the pc, and pull the card out, or is there another way
to stop this?

Thanks!

Tammie

Chuck [MVP]

On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 09:27:01 -0800, GW <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hey! My desktop is set up with a wireless Linksys adapter. Everything works
>fine. The Local Area Network connection icon for a wired connection is
>always trying to request an IP address based. There is no lan cable plugged
>into it. I went into device manager to disable the Intel (R) PRO/100 VE
>Network adapter. When I reboot, it's enabled again. I tried to uninstall
>the driver. When I reboot, the driver is magically reinstalled. Do I have
>to get someone to open the pc, and pull the card out, or is there another way
>to stop this?
>
>Thanks!
>
>Tammie

Tammie,

Why do you want the Ethernet connection disabled? Windows is designed to
support 2 or more active LAN connections.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/09/automatic-metrics-and-ability-to-roam.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/0...y-to-roam.html

--
Cheers,
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]

GW <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hey! My desktop is set up with a wireless Linksys adapter.
> Everything works fine. The Local Area Network connection icon for a
> wired connection is always trying to request an IP address based.
> There is no lan cable plugged into it. I went into device manager to
> disable the Intel (R) PRO/100 VE Network adapter. When I reboot,
> it's enabled again. I tried to uninstall the driver. When I reboot,
> the driver is magically reinstalled. Do I have to get someone to
> open the pc, and pull the card out, or is there another way to stop
> this?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Tammie

Trying to ignore for the moment that your subject line sets the
gender-equality movement back a number of years.....

a) your disconnected Ethernet card shouldn't be trying to get an IP
address - what are the exact symptoms, please?

b) what is the exact OS you're using?

c) why would you want to uninstall a perfectly useful Ethernet adapter?
Presuming you're on WinXP, it should actually let you use both at once,and
pick the faster connection.

=?Utf-8?B?R1c=?=

Thanks! I am networked wirelessly and will not be runing cable to this
desktop. XP Home SP2. Symptoms: in the package tray, the little icon
showing two little computer screens for the local area connection, when I
placed my mouse poiner over, said trying to aquire IP address.

I just don't need the overhead.

Thanks!

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote:

> GW <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > Hey! My desktop is set up with a wireless Linksys adapter.
> > Everything works fine. The Local Area Network connection icon for a
> > wired connection is always trying to request an IP address based.
> > There is no lan cable plugged into it. I went into device manager to
> > disable the Intel (R) PRO/100 VE Network adapter. When I reboot,
> > it's enabled again. I tried to uninstall the driver. When I reboot,
> > the driver is magically reinstalled. Do I have to get someone to
> > open the pc, and pull the card out, or is there another way to stop
> > this?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Tammie

> Trying to ignore for the moment that your subject line sets the
> gender-equality movement back a number of years.....
>
> a) your disconnected Ethernet card shouldn't be trying to get an IP
> address - what are the exact symptoms, please?
>
> b) what is the exact OS you're using?
>
> c) why would you want to uninstall a perfectly useful Ethernet adapter?
> Presuming you're on WinXP, it should actually let you use both at once,and
> pick the faster connection.

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]

GW <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Thanks! I am networked wirelessly and will not be runing cable to
> this desktop. XP Home SP2. Symptoms: in the package tray, the
> little icon showing two little computer screens for the local area
> connection, when I placed my mouse poiner over, said trying to aquire
> IP address.
>
> I just don't need the overhead.

Go to control panel | network connections, change to Details view, and look
at the status. If nothing's plugged in, it should say "Network cable
disconnected." And hence, it shouldn't be trying to get an IP address.
Honest.

However, since I'm quite sure you're not making this up to get attention -

a) You can right-click on Local Area Connection & pick Disable, or disable
the device in Device Manager.

b) Note that if you're using a computer preinstalled with a lot of crap
(such as Dell Dimensions & other home PC models tend to have on them) you
probably have some additional network management software on this computer
that's doing this - I always uninstall that stuff & use the built-in Windows
networking tools to manage wired/wireless networking.

HTH.

> Thanks!
>
> "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote:
>
>> GW <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> Hey! My desktop is set up with a wireless Linksys adapter.
>>> Everything works fine. The Local Area Network connection icon for a
>>> wired connection is always trying to request an IP address based.
>>> There is no lan cable plugged into it. I went into device manager
>>> to disable the Intel (R) PRO/100 VE Network adapter. When I reboot,
>>> it's enabled again. I tried to uninstall the driver. When I
>>> reboot, the driver is magically reinstalled. Do I have to get
>>> someone to open the pc, and pull the card out, or is there another
>>> way to stop this?
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>> Tammie

>> Trying to ignore for the moment that your subject line sets the
>> gender-equality movement back a number of years.....
>>
>> a) your disconnected Ethernet card shouldn't be trying to get an IP
>> address - what are the exact symptoms, please?
>>
>> b) what is the exact OS you're using?
>>
>> c) why would you want to uninstall a perfectly useful Ethernet
>> adapter? Presuming you're on WinXP, it should actually let you use
>> both at once,and pick the faster connection.

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
You have to leave the NIC installed correctly and disable it by right
clicking in the device manger and choose disable.
If you take away the drivers then in the next boot the system finds New
Hardware and since the drivers to your card are available through Windows it
installs them automatically.
Otherwise, if it bothers you so much, take out the card, or disable it in
the BIOS if it is an On board card.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"GW" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hey! My desktop is set up with a wireless Linksys adapter. Everything
> works
> fine. The Local Area Network connection icon for a wired connection is
> always trying to request an IP address based. There is no lan cable
> plugged
> into it. I went into device manager to disable the Intel (R) PRO/100 VE
> Network adapter. When I reboot, it's enabled again. I tried to uninstall
> the driver. When I reboot, the driver is magically reinstalled. Do I
> have
> to get someone to open the pc, and pull the card out, or is there another
> way
> to stop this?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Tammie

Re: Population growth: the gift that keeps on taking johnwesley55@lycos.com Digital Photography 10 05-14-2006 02:08 PM
870 slow in lan but fast from the wan to lan, can you help me? Euclides Cisco 6 01-26-2006 01:20 PM
lan-to-lan vpn over adsl blaj Cisco 0 11-19-2003 08:32 PM
Difference in module_eval taking block vs. taking string (1.8 bug?) Jim Cain Ruby 1 07-18-2003 02:01 AM

Advertisments