Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Wireless Adaptor Driver Problems

Wireless Adaptor Driver Problems

=?Utf-8?B?UmljaGFyZF9D?=

Can anyone help me please? I bought a wireless network kit from D-Link and
installed the SW and Router on my wife's laptop PC. I loaded the SW for the
Wireless adaptor on my desktop PC and inserted the wireless adaptor into the
USB port and bingo, everything worked perfectly for a couple of weeks. After
1 week on holiday, I came home, switched on my desktop PC but could not
establish a connection to the router. I double clicked on the DLink Icon for
the network connection wizard, got an hourglass for 4 seconds, but the
application failed to run. I uninstalled the sw and re-installed it but there
was no change. I tried again, still no change. I started to click around a
bit to try and find out what was going wrong and got one message that
indicated that the driver was missing.
I used the windows update driver facility and selected a driver from the
application CD (one of four options - took best guess). I got an error
message saying that installation had failed. This error message "An error
occurred in the installation of this device. The name is already in use as
either a service name or a service display name. Got another brief message
that the Wireless adaptor was faulty. Returned it to store and obtained a
replacement (adaptor only as router is working OK on wife's laptop).
Re-installed sw but each time results in error message "failed to load
driver" I searched the net, found this page
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/823771/en-us and followed steps after
uninstalling sw again. Found no registry entries associated with DLink.
Installed sw again, same result, failed to load driver. If I try and reload
the driver directly, I still get the "An error occurred in the installation
of this device. The name is already in use as either a service name or a
service display name.” error message but I can’t determine what this message
means and how to fix the problem.

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
Try to disable switch off Windows Wireless Zero Configuration,
http://www.ezlan.net/wzc.html
Get rid of Ghosts (if any) in the Device Manger,
http://www.ezlan.net/faq.html#ghost
Load again the Card's Utility and Drives together.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Richard_C" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Can anyone help me please? I bought a wireless network kit from D-Link and
> installed the SW and Router on my wife's laptop PC. I loaded the SW for
> the
> Wireless adaptor on my desktop PC and inserted the wireless adaptor into
> the
> USB port and bingo, everything worked perfectly for a couple of weeks.
> After
> 1 week on holiday, I came home, switched on my desktop PC but could not
> establish a connection to the router. I double clicked on the DLink Icon
> for
> the network connection wizard, got an hourglass for 4 seconds, but the
> application failed to run. I uninstalled the sw and re-installed it but
> there
> was no change. I tried again, still no change. I started to click around
> bit to try and find out what was going wrong and got one message that
> indicated that the driver was missing.
> I used the windows update driver facility and selected a driver from the
> application CD (one of four options - took best guess). I got an error
> message saying that installation had failed. This error message "An error
> occurred in the installation of this device. The name is already in use as
> either a service name or a service display name. Got another brief
> message
> that the Wireless adaptor was faulty. Returned it to store and obtained a
> replacement (adaptor only as router is working OK on wife's laptop).
> Re-installed sw but each time results in error message "failed to load
> driver" I searched the net, found this page
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/823771/en-us and followed steps after
> uninstalling sw again. Found no registry entries associated with DLink.
> Installed sw again, same result, failed to load driver. If I try and
> reload
> the driver directly, I still get the "An error occurred in the
> installation
> of this device. The name is already in use as either a service name or a
> service display name.” error message but I can’t determine what this
> message
> means and how to fix the problem.

=?Utf-8?B?UmljaGFyZF9D?=

Hi Jack,
Thanks for your help on this problem. Managed to switch off Wireless Zero
Configuration OK.
Then went to Device Manager, found yellow exclamation mark against Wireless
Adaptor entry. Uninstalled. Rebooted , reinstalled Application, failed to
load driver. Checked Device Manager again, yellow mark back again.
Uninstalled again. Rebooted. Opened Device Manager Window to watch during
Application Installation. During setup, when asked to insert Wireless
Adaptor, Device Manager refreshed and showed "Other Devices" with 802.11 bg
WLAN underneath, marked with yellow question mark and exclamation mark.
Continued installation, driver failed to install again, entry in Device
Manager changed to D-Link DWA-111 Wireless G USB Adaptor #12. I noticed that
the previous instance of this entry was marked #11. Does this mean I now have
12 rogue installations to deal with? Can you offer any more advice please?

"Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:

> Hi
> Try to disable switch off Windows Wireless Zero Configuration,
> http://www.ezlan.net/wzc.html
> Get rid of Ghosts (if any) in the Device Manger,
> http://www.ezlan.net/faq.html#ghost
> Load again the Card's Utility and Drives together.
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>
> "Richard_C" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Can anyone help me please? I bought a wireless network kit from D-Link and
> > installed the SW and Router on my wife's laptop PC. I loaded the SW for
> > the
> > Wireless adaptor on my desktop PC and inserted the wireless adaptor into
> > the
> > USB port and bingo, everything worked perfectly for a couple of weeks.
> > After
> > 1 week on holiday, I came home, switched on my desktop PC but could not
> > establish a connection to the router. I double clicked on the DLink Icon
> > for
> > the network connection wizard, got an hourglass for 4 seconds, but the
> > application failed to run. I uninstalled the sw and re-installed it but
> > there
> > was no change. I tried again, still no change. I started to click around
> > bit to try and find out what was going wrong and got one message that
> > indicated that the driver was missing.
> > I used the windows update driver facility and selected a driver from the
> > application CD (one of four options - took best guess). I got an error
> > message saying that installation had failed. This error message "An error
> > occurred in the installation of this device. The name is already in use as
> > either a service name or a service display name. Got another brief
> > message
> > that the Wireless adaptor was faulty. Returned it to store and obtained a
> > replacement (adaptor only as router is working OK on wife's laptop).
> > Re-installed sw but each time results in error message "failed to load
> > driver" I searched the net, found this page
> > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/823771/en-us and followed steps after
> > uninstalling sw again. Found no registry entries associated with DLink.
> > Installed sw again, same result, failed to load driver. If I try and
> > reload
> > the driver directly, I still get the "An error occurred in the
> > installation
> > of this device. The name is already in use as either a service name or a
> > service display name.” error message but I can’t determine what this
> > message
> > means and how to fix the problem.

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
Ignore the number every time you install it advances but that does not mean
that there is any other installation.
Try to log to D-Link support and download the latest drivers, if it doe not
help it might indicate a faulty card.
> [...]

>> > either a service name or a service display name. Got another brief
>> > message
>> > that the Wireless adaptor was faulty. Returned it to store and obtained
>> > replacement (adaptor only as router is working OK on wife's laptop).
>> > Re-installed sw but each time results in error message "failed to load
>> > driver" I searched the net, found this page
>> > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/823771/en-us and followed steps after
>> > uninstalling sw again. Found no registry entries associated with DLink.
>> > Installed sw again, same result, failed to load driver. If I try and
>> > reload
>> > the driver directly, I still get the "An error occurred in the
>> > installation
>> > of this device. The name is already in use as either a service name or
>> > service display name.” error message but I can’t determine what this

Already have the latest drivers from D-Link. Have tried installing from
original CD and the download. Perhaps I'll take the whole kit back to the
shop and try to exchange it for something else. Really appreciate you help.
Thanks again.