Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Lights on PC for 4 sec then powers off

Lights on PC for 4 sec then powers off

Deubug

Hi, when I apply mains power to the PC, before pushing the power
button, all the drive LEDs and the power LED light up, all the fans
start and I think the DVD drive spins.
After 4 secs everything dies except for the HD LED which remains
lit.The PC stays like this until unplugged from the mains. Only the
power cord is connected to the PC and this direct to the wall socket.
Sometimes when power is applied only the HD LED lights.

Am I looking at a dying PSU?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

Deubug wrote:
> Hi, when I apply mains power to the PC, before pushing the power
> button, all the drive LEDs and the power LED light up, all the fans
> start and I think the DVD drive spins.
> After 4 secs everything dies except for the HD LED which remains
> lit.The PC stays like this until unplugged from the mains. Only the
> power cord is connected to the PC and this direct to the wall socket.
> Sometimes when power is applied only the HD LED lights.
>
> Am I looking at a dying PSU?

No, your power switch is screwed. 4 seconds is exactly the time that the
system turns off if the power switch is held in.

Brian Cryer

"Deubug" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Hi, when I apply mains power to the PC, before pushing the power
> button, all the drive LEDs and the power LED light up, all the fans
> start and I think the DVD drive spins.
> After 4 secs everything dies except for the HD LED which remains
> lit.The PC stays like this until unplugged from the mains. Only the
> power cord is connected to the PC and this direct to the wall socket.
> Sometimes when power is applied only the HD LED lights.

Something to try is opening the case and seeing if the fan on the cpu is
clogged with dust. I had a pc that would only stay on a few seconds but
vacuming it out cured the problem. Not sure about the disk LED though, so I
may be on the wrong track.

> Am I looking at a dying PSU?

Do you have another PC that you could try swapping out the power supply?
(Just don't put your potentially bad one into a good pc!)

I like Rgr's suggestion. Didn't think of that, and it sounds quite
reasonable.
--
Brian Cryer
www.cryer.co.uk/brian

Ish

On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 04:49:17 -0500, Rgr wrote:

> Deubug wrote:
>> Hi, when I apply mains power to the PC, before pushing the power button,
>> all the drive LEDs and the power LED light up, all the fans start and I
>> think the DVD drive spins. After 4 secs everything dies except for the
>> HD LED which remains lit.The PC stays like this until unplugged from the
>> mains. Only the power cord is connected to the PC and this direct to the
>> wall socket. Sometimes when power is applied only the HD LED lights.
>>
>> Am I looking at a dying PSU?

> No, your power switch is screwed. 4 seconds is exactly the time that the
> system turns off if the power switch is held in.

Sometimes the plastic and spring gizmo in the push button that activatres
the power switch get screwed up and the power switch stayes pushed in. I
have repaired this by pulling the front cover and messing with the
push button. Anyways you can tell if that is the problem by pulling the
front cover.

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

Brian Cryer wrote:

> I like Rgr's suggestion. Didn't think of that, and it sounds quite
> reasonable.

Puleaze. Nobody has ever accused me of that before.

pcbuilder98

"Deubug" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Hi, when I apply mains power to the PC, before pushing the power
> button, all the drive LEDs and the power LED light up, all the fans
> start and I think the DVD drive spins.
> After 4 secs everything dies except for the HD LED which remains
> lit.The PC stays like this until unplugged from the mains. Only the
> power cord is connected to the PC and this direct to the wall socket.
> Sometimes when power is applied only the HD LED lights.
>
> Am I looking at a dying PSU?

Do you have a multimeter? Would you feel comfortable opening the case,
unplugging all connections to the power supply and checking the PS voltages?
--
pcbuilder98

Brian Cryer

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Brian Cryer wrote:
>
>> I like Rgr's suggestion. Didn't think of that, and it sounds quite
>> reasonable.

> Puleaze. Nobody has ever accused me of that before.

Sorry, I don't understand your comment. I was saying that your suggestion
was a good one.

pcbuilder98

"Brian Cryer" <brian.cryer@127.0.0.1.ntlworld.com> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Rgr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Brian Cryer wrote:
> >
> >> I like Rgr's suggestion. Didn't think of that, and it sounds quite
> >> reasonable.

> > Puleaze. Nobody has ever accused me of that before.

> Sorry, I don't understand your comment. I was saying that your suggestion
> was a good one.

IMO he was thanking you for your kind comment. Ducking back into my hole
now.
--
pcbuilder98

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

Brian Cryer wrote:
> "Rgr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Brian Cryer wrote:
>>
>>> I like Rgr's suggestion. Didn't think of that, and it sounds quite
>>> reasonable.

>> Puleaze. Nobody has ever accused me of that before.

> Sorry, I don't understand your comment. I was saying that your suggestion
> was a good one.

PCB was right in a way. I was being sarcastic, as I frequently do. I
understand your comment was positive, but I'm trying to stay in
character here and protest you complimenting me.

Brian Cryer

news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Brian Cryer wrote:
>> "Rgr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Puleaze. Nobody has ever accused me of that before.

>> Sorry, I don't understand your comment. I was saying that your suggestion
>> was a good one.

> PCB was right in a way. I was being sarcastic, as I frequently do. I
> understand your comment was positive, but I'm trying to stay in character
> here and protest you complimenting me.

I understand. Your protest is noted (grin).
--
Brian Cryer
www.cryer.co.uk/brian