Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > OT: Free is good (VMWare)

OT: Free is good (VMWare)

Neil

for those of you who frequest this corner of the universe, you have
likely heard mention at one point or another of Virtual Machines and how
they can benefit your study. The 2 main producers of these products are
Microsoft (through the purchase of Connectix) and VMWare. The products
from MS are less costly than the VMWare equivalents, but VMWare has been
doing this longer and in some cases have a better product.

VMWare today announced that they will give away the latest version of
VMWare GSX (now called VMWare Server). This would be a great solution to
anyone thinking of setting up a home lab. You will hoever need a host
computer with lots of horsepower, but here is the link for the details:

http://www.vmware.com/news/releases/server_beta.html

PS, if this sounds like spam, I am not affiliated with VMWare or any of
thier subsidiaries, I like the MS products just fine thanks, and if
you've been here for any length of time you should know me better.

--
The InterNeil MCNGP#30

- I can tell you are lying. Your lips are moving.

Robert Williams

> PS, if this sounds like spam, I am not affiliated with VMWare or any of
> thier subsidiaries, I like the MS products just fine thanks, and if
> you've been here for any length of time you should know me better.

Come on Neil, we *all* know you've been paid to spam for their product.

Mike T.

"Neil" <guess!!!@gmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:Xns9762802BB91F3neilmcsegmailcom@207.46.248.1 6...
> for those of you who frequest this corner of the universe, you have
> likely heard mention at one point or another of Virtual Machines and how
> they can benefit your study. The 2 main producers of these products are
> Microsoft (through the purchase of Connectix) and VMWare. The products
> from MS are less costly than the VMWare equivalents, but VMWare has been
> doing this longer and in some cases have a better product.
>
> VMWare today announced that they will give away the latest version of
> VMWare GSX (now called VMWare Server). This would be a great solution to
> anyone thinking of setting up a home lab. You will hoever need a host
> computer with lots of horsepower, but here is the link for the details:
>
> http://www.vmware.com/news/releases/server_beta.html
>
> PS, if this sounds like spam, I am not affiliated with VMWare or any of
> thier subsidiaries, I like the MS products just fine thanks, and if
> you've been here for any length of time you should know me better.

This is GREAT news. I haven't used the MS product, but I HAVE used VMWare,
and have been quite pleased with it.

--
Mike T.
MCNGP #XLI

kpg

Robert Williams <(E-Mail Removed) om>
said something like

> Come on Neil, we *all* know you've been paid to spam for their
> product.

No. Neil is a straight shooter. He's doing it becuase he thinks
(knows) it will help MCSE wannabees, and it's just a great deal.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm sure Neil would spam for the right price.

kpg

PS - thanks for the info.

Neil

did you hear kpg <kenatweekendcomputerdotcom> say in

> No. Neil is a straight shooter. He's doing it becuase he thinks
> (knows) it will help MCSE wannabees, and it's just a great deal.

This is exactly the thing. This will help Joe Average to _LEARN_ the
product. much better than offering some a$$Fsckin braindump. This is
actually a great way to learn the products and using this tool could be
helpful in the real world as well as many business consider teh benefits
of vitualization.

> Now, don't get me wrong, I'm sure Neil would spam for the right price.

4 cups of coffee and $20 is usually a good start.

--
The InterNeil MCNGP#30

- One rm -rf / can ruin your whole day.

Robert Williams

news:Xns976284FB3303Aneilmcsegmailcom@207.46.248.1 6...
> did you hear kpg <kenatweekendcomputerdotcom> say in
>
> > No. Neil is a straight shooter. He's doing it becuase he thinks
> > (knows) it will help MCSE wannabees, and it's just a great deal.

> This is exactly the thing. This will help Joe Average to _LEARN_ the
> product. much better than offering some a$$Fsckin braindump. This is
> actually a great way to learn the products and using this tool could be
> helpful in the real world as well as many business consider teh benefits
> of vitualization.

Because it's *you* Neil, I'm definitely going to check it out.

> > Now, don't get me wrong, I'm sure Neil would spam for the right price.

> 4 cups of coffee and $20 is usually a good start.

Damnit, and we've only got 3 cups left.

Robert Moir

Neil wrote:
> for those of you who frequest this corner of the universe, you have
> likely heard mention at one point or another of Virtual Machines and
> how they can benefit your study. The 2 main producers of these
> products are Microsoft (through the purchase of Connectix) and
> VMWare. The products from MS are less costly than the VMWare
> equivalents, but VMWare has been doing this longer and in some cases
> have a better product.

Virtual Machines were made for coursework labs, thats for sure.

> VMWare today announced that they will give away the latest version of
> VMWare GSX (now called VMWare Server). This would be a great solution
> to anyone thinking of setting up a home lab. You will hoever need a
> host computer with lots of horsepower, but here is the link for the
> details:

Can't compete with that price! Its actually a really good product too, I'm
surprised they did that.

Rob Moir, MS MVP
Blog Site - http://www.robertmoir.com
Virtual PC 2004 FAQ - http://www.robertmoir.co.uk/win/VirtualPC2004FAQ.html
I'm always surprised at "professionals" who STILL have to be asked "Have you
checked (event viewer / syslog)".

JaR

plaintive wail of Neil:

> VMWare today announced that they will give away the latest version of
> VMWare GSX (now called VMWare Server).

I do note that if you want to use it on a 'doze host, it has to be 2K or
2K3 server. won't run on 2K or XP. Most folks studying won't have access to
a server. Looks like it will install on nearly any Linux distro though. If
you don't have a server license or don't want to keep re-installing every
180 days you can load Linux on a box, then install VMWare and any windows
versions on top of it.

--
JaR
MCNGP 10110

Kline Sphere

>Come on Neil, we *all* know you've been paid to spam for their product.

people who spam make me sick.

Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

Tell your friends about our tasty 1/2 pounder over at Bob's diner.

Wanna up trade that old dodge of yours? Well mosey on over to Ted
O'Shays Autos.

Need a lawyer quick? Call 08887-FAST-LAWYERS.

Need to lose weight but dieting don't work? Then you need Nancy's low
carb vitamin pills just $9.99 for 50!

Mike T.

schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> news:Xns976284FB3303Aneilmcsegmailcom@207.46.248.1 6...
>> did you hear kpg <kenatweekendcomputerdotcom> say in
>>
>> > No. Neil is a straight shooter. He's doing it becuase he thinks
>> > (knows) it will help MCSE wannabees, and it's just a great deal.

>> This is exactly the thing. This will help Joe Average to _LEARN_ the
>> product. much better than offering some a$$Fsckin braindump. This is
>> actually a great way to learn the products and using this tool could be
>> helpful in the real world as well as many business consider teh benefits
>> of vitualization.
>>

> Because it's *you* Neil, I'm definitely going to check it out.
>

>> > Now, don't get me wrong, I'm sure Neil would spam for the right price.

>> 4 cups of coffee and $20 is usually a good start.
>>

> Damnit, and we've only got 3 cups left.

I bid $8 and a candy bar.

--
Mike T.