Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Need help duplicating laptop hard drive

Need help duplicating laptop hard drive

q1m7ot001@sneakemail.com

My laptop has a 180 gig drive and I am using only 50 GB. When I try
to copy this drive to a 60 gb drive using Norton Ghost 12 I get the
message the destination drive is to small. Do I need a 180 gig hard
drive to do a backup?

Larry

Basically, what you are doing is "cloning" your drive. You can only clone to
another drive that is the same size or larger. You can't go to a smaller
drive.

Larry

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
: My laptop has a 180 gig drive and I am using only 50 GB. When I try
: to copy this drive to a 60 gb drive using Norton Ghost 12 I get the
: message the destination drive is to small. Do I need a 180 gig hard
: drive to do a backup?
:

D@Z

how about partitioning your laptop hard drive into 2 partitions, one 60gb
and the other 120gb, ghost the smaller one to your back up drive, partition
magic can do this with ease, although i think windows xp can do this as
well
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> My laptop has a 180 gig drive and I am using only 50 GB. When I try
> to copy this drive to a 60 gb drive using Norton Ghost 12 I get the
> message the destination drive is to small. Do I need a 180 gig hard
> drive to do a backup?

chuckcar

news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com:

> My laptop has a 180 gig drive and I am using only 50 GB. When I try
> to copy this drive to a 60 gb drive using Norton Ghost 12 I get the
> message the destination drive is to small. Do I need a 180 gig hard
> drive to do a backup?

Why not just copy the files from one to the other. BTW if you are
copying Windows, that's a bad idea unless the computers are *completely*
identical.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

Jerry G.

You can only clone a drive to a larger one. You cannot clone from a
larger drive to a smaller one!

--

Jerry G.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
My laptop has a 180 gig drive and I am using only 50 GB. When I try
to copy this drive to a 60 gb drive using Norton Ghost 12 I get the
message the destination drive is to small. Do I need a 180 gig hard
drive to do a backup?

Herb Stein

"D@Z" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4735f8d3$(E-Mail Removed)...
> how about partitioning your laptop hard drive into 2 partitions, one 60gb
> and the other 120gb, ghost the smaller one to your back up drive,
> partition magic can do this with ease, although i think windows xp can do
> this as well

Try gpartd-livecd which is Linux based but works quite well and is free.

--
Herb