Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Creating bootable slipstream CD's for w2k3 X64 ( AMD)

Creating bootable slipstream CD's for w2k3 X64 ( AMD)

=?Utf-8?B?V2lsbGlzR3V5?=

Hi,

I hope I'm in the right space

Has anyone created a bootable slip stream CD from an existing

X64 (AMD) CD ?

There are a couple of procedures ( BARTS PE ! ) around that

discusses how to make a W2k3 x86 slipstream CD.

However those procedures fail because the the boot loader that is

either used by the tools do not seem to work with a AMD processor,
( My disgnoses ... ).

If you personally .. and successfully, created a Bootable ... Slipstream X64
CD ...

I'd like to hear from you.

John.Donnelly At HP.com

Theo

I have personally slipstreamed SP2 into the Win XP x64 CD
and created a bootable CD that I have personally installed
Win XP x64 w/SP2 from.

I used the steps noted in several articles available on the
internet about slipstreaming, but had to find the update.exe
in a different directory than that used for 32-bit XP. I
think it was in the AMD64 folder, but don't quote me on that.

If I remember correctly, the update.exe for x64 will not run
in 32-bit XP, and I extracted the boot image from the x64 CD
to make my bootable CD.

WillisGuy wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I hope I'm in the right space
>
> Has anyone created a bootable slip stream CD from an existing
> X64 (AMD) CD ?
>
> There are a couple of procedures ( BARTS PE ! ) around that
> discusses how to make a W2k3 x86 slipstream CD.
>
> However those procedures fail because the the boot loader that is
> either used by the tools do not seem to work with a AMD processor,
> ( My disgnoses ... ).
>
> If you personally .. and successfully, created a Bootable ... Slipstream X64
> CD ...
>
> I'd like to hear from you.
>

> John.Donnelly At HP.com

=?Utf-8?B?V2lsbGlzR3V5?=

Thanks for the info.

How did you extract the boot sector ?

That seems to be headache.

And picking the right CD burner.

I used Bart's PE bbie: to extract the 2k bootstrap,
and I used a Deep Burner CD utility to create a ISO or CD.

Not many burning utilites allow one to ceate a boot sector.
Nero has a funky way of creating a "boot able CD" by using
a hard disk image.

"Theo" wrote:

> I have personally slipstreamed SP2 into the Win XP x64 CD
> and created a bootable CD that I have personally installed
> Win XP x64 w/SP2 from.
>
> I used the steps noted in several articles available on the
> internet about slipstreaming, but had to find the update.exe
> in a different directory than that used for 32-bit XP. I
> think it was in the AMD64 folder, but don't quote me on that.
>
> If I remember correctly, the update.exe for x64 will not run
> in 32-bit XP, and I extracted the boot image from the x64 CD
> to make my bootable CD.
>

> WillisGuy wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I hope I'm in the right space
> >
> > Has anyone created a bootable slip stream CD from an existing
> > X64 (AMD) CD ?
> >
> > There are a couple of procedures ( BARTS PE ! ) around that
> > discusses how to make a W2k3 x86 slipstream CD.
> >
> > However those procedures fail because the the boot loader that is
> > either used by the tools do not seem to work with a AMD processor,
> > ( My disgnoses ... ).
> >
> > If you personally .. and successfully, created a Bootable ... Slipstream X64
> > CD ...
> >
> > I'd like to hear from you.
> >

> > John.Donnelly At HP.com

S.SubZero

On Nov 8, 1:01 pm, WillisGuy <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I hope I'm in the right space
>
> Has anyone created a bootable slip stream CD from an existing
>
> X64 (AMD) CD ?

Use nLite.

www.nliteos.com

This will let you make a slipstreamed Server 2003 x64 disc with no
troubles. It doesn't care what processor it is for.

Theo

I use ISOBuster to extract the boot image. I have a NEC
ND-3550A DVD burner and I have been using Nero using to burn
my discs. I have done both bootable CDs and DVDs.

http://www.helpwithwindows.com/Windo...p2-bootcd.html

You don't use any emulation when making the bootable CD.
Use the "NO EMULATION" as noted in the URL above. It has
been working for me for a LONG time.

WillisGuy wrote:
> Thanks for the info.
>
> How did you extract the boot sector ?
>
> That seems to be headache.
>
> And picking the right CD burner.
>
> I used Bart's PE bbie: to extract the 2k bootstrap,
> and I used a Deep Burner CD utility to create a ISO or CD.
>
> Not many burning utilites allow one to ceate a boot sector.
> Nero has a funky way of creating a "boot able CD" by using
> a hard disk image.
>
> "Theo" wrote:
>
>> I have personally slipstreamed SP2 into the Win XP x64 CD
>> and created a bootable CD that I have personally installed
>> Win XP x64 w/SP2 from.
>>
>> I used the steps noted in several articles available on the
>> internet about slipstreaming, but had to find the update.exe
>> in a different directory than that used for 32-bit XP. I
>> think it was in the AMD64 folder, but don't quote me on that.
>>
>> If I remember correctly, the update.exe for x64 will not run
>> in 32-bit XP, and I extracted the boot image from the x64 CD
>> to make my bootable CD.
>>

>> WillisGuy wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I hope I'm in the right space
>>>
>>> Has anyone created a bootable slip stream CD from an existing
>>> X64 (AMD) CD ?
>>>
>>> There are a couple of procedures ( BARTS PE ! ) around that
>>> discusses how to make a W2k3 x86 slipstream CD.
>>>
>>> However those procedures fail because the the boot loader that is
>>> either used by the tools do not seem to work with a AMD processor,
>>> ( My disgnoses ... ).
>>>
>>> If you personally .. and successfully, created a Bootable ... Slipstream X64
>>> CD ...
>>>
>>> I'd like to hear from you.
>>>

>>> John.Donnelly At HP.com

=?Utf-8?B?V2lsbGlzR3V5?=

> www.nliteos.com
>
> This will let you make a slipstreamed Server 2003 x64 disc with no
> troubles. It doesn't care what processor it is for.

This looks pretty promising !
The x86 worked great ..
I'l try X64 next .
Thx.