Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Strange behavior for jpg thumbnails in XP Windows Exporer

Strange behavior for jpg thumbnails in XP Windows Exporer

usenetdg@hotmail.com

For the tens of thousands of photos I have on my computer, I maintain
this type of directory structure:

:::event directory (such as Christmas 2005, Aunt Millie's birthday,
whatever)
:::::: L photo directory from that event
:::::::::::: L original photos from that event

The original directory is the unedited original photos. I then blow
through these with Irfanview, and the ones I like, I crop, perhaps
make small color adjustments to, resize to 800x600, and save in the
photo directory above it, appending "sm" to the file name to indicate
it's the smaller version of the original.

For example, I might take 2005-1225Christmas\photos\originals
\IMG_9561.jpg and edit it, then save it as 2005-1225Christmas\photos
\IMG_9561sm.jpg

Seemingly forever, the Windows explorer, in "details" on the left
(under "file and folder tasks", and "other places" the way I have
Windows Explorer configured) as I browse the folder, will of course
show a thumbnail of an image if I single-click on that image.

In recent days however, the thumbnail for an edited image will instead
be the original image. That is, the cropped and edited
IMG_9561sm.jpg, as described above, even though Explorer correctly
shows it as being 108k when the orginal file might have been 2400k in
size, will have a thumbnail that corresponds to the original uncropped
file (IMG_9561.jpg) that is one directory lower. If I double click on
the file (IMG_9561sm.jpg), it renders as expected, cropped and resized
to 800x600. It's just its thumbnail in Windows Explorer that is
wrong.

What's going on here? This error is 100% reproducible among all my
digital photos, spanning several years. It doesn't happen on my
office computer, also running XP.

me@mine.net

On Fri, 09 Nov 2007 13:21:59 -0000, in rec.photo.digital

>For the tens of thousands of photos I have on my computer, I maintain
>this type of directory structure:
>
>:::event directory (such as Christmas 2005, Aunt Millie's birthday,
>whatever)
>:::::: L photo directory from that event
>:::::::::::: L original photos from that event
>
>The original directory is the unedited original photos. I then blow
>through these with Irfanview, and the ones I like, I crop, perhaps
>make small color adjustments to, resize to 800x600, and save in the
>photo directory above it, appending "sm" to the file name to indicate
>it's the smaller version of the original.
>
>For example, I might take 2005-1225Christmas\photos\originals
>\IMG_9561.jpg and edit it, then save it as 2005-1225Christmas\photos
>\IMG_9561sm.jpg
>
>Seemingly forever, the Windows explorer, in "details" on the left
>(under "file and folder tasks", and "other places" the way I have
>Windows Explorer configured) as I browse the folder, will of course
>show a thumbnail of an image if I single-click on that image.
>
>In recent days however, the thumbnail for an edited image will instead
>be the original image. That is, the cropped and edited
>IMG_9561sm.jpg, as described above, even though Explorer correctly
>shows it as being 108k when the orginal file might have been 2400k in
>size, will have a thumbnail that corresponds to the original uncropped
>file (IMG_9561.jpg) that is one directory lower. If I double click on
>the file (IMG_9561sm.jpg), it renders as expected, cropped and resized
>to 800x600. It's just its thumbnail in Windows Explorer that is
>wrong.
>
>What's going on here? This error is 100% reproducible among all my
>digital photos, spanning several years. It doesn't happen on my
>office computer, also running XP.

The editing application you are using is not changing the embedded
thumbnail inside the jpg and that is what is being used.

pcbuilder98

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> For the tens of thousands of photos I have on my computer, I maintain
> this type of directory structure:
>
> :::event directory (such as Christmas 2005, Aunt Millie's birthday,
> whatever)
> :::::: L photo directory from that event
> :::::::::::: L original photos from that event
>
> The original directory is the unedited original photos. I then blow
> through these with Irfanview, and the ones I like, I crop, perhaps
> make small color adjustments to, resize to 800x600, and save in the
> photo directory above it, appending "sm" to the file name to indicate
> it's the smaller version of the original.
>
> For example, I might take 2005-1225Christmas\photos\originals
> \IMG_9561.jpg and edit it, then save it as 2005-1225Christmas\photos
> \IMG_9561sm.jpg
>
> Seemingly forever, the Windows explorer, in "details" on the left
> (under "file and folder tasks", and "other places" the way I have
> Windows Explorer configured) as I browse the folder, will of course
> show a thumbnail of an image if I single-click on that image.
>
> In recent days however, the thumbnail for an edited image will instead
> be the original image. That is, the cropped and edited
> IMG_9561sm.jpg, as described above, even though Explorer correctly
> shows it as being 108k when the orginal file might have been 2400k in
> size, will have a thumbnail that corresponds to the original uncropped
> file (IMG_9561.jpg) that is one directory lower. If I double click on
> the file (IMG_9561sm.jpg), it renders as expected, cropped and resized
> to 800x600. It's just its thumbnail in Windows Explorer that is
> wrong.
>
> What's going on here? This error is 100% reproducible among all my
> digital photos, spanning several years. It doesn't happen on my
> office computer, also running XP.

Open folder > right click in folder > click properties > uncheck thumbnails
> click apply > click OK > close folder > open folder > right click in

folder > click properties > click enable thumbnail view > click apply >
click OK > right click in folder > click refresh > click view > click
thumbnail.
--
pcbuilder98

usenetdg@hotmail.com

On Nov 9, 8:49 am, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> On Fri, 09 Nov 2007 13:21:59 -0000, in rec.photo.digital
>
> >What's going on here? This error is 100% reproducible among all my
> >digital photos, spanning several years. It doesn't happen on my
> >office computer, also running XP.

> The editing application you are using is not changing the embedded
> thumbnail inside the jpg and that is what is being used.

Unlikely. I have Irfanview at my office and tried before posting.
The thumbnail for an edited image stored in a different directory (or
the same directory) matches the contents of the edited image.

Dave W

You could try using Windows Explorer to view the directories. Make
sure that hidden files are displayed, and delete any thumbnail index
files that Windows or your viewer have created. Then go back to your
viewer which should then re-create them correctly.

John Holmes

pcbuilder98 "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>> For the tens of thousands of photos I have on my computer, I maintain
>> this type of directory structure:
>>
>> :::event directory (such as Christmas 2005, Aunt Millie's birthday,
>> whatever)
>> :::::: L photo directory from that event
>> :::::::::::: L original photos from that event
>>
>> The original directory is the unedited original photos. I then blow
>> through these with Irfanview, and the ones I like, I crop, perhaps
>> make small color adjustments to, resize to 800x600, and save in the
>> photo directory above it, appending "sm" to the file name to indicate
>> it's the smaller version of the original.
>>
>> For example, I might take 2005-1225Christmas\photos\originals
>> \IMG_9561.jpg and edit it, then save it as 2005-1225Christmas\photos
>> \IMG_9561sm.jpg
>>
>> Seemingly forever, the Windows explorer, in "details" on the left
>> (under "file and folder tasks", and "other places" the way I have
>> Windows Explorer configured) as I browse the folder, will of course
>> show a thumbnail of an image if I single-click on that image.
>>
>> In recent days however, the thumbnail for an edited image will
>> instead be the original image. That is, the cropped and edited
>> IMG_9561sm.jpg, as described above, even though Explorer correctly
>> shows it as being 108k when the orginal file might have been 2400k in
>> size, will have a thumbnail that corresponds to the original
>> uncropped file (IMG_9561.jpg) that is one directory lower. If I
>> double click on the file (IMG_9561sm.jpg), it renders as expected,
>> cropped and resized to 800x600. It's just its thumbnail in Windows
>> Explorer that is wrong.
>>
>> What's going on here? This error is 100% reproducible among all my
>> digital photos, spanning several years. It doesn't happen on my
>> office computer, also running XP.
>>

> Open folder > right click in folder > click properties > uncheck
> thumbnails
>> click apply > click OK > close folder > open folder > right click in

> folder > click properties > click enable thumbnail view > click apply
> > click OK > right click in folder > click refresh > click view >

> click thumbnail.

You must be mental.

--
Your mother was a necrosed bum who flagellated herself in a mental
hospital.

Mark

Just as an added test, turn off thumbnail caching and see what
happens:
Windows Explorer > Tools > Folder Options > View > check Do not cache
thumbnails > OK