Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Firefox and the ad blocker plus plugin

Reply
Thread Tools

Firefox and the ad blocker plus plugin

 
 
ded
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-10-2007
I posted this as a reply in another thread concerning sites that
won't load in FF, so I thought I'd re-post in case anyone else
is having issues with the firefox browser.

Mozilla issued a plugin for FF that blocks advertising, so sites
devloped a tool that detects the ad blocker and the site won't
load in FF, but worse, many sites now go for the easiest option
and ensure non-compatibility with FF regardless.

This is a cut N paste of the links I posted where you can read
of the spreading problem of webmasters paranoia about losing
advertising revenue because of FF ad blocking plug-in:

Pasted:
You can read more about adblocking and Firefox:
http://showip.net/adblock.php

This following site makes the paranoid claim that Firefox's adblocking is
theft, and many sites that use the above tools to detect FF or any
adblocking capable browser are directing surfers to this site:
http://whyfirefoxisblocked.com/index1.php

The bottomline is that the blocking of the excellent FF browser is
spreading. You could try a google search to determine if the site(s)
you are having problems with are blocking Firefox, type into seach:
"ad blocker plus,firefox,<full site URL here>"



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Beauregard T. Shagnasty
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-10-2007
ded wrote:

> Pasted:
> You can read more about adblocking and Firefox:
> http://showip.net/adblock.php


Heh.

<script language="javascript">
var isFF = (navigator.userAgent.indexOf("Firefox") > -1) ? true : false;

Relying on User Agent string... <chuckle>

Also relying on JavaScript being enabled... <chuckle><again>

--
-bts
-Motorcycles defy gravity; cars just suck
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-10-2007
"ded" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Mozilla issued a plugin for FF that blocks advertising, so sites
>devloped a tool that detects the ad blocker and the site won't
>load in FF, but worse, many sites now go for the easiest option
>and ensure non-compatibility with FF regardless.


Just use a HOSTS file, works with any browser
http://someonewhocares.org/hosts/hosts

www.digg.com apparently has ads as the users keep saying they click on
them to make Rose happy; I've never seen a one.

--

Fallen Art
http://youtube.com/watch?v=4yQhXBeabUE
 
Reply With Quote
 
Blinky the Shark
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-10-2007
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> "ded" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Mozilla issued a plugin for FF that blocks advertising, so sites
>>devloped a tool that detects the ad blocker and the site won't
>>load in FF, but worse, many sites now go for the easiest option
>>and ensure non-compatibility with FF regardless.

>
> Just use a HOSTS file, works with any browser


Far less flexible. Can't use wildcards, for instance.


--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups
The Usenet Improvement Project - http://improve-usenet.org
 
Reply With Quote
 
sittingduck
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-10-2007
ded wrote:

> The bottomline is that the blocking of the excellent FF browser is
> spreading. You could try a google search to determine if the site(s)
> you are having problems with are blocking Firefox, type into seach:
> "ad blocker plus,firefox,<full site URL here>"


Boycott the site, or turn adblock off. (it takes only a second or 2)

--
http://improve-usenet.org
 
Reply With Quote
 
Beauregard T. Shagnasty
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-10-2007
sittingduck wrote:

> ded wrote:
>> The bottomline is that the blocking of the excellent FF browser is
>> spreading. You could try a google search to determine if the site(s)
>> you are having problems with are blocking Firefox, type into seach:
>> "ad blocker plus,firefox,<full site URL here>"

>
> Boycott the site, or turn adblock off. (it takes only a second or 2)


Or use the PrefBar and set the UA to Internet Exploder. <g>
It's not just the adblocker; the sites are also sniffing for Firefox
itself.

The aforementioned page ( http://showip.net/adblock.php ) telling you
how to block Firefox is easily fooled by this simple method. See "User
Agent Spoof" at: http://prefbar.mozdev.org/

I usually have my UA set to:
Borgzilla/31.0 (Starship Enterprise NCC-1701)
via the "User Agent Switcher" extension.
http://chrispederick.com/work/user-agent-switcher/

--
-bts
-Motorcycles defy gravity; cars just suck
 
Reply With Quote
 
Blinky the Shark
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-10-2007
Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
> sittingduck wrote:
>
>> ded wrote:
>>> The bottomline is that the blocking of the excellent FF browser is
>>> spreading. You could try a google search to determine if the site(s)
>>> you are having problems with are blocking Firefox, type into seach:
>>> "ad blocker plus,firefox,<full site URL here>"

>>
>> Boycott the site, or turn adblock off. (it takes only a second or 2)

>
> Or use the PrefBar and set the UA to Internet Exploder. <g> It's not
> just the adblocker; the sites are also sniffing for Firefox itself.


Rather than giving MS more numbers for the stats, I think I'd have FF
squawk Opera. If that's still an option.


--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups
The Usenet Improvement Project - http://improve-usenet.org
 
Reply With Quote
 
Beauregard T. Shagnasty
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-10-2007
Blinky the Shark wrote:

> Rather than giving MS more numbers for the stats, I think I'd have FF
> squawk Opera. If that's still an option.


Yeah. That'll work as well (for sites that are sniffing for Firefox).
The PrefBar doesn't "come with" Opera as a standard choice, but you can
add it to Chris' User Agent Switcher if you wish.

Normally, I just use them for "IE-only" sites.

--
-bts
-Motorcycles defy gravity; cars just suck
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
c plus plus code comparator furqan shaikh C++ 6 11-12-2008 06:14 AM
Invoking c function in a c plus plus function... Rahul C++ 9 03-25-2008 05:24 PM
Firefox gamed - Drudge getting around Firefox popup blocker Venger Firefox 10 12-22-2004 04:37 AM
C plus plus vs C Sharp The LoxFather C Programming 23 08-14-2003 03:51 AM
C plus plus vs C Sharp The LoxFather C++ 23 08-14-2003 03:51 AM



Advertisments