Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > HD-DVD, Blu Ray forums on AVS Forum shut down because of physical threats

Reply
Thread Tools

HD-DVD, Blu Ray forums on AVS Forum shut down because of physical threats

 
 
Lloyd Parsons
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-09-2007
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
willbill <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Lloyd Parsons wrote:
>
> > In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > "Elmo P. Shagnasty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>
>
> >>Why do I care about any of it? No, let me rephrase that: why SHOULD I
> >>care about any of it?

>
>
> > If you are happy watching what you are watching, I can't think of any
> > reason you should care about it.

>
>
>
> i'm happy with the video that my upscaling
> OPPO provides from standard DVD movies
>
> with either HD-DVD or BD, is the multichannel
> sound that much better?
>
>
> bill


On those movies that have a lossless track, the difference often is
amazing. Unfortunately not all movies are quite up to that standard.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Rich
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-09-2007
They should have shut the hi def disc area down months ago. It
attracted the worst of the internet from both sides, and was a mess.
I love AVSForum and frequently post and read the other forums, but I
haven't gone into the "Blu Ray/HD-DVD Cesspool" for quite some time.
It was just ridiculous.

To be honest, I don't think one side was worse than the other. If I
was forced into picking, I'd say the Blu Ray people started it; they
called the HD-DVD people dregs, and repeatedly said the only reason to
buy HD-DVD is if you were too poor to afford the "technologically
superior format". When the XBox people fired back accusing the Blu
Ray people of being snobs, there was just really no going back. It
was thinly disguised class warfare, which was interesting from a
societal aspect, but not so interesting if you just wanted to read
about the latest releases on both formats.

It also didn't help that those forums were INFESTED with shills. I've
never in my life seen a single forum so full of people who stood to
gain financially from the success of one of the two formats,
pretending to write impartial posts boosting their format of choice.

It was just a lot of dick swinging and nonsense, and in the end they
did the right thing.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Rich
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-09-2007
On Nov 8, 8:30 pm, "Elmo P. Shagnasty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I'm Joe Average. I have a hi-def TV, nothing special, and I'm getting
> the QAM channels and also am still watching the analog channels (via
> ReplayTV).
>
> Why do I care about any of it? No, let me rephrase that: why SHOULD I
> care about any of it?


On specific movies it is stunning. Once a few of your favorites come
out, IMO it's worth it. "The Matrix", "Batman Begins", and "The
Thing" on HD-DVD are a couple of my favorites, along with the first
"Pirates" movie and "Casino Royale" on Blu Ray.

My best advice is that when you're researching which format to buy,
ignore the internet forums and just go with which format has the most
exclusive movies you want to buy. Just stay away from the older Blu
Ray players; a PS3 is a safe bet, because you know you're going to get
constant firmware updates to the latest Blu Ray standard. Older HD-
DVD players are ok, but glacially slow.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Lloyd Parsons
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-09-2007
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
willbill <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Lloyd Parsons wrote:
>
>
> > In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > willbill <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>
>
> >>i'm happy with the video that my upscaling
> >>OPPO provides from standard DVD movies
> >>
> >>with either HD-DVD or BD, is the multichannel
> >>sound that much better?

>
>
>
> > On those movies that have a lossless track, the difference often is
> > amazing. Unfortunately not all movies are quite up to that standard.

>
>
>
> fwiw, i've looked at maybe 20 different titles
> (on both formats; total of 40), and have yet
> to see anything other than the standard DD
> hi def multichannel sound
>
> btw, thanks for the response.
> i guess i'll have to keep looking at the hi def
> movie disks that show up in the stores coz that's
> the one thing that would get my interest/dollars.
> unfortunately, it appears to be last on the list
> of things that will be done for hi def movie disks
>
> my gold standard for multichannel sound continues
> to be the SACD audio disks that my OPPO can play
>
>
> bill


Lionsgate tends to use DTS-ES on many titles. Fox uses DTSHD-MA, which
no player decodes yet. There are a few (damn few) titles with 6.1 or
7.1 LPCM on BluRay. And TrueHD is there on a very few HDDVD and BluRay
discs.

Pretty sad overall though, as you noticed.
 
Reply With Quote
 
willbill
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-09-2007
Lloyd Parsons wrote:


> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> willbill <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:



>>i'm happy with the video that my upscaling
>>OPPO provides from standard DVD movies
>>
>>with either HD-DVD or BD, is the multichannel
>>sound that much better?




> On those movies that have a lossless track, the difference often is
> amazing. Unfortunately not all movies are quite up to that standard.




fwiw, i've looked at maybe 20 different titles
(on both formats; total of 40), and have yet
to see anything other than the standard DD
hi def multichannel sound

btw, thanks for the response.
i guess i'll have to keep looking at the hi def
movie disks that show up in the stores coz that's
the one thing that would get my interest/dollars.
unfortunately, it appears to be last on the list
of things that will be done for hi def movie disks

my gold standard for multichannel sound continues
to be the SACD audio disks that my OPPO can play


bill
 
Reply With Quote
 
ChairmanOfTheBored
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-10-2007
On Fri, 09 Nov 2007 13:44:16 -0000, Rich <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>They should have shut the hi def disc area down months ago.


You're an idiot.

> It
>attracted the worst of the internet from both sides, and was a mess.


And obviously... idiots from the nether regions as well.

>I love AVSForum and frequently post and read the other forums, but I
>haven't gone into the "Blu Ray/HD-DVD Cesspool" for quite some time.
>It was just ridiculous.


So is worrying about it. Much less posting about it.

>
>To be honest, I don't think one side was worse than the other. If I
>was forced into picking, I'd say the Blu Ray people started it; they
>called the HD-DVD people dregs, and repeatedly said the only reason to
>buy HD-DVD is if you were too poor to afford the "technologically
>superior format". When the XBox people fired back accusing the Blu
>Ray people of being snobs, there was just really no going back. It
>was thinly disguised class warfare, which was interesting from a
>societal aspect, but not so interesting if you just wanted to read
>about the latest releases on both formats.


Bullshit. There is no class war. Blu Ray owners as well as HD DVD
owners are higher income bracket folks on BOTH sides.

Where do you dredge this utter bullshit up from? Come back IF you ever
get a sociology or psychology degree.

>It also didn't help that those forums were INFESTED with shills.


Idiots like you cal anyone that disagrees a troll. Anyone that touts a
shill. Where do you get off the stupidity bus at? Oh... that's right...
you are DRIVING IT!

> I've
>never in my life seen a single forum so full of people who stood to
>gain financially from the success of one of the two formats,
>pretending to write impartial posts boosting their format of choice.


I doubt you have any proof that that takes place. All you have is your
ill drawn conjecture, at best.

>It was just a lot of dick swinging and nonsense, and in the end they
>did the right thing.


What do you call your little dance here? Fairy tip-toeing?
 
Reply With Quote
 
Lloyd Parsons
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-10-2007
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
ChairmanOfTheBored <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Fri, 09 Nov 2007 13:00:08 -0500, Lloyd Parsons <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> >Lionsgate tends to use DTS-ES on many titles. Fox uses DTSHD-MA, which
> >no player decodes yet.

>
> Bullshit.
>
> First off, the receivers that have the capacity to accept and process
> such signals are just now coming online.
>
> The HD-A35 has DTSHD-MA as well as the lossless dolby standard.
>

But with HDDVD there is exactly zero DTSHD-MA software. Heck, there
isn't even very much TrueHD.

> > There are a few (damn few) titles with 6.1 or
> >7.1 LPCM on BluRay. And TrueHD is there on a very few HDDVD and BluRay
> >discs.
> >
> >Pretty sad overall though, as you noticed.

>
> What is truly sad are folks that think things get engineered into
> consumer products overnight.


Not overnight, but within 2 years...
 
Reply With Quote
 
ChairmanOfTheBored
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-10-2007
On Fri, 09 Nov 2007 13:00:08 -0500, Lloyd Parsons <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Lionsgate tends to use DTS-ES on many titles. Fox uses DTSHD-MA, which
>no player decodes yet.


Bullshit.

First off, the receivers that have the capacity to accept and process
such signals are just now coming online.

The HD-A35 has DTSHD-MA as well as the lossless dolby standard.

> There are a few (damn few) titles with 6.1 or
>7.1 LPCM on BluRay. And TrueHD is there on a very few HDDVD and BluRay
>discs.
>
>Pretty sad overall though, as you noticed.


What is truly sad are folks that think things get engineered into
consumer products overnight.
 
Reply With Quote
 
ChairmanOfTheBored
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-10-2007
On Fri, 09 Nov 2007 12:37:54 -0600, willbill <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Lloyd Parsons wrote:
>
>
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>> willbill <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>
>
>>>i'm happy with the video that my upscaling
>>>OPPO provides from standard DVD movies
>>>
>>>with either HD-DVD or BD, is the multichannel
>>>sound that much better?

>
>
>
>> On those movies that have a lossless track, the difference often is
>> amazing. Unfortunately not all movies are quite up to that standard.

>
>
>
>fwiw, i've looked at maybe 20 different titles
>(on both formats; total of 40), and have yet
>to see anything other than the standard DD
>hi def multichannel sound
>
>btw, thanks for the response.
>i guess i'll have to keep looking at the hi def
>movie disks that show up in the stores coz that's
>the one thing that would get my interest/dollars.
>unfortunately, it appears to be last on the list
>of things that will be done for hi def movie disks
>
>my gold standard for multichannel sound continues
>to be the SACD audio disks that my OPPO can play
>


The only other thing I think is completely retarded about Usenet are
idiot asswipes that do not remember how to use the shift key (if they
ever knew). Same types of assholes that walk around with their pants
hanging down past their asscrack. Same mentality, for sure.

If you are old enough to contemplate buying this ****, you are old
enough to act a little less like a total retard.
 
Reply With Quote
 
ChairmanOfTheBored
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-10-2007
On Fri, 09 Nov 2007 22:33:42 -0500, Lloyd Parsons <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> ChairmanOfTheBored <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 09 Nov 2007 13:00:08 -0500, Lloyd Parsons <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >Lionsgate tends to use DTS-ES on many titles. Fox uses DTSHD-MA, which
>> >no player decodes yet.

>>
>> Bullshit.
>>
>> First off, the receivers that have the capacity to accept and process
>> such signals are just now coming online.
>>
>> The HD-A35 has DTSHD-MA as well as the lossless dolby standard.
>>

>But with HDDVD there is exactly zero DTSHD-MA software. Heck, there
>isn't even very much TrueHD.
>
>> > There are a few (damn few) titles with 6.1 or
>> >7.1 LPCM on BluRay. And TrueHD is there on a very few HDDVD and BluRay
>> >discs.
>> >
>> >Pretty sad overall though, as you noticed.

>>
>> What is truly sad are folks that think things get engineered into
>> consumer products overnight.

>
>Not overnight, but within 2 years...



List of titles:
— Arizona Dream
— Basic Instinct
— Deer Hunter
X— Elephant Man
— l’Armee des Ombres
— La Haine
— Mulholland Drive
— Pacte des Loups (le)
X— Pianist (the)
— Serpico
— Terminator 2
X— The Fog
— The Graduate
— La Grande Vadrouille
— Million Dollar Baby
— Ali
— Traffic

All these title were supposed to get it, the ones with the X did get
DTSHD-MA.

I am sure there are others.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
M$ against Blu-ray, M$ for Blu-ray, M$ against Blu-ray, M$ forBlu-ray, ...... Blig Merk DVD Video 66 04-27-2008 04:46 AM
Sony and Blu-Ray going down the tubes... Rich DVD Video 1 09-29-2005 09:34 PM
winamp avs help leejabramson@yahoo.com Computer Support 1 07-05-2005 12:03 AM
"cannot shut down because a modal dialog is active" error Matt ASP .Net 0 08-15-2004 05:00 PM
Alternative to Blu-Ray. HD-DVD gets DVD Forum approval Australis NZ Computing 0 12-05-2003 05:42 PM



Advertisments