Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSD > The next generation and cheating

Reply
Thread Tools

The next generation and cheating

 
 
FrisbeeŽ
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-10-2006
"Gorm Braarvig" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "JaR" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Xns9765744022213Talleywhacker@207.46.248.16.. .
>> Echoed forth from the dank caverns of microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcsd,
>> the plaintive wail of Gorm Braarvig:
>>
>>>> You just don't understand!
>>> You are right. I might be a bit slow. Please explain, I am into
>>> learning.

>>
>> It's a quote from a discussion we had long ago with one who allegedly had
>> inside info on the exam prep process. Her constant reply to various
>> suggestions about the testing procedure was always that we did not
>> understand the arcane machinations of the test architects, and that our
>> suggestions were invalid, as they just would not scale.
>>
>> The one to explain has not been around for a while, and probably
>> fortunately, as she would be just as unable to explain why $Solution does
>> not scale, but would be repeatedly telling us all what dolts we are for
>> not understanding in the first place.
>>
>> I leave it to others more masochistic than I to invoke L.A.R. if they
>> feel the need for further clarification.
>>
>> --
>> JaR
>> MCNGP 10110
>> Remove hat to reply
>> If you're playing a poker game and you look around the table and can't
>> tell who the sucker is, it's you.

>
> I understand.
>
> Most people I have met with the "will not scale"-argument
> a) does not know what they are talking about
> b) have no low-level experience
> c) have no math-background
> d) have low problem-solving skills
> e) talks mostly in general terms
> f) has abstract reasons ready for anything and specific knowledge of
> nothing
> ...the list goes on...


None of those apply to the person in question. She knew her sh!t, there was
never any doubt about that. We were stupid and that was that (seriously).


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
JaR
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-10-2006
Echoed forth from the dank caverns of microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcsd, the
plaintive wail of FrisbeeŽ:

> I think she might have just been on the rag or something.
>
> I never understood it either.
>
> But I was askeered to ask her anymore.


Pfft. Having a discussion with L. on the best of days was like french
kissing a land mine.

Although it was fun watching the odd goofball trying to outlast her at
getting in the "last word". Usta remind me of my grandkids doing the same
thing. LOL!

--
JaR
MCNGP 10110
Remove hat to reply
Anyone who puts a small gloss on a fundamental technology, calls it
proprietary, and then tries to keep others from building on it, is a thief.
~Tim O'Reilly
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Gorm Braarvig
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-11-2006
>>> If you're playing a poker game and you look around the table and can't
>>> tell who the sucker is, it's you.


he, he, I finally got it, the joke is on me.

> None of those apply to the person in question. She knew her sh!t, there
> was never any doubt about that. We were stupid and that was that
> (seriously).


let's hope she returns, I have always liked chating with the god-like people
that doesen't need to bow for logic.


 
Reply With Quote
 
JaR
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-13-2006
Echoed forth from the dank caverns of microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcsd,
the plaintive wail of Gorm Braarvig:

> let's hope she returns, I have always liked chating with the god-like
> people that doesen't need to bow for logic.


Be careful what you ask for.

--
JaR
MCNGP 10110
Remove hat to reply
How would a car function if it were designed like a computer?
Occasionally, executing a maneuver would cause your car to stop and fail
and you would have to re-install the engine, and the airbag system would
say, "Are you sure?" before going off. ~Katie Hafner
 
Reply With Quote
 
Kline Sphere
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-15-2006
>Her constant reply to various
>suggestions about the testing procedure was always that we did not
>understand the arcane machinations of the test architects, and that our
>suggestions were invalid, as they just would not scale.


Well that's true, I don't 'understand the arcane machinations of the
test architects'. My point at the time, and I've not changed my view
since, is that the [current] process is crap. The process 'certifies'
nothing because the certification format is open to abuse because
people can and do cheat. Other organizations, all with less financial
clout the microsoft manage the provide a certification process that
works, i.e. a process that involves a written and/or lab based core
part of the process, whereby the candidate has to explain and describe
not only the answer, but why they came about the answer. Unlike ms
software, this process will scale

Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3
 
Reply With Quote
 
JaR
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-15-2006
Echoed forth from the dank caverns of microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcsd, the
plaintive wail of Kline Sphere:

> Other organizations, all with less financial
> clout the microsoft manage the provide a certification process that
> works, i.e. a process that involves a written and/or lab based core
> part of the process, whereby the candidate has to explain and describe
> not only the answer, but why they came about the answer. Unlike ms
> software, this process will scale


That's what made L's constant protestations of lack of scalability so
aggravating.

No other certification body that I have ever had contact with seems to care
so little about the validity of their certifying process.

Plumbers have a far tougher examination of their skills.

--
JaR
MCNGP 10110
Remove hat to reply
The plural of anecdote is not data. ~Frank Kotsonis
 
Reply With Quote
 
Gorm Braarvig
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-16-2006
"JaR" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns976B921B178B8Talleywhacker@207.46.248.16.. .
> Echoed forth from the dank caverns of microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcsd, the
> plaintive wail of Kline Sphere:
>
>> Other organizations, all with less financial
>> clout the microsoft manage the provide a certification process that
>> works, i.e. a process that involves a written and/or lab based core
>> part of the process, whereby the candidate has to explain and describe
>> not only the answer, but why they came about the answer. Unlike ms
>> software, this process will scale

>
> That's what made L's constant protestations of lack of scalability so
> aggravating.
>
> No other certification body that I have ever had contact with seems to
> care
> so little about the validity of their certifying process.
>
> Plumbers have a far tougher examination of their skills.
>
> --
> JaR
> MCNGP 10110
> Remove hat to reply
> The plural of anecdote is not data. ~Frank Kotsonis


I disagree. My limited exp with the exams tells me they are hard.

I've only got the result on one beta exam (database I believe), I failed.
I think I am pretty good at databases; I also have two years of exp on SQL
2005, not enough.
I had no test-specific preps, but I thought that, being the guy that I am, I
might pass anyway.
The thought of some inexperienced moron memorizing the answers and pass this
exam makes me think I wasted most of the time taking it (a full day because
of problems with the exam).
Tests should be dynamic by nature.
As an occasional recruiter, I would (even) prefer brainbench on-site to
looking for MC*s. Can't someone just invent something?


 
Reply With Quote
 
Gorm Braarvig
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-16-2006
> I disagree. My limited exp with the exams tells me they are hard.

Sorry, JaR, and greetings!
You were talking about the [current] exams.
I don't disagree, I know nothing.


 
Reply With Quote
 
JaR
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-17-2006
Echoed forth from the dank caverns of microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcsd,
the plaintive wail of Gorm Braarvig:

>
>> I disagree. My limited exp with the exams tells me they are hard.

>
> Sorry, JaR, and greetings!
> You were talking about the [current] exams.
> I don't disagree, I know nothing.


Well, to be fair, it's not the exam itself to which I was referring. My
comment about plumbers is meant to reference the fact that they are
required to serve a period of apprenticeship and/or technical school
training before they are even _allowed_ to take any certification exam.
And that exam has a practical, hands-on component.

Any fsckwit with the correct fees paid may take any Microsoft exam and
become "certified" as an expert in a field that in all likelihood, he may
never have worked a single day.

--
JaR
MCNGP 10110
Remove hat to reply
Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under. ~H. L.
Mencken
 
Reply With Quote
 
Lydon Bergin
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-17-2006
> Any fsckwit with the correct fees paid may take any Microsoft exam and
> become "certified" as an expert in a field that in all likelihood, he may
> never have worked a single day.


While that is true, it would also be a little overzealous, not to mention a
logistical nightmare, to only allow people who have worked in the field to
take certification exams. I am working on my MCAD Certification and I have
passed one of the exams and NEVER WORKED AS A DEVELOPER, but that's what I
eventually want to do. That sure doesn't mean that I don't know how to
code, because I do; it just means that because you have to have experience
to get a job, and you have to have a job to get experience, I haven't been
able to get a job! But, since I've gotten my MCP about a month ago, I have
already gotten an interview for a development job and I knew everything that
the interviewer asked me.

If MS decides to make the next generation only available to people that have
worked in the field, then that will make the Cache 22 of trying to get a job
even worse. Sure, there are people who just memorize BrainDumps, but there
are also those of us that take the time to actually learn the objectives to
pass the exams, and we should be able to do that.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Chat with cheating wife and date her now sanjula Ruby 0 11-27-2010 08:31 AM
CurrentElement->next = CurrentElement->next->next (UNDEFINED?) Deniz Bahar C Programming 2 03-09-2005 12:45 AM
Cheating? JM Microsoft Certification 2 02-22-2005 08:05 PM
Common with cheating about wide and tele conversion? Olav Naess Digital Photography 4 11-28-2004 04:10 PM
HTML Generation (Next Generation CGI) John W. Long Ruby 4 11-24-2003 04:24 AM



Advertisments