Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Setting up a wireless internet connection

Setting up a wireless internet connection

=?Utf-8?B?amF4b243YXU=?=

(sorry if this is a repost, the first one vanished)

I am trying to share my broadband internet connection from my desktop to my
laptop.
I have installed a wireless router to my desktop modem and the laptop is
wireless ready. I have tried the wireless network wizard, but it makes no
sense at all to me. I just sends me back and forth between computers.
Is there and idiots guide to this online somewhere?
Also, I am concerned about security and would like to make sure that only
these two computers can use the network.

Also, where can you find a list of wireless networks that have been created
on your computer?

Thanks
jaxon7au

Malke

jaxon7au wrote:

> (sorry if this is a repost, the first one vanished)
>
> I am trying to share my broadband internet connection from my desktop
> to my laptop.
> I have installed a wireless router to my desktop modem and the laptop
> is
> wireless ready. I have tried the wireless network wizard, but it
> makes no
> sense at all to me. I just sends me back and forth between computers.
> Is there and idiots guide to this online somewhere?
> Also, I am concerned about security and would like to make sure that
> only these two computers can use the network.
>
> Also, where can you find a list of wireless networks that have been
> created on your computer?

Before we get started, what do you mean "installed a wireless router to
my desktop modem"? Do you really mean you have a cable/DSL modem to
which you've attached a wireless router and your desktop is attached to
the router via an ethernet cable to one of its ports?

If this isn't what you've got, post back with exact setup; otherwise it
is a waste of time going into detail about how to connect the laptop.
In the meantime, here are some links to help illustrate normal setup:

Linksys Learning Center - http://tinyurl.com/8ka4w
Wireless - Basic Configuration -

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

=?Utf-8?B?amF4b243YXU=?=

Thanks for your reply.
The setup you described is the one I have got.
Thanks for the links. Am going to check them out now.

jaxon7au

"Malke" wrote:

> Before we get started, what do you mean "installed a wireless router to
> my desktop modem"? Do you really mean you have a cable/DSL modem to
> which you've attached a wireless router and your desktop is attached to
> the router via an ethernet cable to one of its ports?
>
> If this isn't what you've got, post back with exact setup; otherwise it
> is a waste of time going into detail about how to connect the laptop.
> In the meantime, here are some links to help illustrate normal setup:
>
> Linksys Learning Center - http://tinyurl.com/8ka4w
> Wireless - Basic Configuration -
> http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Config.html
> Wireless - Basic Security - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Malke

jaxon7au wrote:

> Thanks for your reply.
> The setup you described is the one I have got.
> Thanks for the links. Am going to check them out now.

OK. The links should answer your questions but if you need more help, do
post back.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

=?Utf-8?B?amF4b243YXU=?=

OK, I give up.
I've tried the wireless network setup wizard but I just don't get it. What
settings do I choose, etc. Also, where is the network that gets created
located. I can't find it. Are there any other web links that can take me
through it step by step as I have absolutly no idea what I am doing.

Thanks
jaxon7au

"Malke" wrote:

> OK. The links should answer your questions but if you need more help, do
> post back.
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Malke

jaxon7au wrote:

> OK, I give up.
> I've tried the wireless network setup wizard but I just don't get it.
> What
> settings do I choose, etc. Also, where is the network that gets
> created
> located. I can't find it. Are there any other web links that can
> take me through it step by step as I have absolutly no idea what I am
> doing.

Since you didn't give me any information about what hardware you have
(router, wireless network adapter) or operating system (and Service
Pack levels), or broadband method (cable or dsl) I can only give you
general steps.

1. Unpack router and put the cd it came with in your desktop machine.
Follow the wizard exactly. When you are finished, your router is
connected to the cable/dsl modem and your desktop is connected to the
router with an ethernet cable. You should have Internet access.

2. Go to the router's configuration screen from a browser opened on your
desktop. This is done by entering the router's IP address in the
addressbar. For ex., a Linksys will be 192.168.1.1. Refer to the router
manual. Go to the wireless settings and change the SSID from the
default name to something easily recognizable. Don't set the encryption
yet.

3. Make sure your wireless is active on the laptop. Many new laptops
have a button, switch, or keypress + FN to turn on the wireless. Refer
to your laptop's manual. You should see a message in the lower
right-hand corner that there are wireless networks available. Follow
the prompts to connect. You should now be connected to the router and
have Internet access.

encryption, preferably to WPA-PSK. All hardware must support that so if
your laptop is older, you'll probably have to use WEP. Create a
passphrase for WPA-PSK or a key and write it down. Save your settings.

5. Now the laptop should tell you that your wireless network requires a
key. Enter the key. You will have Internet access.

If you still don't understand, have a local professional come and set
you up.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

=?Utf-8?B?amF4b243YXU=?=

Thanks so much, I've got everything set up and its running great so far.
Thanks again for your help
jaxon7au

"Malke" wrote:

> Since you didn't give me any information about what hardware you have
> (router, wireless network adapter) or operating system (and Service
> Pack levels), or broadband method (cable or dsl) I can only give you
> general steps.
>
> 1. Unpack router and put the cd it came with in your desktop machine.
> Follow the wizard exactly. When you are finished, your router is
> connected to the cable/dsl modem and your desktop is connected to the
> router with an ethernet cable. You should have Internet access.
>
> 2. Go to the router's configuration screen from a browser opened on your
> desktop. This is done by entering the router's IP address in the
> addressbar. For ex., a Linksys will be 192.168.1.1. Refer to the router
> manual. Go to the wireless settings and change the SSID from the
> default name to something easily recognizable. Don't set the encryption
> yet.
>
> 3. Make sure your wireless is active on the laptop. Many new laptops
> have a button, switch, or keypress + FN to turn on the wireless. Refer
> to your laptop's manual. You should see a message in the lower
> right-hand corner that there are wireless networks available. Follow
> the prompts to connect. You should now be connected to the router and
> have Internet access.

> encryption, preferably to WPA-PSK. All hardware must support that so if
> your laptop is older, you'll probably have to use WEP. Create a
> passphrase for WPA-PSK or a key and write it down. Save your settings.
>
> 5. Now the laptop should tell you that your wireless network requires a
> key. Enter the key. You will have Internet access.
>
> If you still don't understand, have a local professional come and set
> you up.
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Malke

jaxon7au wrote:

> Thanks so much, I've got everything set up and its running great so
> far. Thanks again for your help

Super! Thanks so much for taking the time to let me know.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

=?Utf-8?B?ZGFwbA==?=

Malke,you are so helpful I just had to give you this
one:
Both an external network card and a usb adapter achieve connections to our
router with 1 host and 3 clients in the same home.BUT just me cannot connect
to theinternet or mail! We have exhausted our limited knowledge and am now
stumped. I do get a message saying wireless network connected.

Malke

dapl wrote:

> Malke,you are so helpful I just had to give you this
> one:
> Both an external network card and a usb adapter achieve connections to
> our router with 1 host and 3 clients in the same home.BUT just me
> cannot connect to theinternet or mail! We have exhausted our limited
> knowledge and am now stumped. I do get a message saying wireless
> network connected.

Start a new thread instead of posting onto an old one so others will see
your questions. Include all necessary information such as what
operating systems (and versions if XP - Home, Pro - and service pack
levels) all the machines are running. It would be helpful to include
the makes/models of your router and adapters, and how you get to the
Internet (cable, DSL, other).

I'll look for your new post.

Malke