Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Hard-code AP list in XP?

Hard-code AP list in XP?

Jacob Lane, MCP

All-

Wondering if anyone else has this problem ...

We have a Windows network with about 15 laptops; all highly mobile users.
Unfortunately, a lot of the users like to plop down at public access points
to check their e-mail and surf the web, etc. This is a problem because of
the highly sensitive nature of the work we do and we cannot afford to have a
breach of our data.

I am wondering if there is way with Group Policy to explicitly specify what
access points or WiFi networks an XP machine can connect to and not allow
the user to change it?

Anyone?

Jake

Jeff

Although not allowing to connect to specific AP's, the
best bet to allow your users to still have some freedom is
to use a firewall on their computers. If using Windows
XP, download SP2 and turn it on. Otherwise ZoneAlarms
makes a solid firewall.

Use the GPO to enable the firewall when they are not
connected to the LAN and disable the firewall when they
are on the corporate LAN. Make sure there user account
has User rights only.

S. Pidgorny

Yes, there is wireless group policy that allows to set priority SSIDs.
You'll have to update AD schema to Windows 2003 (AD can still be on Windows
2000), and use W2K3 or XP Group Policy MMC.

--
Svyatoslav Pidgorny, MVP, MCSE
-= F1 is the key =-

"Jacob Lane, MCP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:O4bI08a$(E-Mail Removed)...
> All-
>
> Wondering if anyone else has this problem ...
>
> We have a Windows network with about 15 laptops; all highly mobile users.
> Unfortunately, a lot of the users like to plop down at public access

points
> to check their e-mail and surf the web, etc. This is a problem because of
> the highly sensitive nature of the work we do and we cannot afford to have

> breach of our data.
>
> I am wondering if there is way with Group Policy to explicitly specify

what
> access points or WiFi networks an XP machine can connect to and not allow
> the user to change it?
>
> Anyone?
>
> Jake

Pavel A.

If your notebooks are Centrino based, check with manufacturer support,
whether the WLAN adapter supports list of mandatory APs.
Some Centrino WLAN adapters support this.
--PA