Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > WEP - Dell 1180 USB Adapter

WEP - Dell 1180 USB Adapter

=?Utf-8?B?RzM1QzAzMw==?=

Have set-up a 2 node wireless network in my home (w/128-bit wep on the main
pc) utilizing a Dell 2300 Truemobile router.

Having diffculty configuring wep key type & length on the client station
which is a Dell 4600c with Dell 1180 usb adapter. Dell's documentation
suggests letting Windows XP Home do the configuration, however I don't see
the tab (Wireless Networking Properties) that would allow me to change wep
key type & length. Further, Dell's doc. shows a slightly different utility
for managing the 1180 adapter (with extra tab) than that which appears in my
icon tray, bottom right of screen. Running XP Home SP2 and current driver on
the 1180 adapter

Appreciate suggestions! Thanks very much, Jim

Carol

I"ve never been able to figure that out either. I just fill in all the
information in the wireless network connection, then try to connect. If the
full 128 WEP key didn't get entered, a box pops up and lets you enter it.
The space provided then is ample for the full key.

"G35C033" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Have set-up a 2 node wireless network in my home (w/128-bit wep on the
> main
> pc) utilizing a Dell 2300 Truemobile router.
>
> Having diffculty configuring wep key type & length on the client station
> which is a Dell 4600c with Dell 1180 usb adapter. Dell's documentation
> suggests letting Windows XP Home do the configuration, however I don't see
> the tab (Wireless Networking Properties) that would allow me to change wep
> key type & length. Further, Dell's doc. shows a slightly different
> utility
> for managing the 1180 adapter (with extra tab) than that which appears in
> my
> icon tray, bottom right of screen. Running XP Home SP2 and current driver
> on
> the 1180 adapter
>
> Appreciate suggestions! Thanks very much, Jim

=?Utf-8?B?RzM1QzAzMw==?=

Hi Carol - Thanks for your suggestion. I'll try and activate the pop-up box
you mention. I did try to copy/paste the 104-bit hex key on my initial go
round, something that was suggested by an IT guy at work. It didn't seem to
work, as only 23 of the 26 characters made the box. I probably won't have a
chance to try your suggestion until the weekend, but will let you know what
happens.

Anyone else with suggestions here?

"Carol" wrote:

> I"ve never been able to figure that out either. I just fill in all the
> information in the wireless network connection, then try to connect. If the
> full 128 WEP key didn't get entered, a box pops up and lets you enter it.
> The space provided then is ample for the full key.
>
> "G35C033" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Have set-up a 2 node wireless network in my home (w/128-bit wep on the
> > main
> > pc) utilizing a Dell 2300 Truemobile router.
> >
> > Having diffculty configuring wep key type & length on the client station
> > which is a Dell 4600c with Dell 1180 usb adapter. Dell's documentation
> > suggests letting Windows XP Home do the configuration, however I don't see
> > the tab (Wireless Networking Properties) that would allow me to change wep
> > key type & length. Further, Dell's doc. shows a slightly different
> > utility
> > for managing the 1180 adapter (with extra tab) than that which appears in
> > my
> > icon tray, bottom right of screen. Running XP Home SP2 and current driver
> > on
> > the 1180 adapter
> >
> > Appreciate suggestions! Thanks very much, Jim

=?Utf-8?B?RzM1QzAzMw==?=

Carol -

We were able to connect from the client, wep enabled, last night by
following your suggestion and inputting the full 104-bit (26) character hex
key in the pop-up box. My mom is happy now that she can get back on the
Internet!

Thanks for your help - Jim