Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Problem installing a wifi printer

Problem installing a wifi printer

Noel S Pamfree

I am trying to install a Lexmark Z1480 on a Toshiba Satellite A100-02A,
which unfortunately runs under Windows Vista Home Premium.

Having turned the printer on and made sure it is in wifi-mode I did the
following on the laptop:

Start
Control Panel
Network and Sharing Center
Set up a connection or network
Option 4 - Create a computer to computer ad hock network
Called it PrLex
Security - selected No Authentication
Waited only to get a notice saying "Windows could not set up PrLex

Any suggestions welcome.

Noel

Chuck [MVP]

On Fri, 9 Nov 2007 19:11:31 -0000, "Noel S Pamfree" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I am trying to install a Lexmark Z1480 on a Toshiba Satellite A100-02A,
>which unfortunately runs under Windows Vista Home Premium.
>
>Having turned the printer on and made sure it is in wifi-mode I did the
>following on the laptop:
>
>Start
>Control Panel
>Network and Sharing Center
>Set up a connection or network
>Option 4 - Create a computer to computer ad hock network
>Called it PrLex
>Security - selected No Authentication
>Waited only to get a notice saying "Windows could not set up PrLex
>
>Any suggestions welcome.
>
>Noel

Noel,

You have several challenges here.
1) You're setting up a computer running Windows Vista, as a printer client.
2) You're setting up a computer running Windows Vista, as a peer-peer WiFi
participant.
3) You're doing both of the above, simultaneously.

Is that the procedure specified in the printer setup instructions? Do they
offer any diagnostics? Did you download the most current drivers for the
printer, specifically labeled for Vista? Getting a printer to work for a Vista
client is a challenge. Getting a printer to work using WiFi may be even more
so. I'll offer you my Vista Networking tutorial.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/12/windows-xp-and-vista-on-lan-together.html#Printers>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/1....html#Printers

--
Cheers,
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/

anne watson

And I will add my two cents worth

After setting it up Restart your laptop and unplug the printer wait 30
seconds and plug it back in again.

That is how I finially got a VISTA laptop to recognize my HP printer,
Anne
"Chuck [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 9 Nov 2007 19:11:31 -0000, "Noel S Pamfree"
> <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>I am trying to install a Lexmark Z1480 on a Toshiba Satellite A100-02A,
>>which unfortunately runs under Windows Vista Home Premium.
>>
>>Having turned the printer on and made sure it is in wifi-mode I did the
>>following on the laptop:
>>
>>Start
>>Control Panel
>>Network and Sharing Center
>>Set up a connection or network
>>Option 4 - Create a computer to computer ad hock network
>>Called it PrLex
>>Security - selected No Authentication
>>Waited only to get a notice saying "Windows could not set up PrLex
>>
>>Any suggestions welcome.
>>
>>Noel

> Noel,
>
> You have several challenges here.
> 1) You're setting up a computer running Windows Vista, as a printer
> client.
> 2) You're setting up a computer running Windows Vista, as a peer-peer WiFi
> participant.
> 3) You're doing both of the above, simultaneously.
>
> Is that the procedure specified in the printer setup instructions? Do
> they
> offer any diagnostics? Did you download the most current drivers for the
> printer, specifically labeled for Vista? Getting a printer to work for a
> Vista
> client is a challenge. Getting a printer to work using WiFi may be even
> more
> so. I'll offer you my Vista Networking tutorial.
> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/12/windows-xp-and-vista-on-lan-together.html#Printers>
> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/1....html#Printers
>
> --
> Cheers,
> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
> My email is AT DOT
> actual address pchuck mvps org.

Lem

Noel S Pamfree wrote:
> I am trying to install a Lexmark Z1480 on a Toshiba Satellite A100-02A,
> which unfortunately runs under Windows Vista Home Premium.
>
> Having turned the printer on and made sure it is in wifi-mode I did the
> following on the laptop:
>
> Start
> Control Panel
> Network and Sharing Center
> Set up a connection or network
> Option 4 - Create a computer to computer ad hock network
> Called it PrLex
> Security - selected No Authentication
> Waited only to get a notice saying "Windows could not set up PrLex
>
> Any suggestions welcome.
>
> Noel

There's no mention here of actually *installing* the printer driver on
your Toshiba.

I couldn't find anything specific to the Z1480, but this page explains
how to set up an ad hoc wireless network in Vista for the Z1420:
http://tinyurl.com/34jx9m

--
Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking

To the moon and back with 4KB of RAM and 72KB of ROM.