Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Best Blu-Ray Player for Pioneer VSX-59TXi Receiver?

Best Blu-Ray Player for Pioneer VSX-59TXi Receiver?

T.B.

This is basically the same post I submitted to the AV forum that I'm
reposting here.

I have a Pioneer Elite receiver, the VSX-59TXi and a big ol' Sony WEGA crt
KV-40XBR700 monitor. Obviously, HDMI is not an option with my current setup
and I don't see that changing for the next year or two. I do want to get a
Blu-Ray player in the next month or sooner, however, I want a BR player that
will deliver the best a/v experience with my current setup under $1000.00.
I'd need the BR player to output *uncompressed* audio either through the
(ideally) optical or digital coaxial lines or through the analog
multi-channel lines. I had considered buying one of the newer Pioneer BR
players but I heard at least the 94HD failed 3:2 pulldown tests.

I also would like the player to upscale standard dvds to 1080 via componant
cables, but again I understand that really isn't an option without using an
HDMI hookup with almost all players due to copyright encoding but perhaps
I've missed something. I am aware of the Vision FC3 - HDTV DVI to
VGA/PC/Component Signal/Format Converter, but I'll cross that bridge if
needed once I buy a player.

Thanks in advance,

T.B.

ChairmanOfTheBored

On Thu, 8 Nov 2007 19:24:27 -0800, "T.B." <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>This is basically the same post I submitted to the AV forum that I'm
>reposting here.
>
>I have a Pioneer Elite receiver, the VSX-59TXi and a big ol' Sony WEGA crt
>KV-40XBR700 monitor. Obviously, HDMI is not an option with my current setup
>and I don't see that changing for the next year or two. I do want to get a
>Blu-Ray player in the next month or sooner, however, I want a BR player that
>will deliver the best a/v experience with my current setup under $1000.00.
>I'd need the BR player to output *uncompressed* audio either through the
>(ideally) optical or digital coaxial lines or through the analog
>multi-channel lines. I had considered buying one of the newer Pioneer BR
>players but I heard at least the 94HD failed 3:2 pulldown tests.
>
>I also would like the player to upscale standard dvds to 1080 via componant
>cables, but again I understand that really isn't an option without using an
>HDMI hookup with almost all players due to copyright encoding but perhaps
>I've missed something. I am aware of the Vision FC3 - HDTV DVI to
>VGA/PC/Component Signal/Format Converter, but I'll cross that bridge if
>needed once I buy a player.
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>T.B.

The PS3. That way, you get the most for your money. Don't forget to
add $30 (maybe $25) for the BR-DVD remote control. It is possible to use
the game controller, but a bit cumbersome.

Lloyd Parsons

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
ChairmanOfTheBored <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Thu, 8 Nov 2007 19:24:27 -0800, "T.B." <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> >This is basically the same post I submitted to the AV forum that I'm
> >reposting here.
> >
> >I have a Pioneer Elite receiver, the VSX-59TXi and a big ol' Sony WEGA crt
> >KV-40XBR700 monitor. Obviously, HDMI is not an option with my current setup
> >and I don't see that changing for the next year or two. I do want to get a
> >Blu-Ray player in the next month or sooner, however, I want a BR player that
> >will deliver the best a/v experience with my current setup under $1000.00.
> >I'd need the BR player to output *uncompressed* audio either through the
> >(ideally) optical or digital coaxial lines or through the analog
> >multi-channel lines. I had considered buying one of the newer Pioneer BR
> >players but I heard at least the 94HD failed 3:2 pulldown tests.
> >
> >I also would like the player to upscale standard dvds to 1080 via componant
> >cables, but again I understand that really isn't an option without using an
> >HDMI hookup with almost all players due to copyright encoding but perhaps
> >I've missed something. I am aware of the Vision FC3 - HDTV DVI to
> >VGA/PC/Component Signal/Format Converter, but I'll cross that bridge if
> >needed once I buy a player.
> >
> >Thanks in advance,
> >
> >T.B.
> >

> The PS3. That way, you get the most for your money. Don't forget to
> add $30 (maybe $25) for the BR-DVD remote control. It is possible to use
> the game controller, but a bit cumbersome.

The PS3 will give him the video, but to get the advantage of the newer
audio codecs and LPCM, he needs the ability to use his multi-channel
analog inputs. The PS3 doesn't do that.

Take a look at the Panasonic BDP-10A. Analog outs, good reviews.

T.B.

"Lloyd Parsons" wrote:

(snip)

>> The PS3. That way, you get the most for your money. Don't forget to
>> add $30 (maybe $25) for the BR-DVD remote control. It is possible to use
>> the game controller, but a bit cumbersome.

> The PS3 will give him the video, but to get the advantage of the newer
> audio codecs and LPCM, he needs the ability to use his multi-channel
> analog inputs. The PS3 doesn't do that.
>
> Take a look at the Panasonic BDP-10A. Analog outs, good reviews.

Do the analog outs downconvert the audio signal to my reciever? Also, will
it pass a upconvert signal of a standard dvd to 1080 to my monitor via
anythig other than HDMI?

I seriously have been considering the PS3 and understand Sony has a HDMI to
YGB cable, but like you mention, I'm kinda hosed as far as analog audio
output.

T.B.

Lloyd Parsons

In article <47348d7a$0$8701$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"T.B." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "Lloyd Parsons" wrote:
>
> (snip)
>
> >> The PS3. That way, you get the most for your money. Don't forget to
> >> add $30 (maybe $25) for the BR-DVD remote control. It is possible to use
> >> the game controller, but a bit cumbersome.

> > The PS3 will give him the video, but to get the advantage of the newer
> > audio codecs and LPCM, he needs the ability to use his multi-channel
> > analog inputs. The PS3 doesn't do that.
> >
> > Take a look at the Panasonic BDP-10A. Analog outs, good reviews.

> Do the analog outs downconvert the audio signal to my reciever? Also, will
> it pass a upconvert signal of a standard dvd to 1080 to my monitor via
> anythig other than HDMI?

I'm talking about the 5.1 multi-channel audio output that something like
the S300 has, or 7.1 that some others have. If your receiver has a
5.1/7.1 multi-channel then you can get the newer codecs as LPCM. If it
only has digital coax or optical, it can't get that. And if it only has
2-channel analog, you can only get 2-channel PCM stereo.

Some SD discs can be upconverted to 1080 via component, but not all.
And it seems to be somewhat machine specific too. Lots of confusion
here. But you can upconvert to 720p via component and on a smaller tv
set you might not be able to really tell the difference.

> I seriously have been considering the PS3 and understand Sony has a HDMI to
> YGB cable, but like you mention, I'm kinda hosed as far as analog audio
> output.
>
> T.B.

At some point you are probably going to have to consider a new receiver
to take advantage of the new codecs and connections. In the meantime,
the PS3 can give you good video with what you have.

Watch for 'black friday' sales of all of this kind of stuff, you may be
able to do some serious upgrading for not too serious money...

ChairmanOfTheBored

On Fri, 9 Nov 2007 08:39:51 -0800, "T.B." <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"Lloyd Parsons" wrote:
>
>(snip)
>
>>> The PS3. That way, you get the most for your money. Don't forget to
>>> add $30 (maybe $25) for the BR-DVD remote control. It is possible to use
>>> the game controller, but a bit cumbersome.

>> The PS3 will give him the video, but to get the advantage of the newer
>> audio codecs and LPCM, he needs the ability to use his multi-channel
>> analog inputs. The PS3 doesn't do that.
>>
>> Take a look at the Panasonic BDP-10A. Analog outs, good reviews.

>Do the analog outs downconvert the audio signal to my reciever? Also, will
>it pass a upconvert signal of a standard dvd to 1080 to my monitor via
>anythig other than HDMI?
>
>I seriously have been considering the PS3 and understand Sony has a HDMI to
>YGB cable, but like you mention, I'm kinda hosed as far as analog audio
>output.

If Sony makes the cable, I am quite sure it will have an audio output
break-out as well.

If not, your fancy receiver does take input from the OPTICAL OUT jack
on the PS3.

Lloyd Parsons

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
ChairmanOfTheBored <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Fri, 9 Nov 2007 08:39:51 -0800, "T.B." <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> >"Lloyd Parsons" wrote:
> >
> >(snip)

> >> The PS3 will give him the video, but to get the advantage of the newer
> >> audio codecs and LPCM, he needs the ability to use his multi-channel
> >> analog inputs. The PS3 doesn't do that.
> >>
> >> Take a look at the Panasonic BDP-10A. Analog outs, good reviews.

> >Do the analog outs downconvert the audio signal to my reciever? Also, will
> >it pass a upconvert signal of a standard dvd to 1080 to my monitor via
> >anythig other than HDMI?
> >
> >I seriously have been considering the PS3 and understand Sony has a HDMI to
> >YGB cable, but like you mention, I'm kinda hosed as far as analog audio
> >output.
> >

> If Sony makes the cable, I am quite sure it will have an audio output
> break-out as well.

Then you would be wrong.

> If not, your fancy receiver does take input from the OPTICAL OUT jack
> on the PS3.

Which doesn't get him multi-channel PCM or bitstreams beyond DTS-EX/ES

ChairmanOfTheBored

On Fri, 09 Nov 2007 22:35:58 -0500, Lloyd Parsons <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> ChairmanOfTheBored <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 9 Nov 2007 08:39:51 -0800, "T.B." <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >"Lloyd Parsons" wrote:
>> >
>> >(snip)

>> >Do the analog outs downconvert the audio signal to my reciever? Also, will
>> >it pass a upconvert signal of a standard dvd to 1080 to my monitor via
>> >anythig other than HDMI?
>> >
>> >I seriously have been considering the PS3 and understand Sony has a HDMI to
>> >YGB cable, but like you mention, I'm kinda hosed as far as analog audio
>> >output.
>> >

>> If Sony makes the cable, I am quite sure it will have an audio output
>> break-out as well.
>>

>Then you would be wrong.

I just saw it on the Sony site. It has FIVE connectors. Three grouped
together, and two others, grouped together a bit further back.

Perhaps you should try again.

>> If not, your fancy receiver does take input from the OPTICAL OUT jack
>> on the PS3.

>Which doesn't get him multi-channel PCM or bitstreams beyond DTS-EX/ES

Are you sure that is still true?

Lloyd Parsons

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
ChairmanOfTheBored <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Fri, 09 Nov 2007 22:35:58 -0500, Lloyd Parsons <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> >In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > ChairmanOfTheBored <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> If Sony makes the cable, I am quite sure it will have an audio output
> >> break-out as well.
> >>

> >Then you would be wrong.

> I just saw it on the Sony site. It has FIVE connectors. Three grouped
> together, and two others, grouped together a bit further back.
>
> Perhaps you should try again.

It gives the 3 component video connectors, and the 2 stereo analog
connectors. No provision for anything beyond that with it.

> >> If not, your fancy receiver does take input from the OPTICAL OUT jack
> >> on the PS3.

> >Which doesn't get him multi-channel PCM or bitstreams beyond DTS-EX/ES

> Are you sure that is still true?

Unfortunately it is still true. It is a bandwidth issue.

T.B.

"Lloyd Parsons" wrote:

(snip)

>> >Which doesn't get him multi-channel PCM or bitstreams beyond DTS-EX/ES

>> Are you sure that is still true?

> Unfortunately it is still true. It is a bandwidth issue.

Also, aren't the DD 5.1 and DTS audio *not* full bitrate when going through
the optical or co-axl digital audio connections from just about any BR
player including the PS3?

T.B.