Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > IE7 32-bit stopped working on Vista Enterprise x64.

IE7 32-bit stopped working on Vista Enterprise x64.

Dennis Pack

I'm posting here because I don't an argument in the Vista or IE groups and
I'm comfortable here. IE7 doesn't load a WEB page in 32-bit IE, IE without
add-ons or as an administrator and Windows Live Mail doesn't load. IE7
64-bit, Windows Update, Windows Mail and some 32-bit redirections load
properly. Changes in IE settings had no effect because 32-bit and 64-bit are
treated the same. sfc /scannow, disk clean-up, browser, cache clean-up or
start-up repair had no effect. This problem started after QT/ITunes tried to
update and failed. Unfortunately trying to correct this problem ran me out
of restore points. I haven't tried an in place upgrade/repair installation,
or copying IE files/registry entries yet.

--
Dennis Pack
XP x64 SP2, Vista Enterprise x64

Charlie Russel - MVP

Dennis - I know we're supposed to be past this, but I wonder if something
has caused that old nemesis of ours to raise its ugly head - the nVidia
built in firmware firewall. All the apps having trouble appear to be 32-bit
apps. (And, of course, you don't specify if this is an nvidia chipset
board).

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

"Dennis Pack" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm posting here because I don't an argument in the Vista or IE groups and
> I'm comfortable here. IE7 doesn't load a WEB page in 32-bit IE, IE without
> add-ons or as an administrator and Windows Live Mail doesn't load. IE7
> 64-bit, Windows Update, Windows Mail and some 32-bit redirections load
> properly. Changes in IE settings had no effect because 32-bit and 64-bit
> are treated the same. sfc /scannow, disk clean-up, browser, cache clean-up
> or start-up repair had no effect. This problem started after QT/ITunes
> tried to update and failed. Unfortunately trying to correct this problem
> ran me out of restore points. I haven't tried an in place upgrade/repair
> installation, or copying IE files/registry entries yet.
>
> --
> Dennis Pack
> XP x64 SP2, Vista Enterprise x64
> Office Professional Plus 2007

Dennis Pack

Charlie:
Thanks for reminding me about the Nvidia Firewall. I'm still using
Nvidia mother boards and video cards, just staying away from the high price
stuff that can't afford for at least another year. I removed the Nvidia
monitor which is the closest place to where the firewall was, no change in
response. I copied the Internet Explorer files from Program Files (x86) on a
working enterprise system also no change in response. Currently I'm
performing a drive decryption to remove BitLocker so that I can run an in
place upgrade from the DVD. I'm not worried about losing data because it's
on a different hard drive plus it's backed up with Retrospect and Acronis. I
haven't done a system image with Acronis to test it yet and hope that WHS
will be getting a 64-bit connector soon. Have a great day.

--
Dennis Pack
XP x64 SP2, Vista Enterprise x64
Office Professional Plus 2007
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> Dennis - I know we're supposed to be past this, but I wonder if something
> has caused that old nemesis of ours to raise its ugly head - the nVidia
> built in firmware firewall. All the apps having trouble appear to be
> 32-bit apps. (And, of course, you don't specify if this is an nvidia
> chipset board).
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>

> "Dennis Pack" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I'm posting here because I don't an argument in the Vista or IE groups
>> and I'm comfortable here. IE7 doesn't load a WEB page in 32-bit IE, IE
>> without add-ons or as an administrator and Windows Live Mail doesn't
>> load. IE7 64-bit, Windows Update, Windows Mail and some 32-bit
>> redirections load properly. Changes in IE settings had no effect because
>> 32-bit and 64-bit are treated the same. sfc /scannow, disk clean-up,
>> browser, cache clean-up or start-up repair had no effect. This problem
>> started after QT/ITunes tried to update and failed. Unfortunately trying
>> to correct this problem ran me out of restore points. I haven't tried an
>> in place upgrade/repair installation, or copying IE files/registry
>> entries yet.
>>
>> --
>> Dennis Pack
>> XP x64 SP2, Vista Enterprise x64
>> Office Professional Plus 2007

Charlie Russel - MVP

Before you do a full restore, try installing and uninstalling the firewall.
Just on the off chance that something tickled the firmware bits that we've
had so much trouble with.