Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Re: Wirless XP Pro "My network Places"

Re: Wirless XP Pro "My network Places"

Howard Huntley

I can ping the other computers in the work group. I tried changing the
setting to the NetBios over TCP/IP and still no computers in My
Network Places. I am running a pier to pier network. All works fine
using a cable connection, I can see servers and desktops in "My
NetWork Places".

When I go to my desktop systems on the network I can see the wireless
laptop in My Network Places but I can not connect to or transfer files
to it. I am using a linksys WRT54g router. I get a permissions error
from the laptop or the desktop connection, On the laptop using a DOS
window using net view I get a 6118 error. I have gone inside the
registry and changed dhcpnodetype from 4 to 1 and still no effect.
Still no servers in MNPlaces on the laptop.

Gary Fose [MSFT]

Howard,

1. Verify that the administrative shares are active. To examine the shares, use the net share
command. To do this, follow these steps

a. Click "Start", click "Run", type "cmd" (without the quotation marks), and then press ENTER.
b. At the command prompt, type "net share" (without the quotation marks), and then press
ENTER.
c. Look for the Admin$, C$, and IPC$ administrative shares in the list of shares.

If the administrative shares are not listed, the computer may be running a malicious program
that removes the shares during startup.

2. Workgroup names are case sensative. Make sure the workgroup name is EXACTLY the
same on all machines.

3. Make sure ther eare shares on each machine.

4. Makes sure that you can ping each machine. If you cannot ping, make sure firewalls are
turned off, antivirus is disabled and there is good physical connectivity. For the same subnet,
you should be using a switch/hub versus a router.

5. Make sure netbios over tcp/ip is anabled on the NICs.

6. Make sure that the subnets on the NICS are the same.

7. Make sure there are not more than 10 nodes in the workgroup.

HTH,
Gary

--------------------
'--'From: Howard Huntley <(E-Mail Removed)>
'--'Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless
'--'Subject: Re: Wirless XP Pro "My network Places"
'--'Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 13:00:02 -0500
'--'
'--'I can ping the other computers in the work group. I tried changing the
'--'setting to the NetBios over TCP/IP and still no computers in My
'--'Network Places. I am running a pier to pier network. All works fine
'--'using a cable connection, I can see servers and desktops in "My
'--'NetWork Places".
'--'
'--'When I go to my desktop systems on the network I can see the wireless
'--'laptop in My Network Places but I can not connect to or transfer files
'--'to it. I am using a linksys WRT54g router. I get a permissions error
'--'from the laptop or the desktop connection, On the laptop using a DOS
'--'window using net view I get a 6118 error. I have gone inside the
'--'registry and changed dhcpnodetype from 4 to 1 and still no effect.
'--'Still no servers in MNPlaces on the laptop.
'--'

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included
script samples are subject to the terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best
directed to the newsgroup/thread from which they originated.