Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > WMV files

WMV files

Lookout

Win XP SP2
Many.WMV files won't play suddenly. They are NOT DRM files...they
don't make you connect to a site to view them however I believe they
may be trying to at least hit the net for some reason. How can I find
out if a port is being hit when one of these plays? Is there a program
that will alert me when a port is being opened or at least attempting
to open? I recently installed a new program with has caused other
problems and I believe this could be another problem.

Thanks

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

Lookout wrote:
> Win XP SP2
> Many.WMV files won't play suddenly. They are NOT DRM files...they
> don't make you connect to a site to view them however I believe they
> may be trying to at least hit the net for some reason. How can I find
> out if a port is being hit when one of these plays? Is there a program
> that will alert me when a port is being opened or at least attempting
> to open? I recently installed a new program with has caused other
> problems and I believe this could be another problem.

ZoneAlarm

Andromeda

guess the only way (that i know anway) to check is run a netstat when your
not playing this file and noting how many ports are open (established) and
then running a netstat when the .wmv file is playing

"Lookout" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Win XP SP2
> Many.WMV files won't play suddenly. They are NOT DRM files...they
> don't make you connect to a site to view them however I believe they
> may be trying to at least hit the net for some reason. How can I find
> out if a port is being hit when one of these plays? Is there a program
> that will alert me when a port is being opened or at least attempting
> to open? I recently installed a new program with has caused other
> problems and I believe this could be another problem.
>
> Thanks

Andromeda

yep zone alarm tends to block everything

what programme have you downloaded by the way?

news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Lookout wrote:
>> Win XP SP2
>> Many.WMV files won't play suddenly. They are NOT DRM files...they
>> don't make you connect to a site to view them however I believe they
>> may be trying to at least hit the net for some reason. How can I find
>> out if a port is being hit when one of these plays? Is there a program
>> that will alert me when a port is being opened or at least attempting
>> to open? I recently installed a new program with has caused other
>> problems and I believe this could be another problem.

> ZoneAlarm

pcbuilder98

"Lookout" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Win XP SP2
> Many.WMV files won't play suddenly. They are NOT DRM files...they
> don't make you connect to a site to view them however I believe they
> may be trying to at least hit the net for some reason. How can I find
> out if a port is being hit when one of these plays? Is there a program
> that will alert me when a port is being opened or at least attempting
> to open? I recently installed a new program with has caused other
> problems and I believe this could be another problem.
>
> Thanks

CurrPorts will tell you in real time what ports are open and what sites they
are talking to:
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/cports.html
Can also close ports (temporially) too. No install. Just run the
executiable.
--
pcbuilder98

Lookout

On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 11:05:00 -0500, Rgr <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Lookout wrote:
>> Win XP SP2
>> Many.WMV files won't play suddenly. They are NOT DRM files...they
>> don't make you connect to a site to view them however I believe they
>> may be trying to at least hit the net for some reason. How can I find
>> out if a port is being hit when one of these plays? Is there a program
>> that will alert me when a port is being opened or at least attempting
>> to open? I recently installed a new program with has caused other
>> problems and I believe this could be another problem.

>ZoneAlarm

I don't have ZoneAlarm installed.
And the only change was that one program and I can't see a video
program BLOCKING a port.

Lookout

On Thu, 8 Nov 2007 10:40:53 -0600, "pcbuilder98" <pcbuilder98@_.com>
wrote:

>"Lookout" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> Win XP SP2
>> Many.WMV files won't play suddenly. They are NOT DRM files...they
>> don't make you connect to a site to view them however I believe they
>> may be trying to at least hit the net for some reason. How can I find
>> out if a port is being hit when one of these plays? Is there a program
>> that will alert me when a port is being opened or at least attempting
>> to open? I recently installed a new program with has caused other
>> problems and I believe this could be another problem.
>>
>> Thanks

>CurrPorts will tell you in real time what ports are open and what sites they
>are talking to:
>http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/cports.html
>Can also close ports (temporially) too. No install. Just run the
>executiable.

Thanks. If I've reading this correctly trying to run one of the WMVs
doesn't seem to open or try to open a port. I guess that means this
isn't the problem. These are WMVs that others can open with no
problem. WMP Classic says it can't render file. WMV is associated with
WMP also.
Strange..I wonder what that other program did.

Thanks

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

Lookout <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Win XP SP2
>Many.WMV files won't play suddenly. They are NOT DRM files...they
>don't make you connect to a site to view them however I believe they
>may be trying to at least hit the net for some reason. How can I find
>out if a port is being hit when one of these plays? Is there a program
>that will alert me when a port is being opened or at least attempting
>to open? I recently installed a new program with has caused other
>problems and I believe this could be another problem.

Tcpview will show what program is access the net
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sys...s/TcpView.mspx
It's part of my security (I use zone alarm)

Also give VLC a try it will play almost anything.
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

I'm not a big fan of WMP so my WMV files play with irfanview
Ones Irfanview can't play VLC will do the trick
http://www.irfanview.com/ (with plugins)

--

Remember the Dell Dude?
He's now waiting tables at Tortilla Flats

ded

"Lookout" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Thanks. If I've reading this correctly trying to run one of the WMVs
> doesn't seem to open or try to open a port. I guess that means this
> isn't the problem. These are WMVs that others can open with no
> problem. WMP Classic says it can't render file. WMV is associated with
> WMP also.
> Strange..I wonder what that other program did.
>
> Thanks

So there was an error message, start here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/234019/en-us

dadiOH

Lookout wrote:
> On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 11:05:00 -0500, Rgr <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> Lookout wrote:
>>> Win XP SP2
>>> Many.WMV files won't play suddenly. They are NOT DRM files...they
>>> don't make you connect to a site to view them however I believe
>>> they may be trying to at least hit the net for some reason. How
>>> can I find out if a port is being hit when one of these plays? Is
>>> there a program that will alert me when a port is being opened or
>>> at least attempting to open? I recently installed a new program
>>> with has caused other problems and I believe this could be
>>> another problem.

>> ZoneAlarm

> I don't have ZoneAlarm installed.

So why did you ask...

"Is there a program that will alert me when a port is being opened or
at least attempting to open?"

if you didn't want an answer?

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

How to play WMV files from Mozilla? James Messick Firefox 4 09-24-2007 12:44 PM
Embedded WMV files not playing in IE or FF1.5 RyeTronics Firefox 3 03-05-2006 07:13 AM
WMV Files Nigel Stapley Firefox 3 01-02-2006 01:36 PM
firebird not playing .WMV files Axl Firefox 7 12-10-2003 07:40 PM
WMV files opening web-sites Stan Computer Support 0 08-24-2003 06:23 PM

Advertisments