Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > computer opinions

computer opinions

Paul

HLS wrote:

> news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>> Comments Inline:
>>
>> "Paul" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:fgs9lb$iv1$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>> I just bought a new Compaq which came outfitted with Vista.
>>> I am another person that HATES Vista, and the loss of use of my older
>>> Office software,
>>> printer, scanner, and digital camera. No support under Vista.
>>>
>>> This seems like a conveniently fortunate collusion between Microsoft
>>> and some of the
>>> peripheral manufacturers.
>>>
>>> A consultant told me that I cannot remove Vista and install Windows
>>> 2000 (which I own), and that installation of XP (which I would have
>>> to purchase)
>>> is even in question.

>> RE: " cannot remove Vista and install Windows 2000 "
>>
>> Does the consultant mean
>> 1 That the LICENSE to use it is not valid on the new box ? OR
>> 2. that Windows 2000 would not work on a 3Ghz dual cpu PC with PCI
>> Express bus for video ( since Win2000 doesn't know how to handle it) ?

> Nope, I have the full license and can transfer the old Win 2000 to a
> single new
> computer.. As if anybody really cared anymore..
>
> He was alluding to your point number (2).

The 6150 SE is mentioned here. The difference between it and the
vanilla 6150, is the capability of driving a DVI port with the
built-in graphics.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/mobo_gpu_tech_specs.html

I picked this motherboard, because it is similar to the one in your HP
proposed purchase.

M2NPV-VM for socket AM2 and AMD processors. VGA and DVI connectors.
http://www.asus.com/products4.aspx?m...01&l3=296&l4=0

Now, we go to the download page. Click the "download" link on the left side
of the product page. When the new page appears, click the "drivers" tab.
Notice how Win2K is well covered with drivers. You can also download
display and chipset drivers from the Nvidia site.

Win2K is very similar to WinXP. The only time they differ, is when
you download a game demo for the latest exciting new game, and some
idiot designing the demo, makes WinXP specific calls in their code

I use Win2K, and kinda like it. I don't like it for gaming, though,
because of idiotic exclusions that should not be there.

Paul

Paul

HLS wrote:

> "Paul" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:fgtv1p$bbq$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>> The 6150 SE is mentioned here. The difference between it and the
>> vanilla 6150, is the capability of driving a DVI port with the
>> built-in graphics.
>>
>> http://www.nvidia.com/object/mobo_gpu_tech_specs.html
>>
>> I picked this motherboard, because it is similar to the one in your HP
>> proposed purchase.
>>
>> M2NPV-VM for socket AM2 and AMD processors. VGA and DVI connectors.
>> http://www.asus.com/products4.aspx?m...01&l3=296&l4=0
>>

>> Now, we go to the download page. Click the "download" link on the left
>> side
>> of the product page. When the new page appears, click the "drivers" tab.
>> Notice how Win2K is well covered with drivers. You can also download
>> display and chipset drivers from the Nvidia site.
>>
>> Win2K is very similar to WinXP. The only time they differ, is when
>> you download a game demo for the latest exciting new game, and some
>> idiot designing the demo, makes WinXP specific calls in their code
>>
>> I use Win2K, and kinda like it. I don't like it for gaming, though,
>> because of idiotic exclusions that should not be there.
>>
>> Paul

> Thanks, Paul. This is VERY helpful.
> I am really not a gamer so this should have little to no impact on me.
>
> In fact, I may want to play around a bit with Linux.. I understand that
> it is now
> easy to set up, has file compatibilities with many Microsoft
> applications ( xls, doc,etc),
> and is rock solid.
>
> I really resent being held captive ("tied" in FTC jargon) by Microsoft
> and its cronies.

I've had Ubuntu running for about a week or so. Installed on a new drive.

These Linux distributions use EXT2 or EXT3 (journalled EXT2) as the native
file system. I think they can mount a FAT32 disk read/write. For NTFS (which
is the preferred format for Win2K or WinXP), Linux out-of-the-box mounts
those read-only. That means, when you reboot into Linux, you can "pull" files
across from your Windows disk.

In the opposite direction, I tried a tool called Explore2fs, to "pull" files
from the Linux side. I didn't opt for a more complicated, driver level
addition to my computer, to make the ability more permanent. Explore2fs is
an application, and when you select the "Export" option, that is how a
file gets copied.

The reason Linux does NTFS read-only, is for safety. AFAIK, there isn't a
complete NTFS spec available, so the software developers have to reverse
engineer to get stuff working. There is a package for Linux, that does
support read/write, but for some reason that is not the default (and I'm
quite happy with the rationale of not including it).

So by using a "pull" model for files, I'm able to move a small number of
files between environments. I haven't opted for a smoother setup, because
right now, it isn't needed. Currently, I'm experimenting with MythTV
on the Linux side, and switch back and forth for some things.

The only real pain in the ass, is the system time. I cannot boot back and
forth between the two environments, without the time being screwed up.
Currently, I have to drop down to the BIOS, between OSes, and check that
the "hours" part of the time is correct. It is some kind of timezone problem,
and I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Both environments are set for the
same time zone, so that is not it. It's really annoying.

Paul

HLS

Paul,
I am top posting so the previous posts can be included for reference, if
needed.

We got my old AMD K2-550 mhz computer going again. Turns out, it was
only a defective chip fan that was causing the black screen death. This
machine
runs great with 2000.

I had not considered reboarding the new HP Compaq. Would this board that
you have mentioned be compatible with that ? Would I have to replace the
harddrive
in the Compaq to make this hybrid Compaq an Ubuntu computer only?

"Paul" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:fgtv1p$bbq$(E-Mail Removed)...
> HLS wrote:
>>
>> "- Bobb -" <bobb@noemail.123> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>> Comments Inline:
>>>
>>> "Paul" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:fgs9lb$iv1$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> RE: " cannot remove Vista and install Windows 2000 "
>>>
>>> Does the consultant mean
>>> 1 That the LICENSE to use it is not valid on the new box ? OR
>>> 2. that Windows 2000 would not work on a 3Ghz dual cpu PC with PCI
>>> Express bus for video ( since Win2000 doesn't know how to handle it) ?

>> Nope, I have the full license and can transfer the old Win 2000 to a
>> single new
>> computer.. As if anybody really cared anymore..
>>
>> He was alluding to your point number (2).

> The 6150 SE is mentioned here. The difference between it and the
> vanilla 6150, is the capability of driving a DVI port with the
> built-in graphics.
>
> http://www.nvidia.com/object/mobo_gpu_tech_specs.html
>
> I picked this motherboard, because it is similar to the one in your HP
> proposed purchase.
>
> M2NPV-VM for socket AM2 and AMD processors. VGA and DVI connectors.
> http://www.asus.com/products4.aspx?m...01&l3=296&l4=0
>
> Now, we go to the download page. Click the "download" link on the left
> side
> of the product page. When the new page appears, click the "drivers" tab.
> Notice how Win2K is well covered with drivers. You can also download
> display and chipset drivers from the Nvidia site.
>
> Win2K is very similar to WinXP. The only time they differ, is when
> you download a game demo for the latest exciting new game, and some
> idiot designing the demo, makes WinXP specific calls in their code
>
> I use Win2K, and kinda like it. I don't like it for gaming, though,
> because of idiotic exclusions that should not be there.
>
> Paul

Paul

HLS wrote:
> Paul,
> I am top posting so the previous posts can be included for reference, if
> needed.
>
> We got my old AMD K2-550 mhz computer going again. Turns out, it was
> only a defective chip fan that was causing the black screen death. This
> machine
> runs great with 2000.
>
> I had not considered reboarding the new HP Compaq. Would this board that
> you have mentioned be compatible with that ? Would I have to replace
> the harddrive
> in the Compaq to make this hybrid Compaq an Ubuntu computer only?
>

> "Paul" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:fgtv1p$bbq$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> HLS wrote:
>>>
>>> "- Bobb -" <bobb@noemail.123> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed). ..

>>> Nope, I have the full license and can transfer the old Win 2000 to a
>>> single new
>>> computer.. As if anybody really cared anymore..
>>>
>>> He was alluding to your point number (2).

>> The 6150 SE is mentioned here. The difference between it and the
>> vanilla 6150, is the capability of driving a DVI port with the
>> built-in graphics.
>>
>> http://www.nvidia.com/object/mobo_gpu_tech_specs.html
>>
>> I picked this motherboard, because it is similar to the one in your HP
>> proposed purchase.
>>
>> M2NPV-VM for socket AM2 and AMD processors. VGA and DVI connectors.
>> http://www.asus.com/products4.aspx?m...01&l3=296&l4=0
>>

>> Now, we go to the download page. Click the "download" link on the left
>> side
>> of the product page. When the new page appears, click the "drivers" tab.
>> Notice how Win2K is well covered with drivers. You can also download
>> display and chipset drivers from the Nvidia site.
>>
>> Win2K is very similar to WinXP. The only time they differ, is when
>> you download a game demo for the latest exciting new game, and some
>> idiot designing the demo, makes WinXP specific calls in their code
>>
>> I use Win2K, and kinda like it. I don't like it for gaming, though,
>> because of idiotic exclusions that should not be there.
>>
>> Paul

For Ubuntu, "reboarding" is not necessary. Ubuntu and Knoppix are
examples of "Linux LiveCD" distributions. You download a 700MB
ISO file. Find a machine with a CD burner. Burn the 700MB ISO to
a CD. (The first time I did this, it turned out my old burner
could not handle a CD that size. I actually had to get a new
burner to do the job. My old burner had a limit of 650MB or so,
I think.)

Once you have the CD in hand, you plug it into any computer
you want to try it on. By default, it doesn't install anything
on the hard drive. It boots, and voila, you're running Linux.

The only thing it lacks, when running as a LiveCD, is a place to
permanently store files. The LiveCD concept, uses part of system
memory as a RAM disk. That is where temporary files are being
stored. The CDROM itself, is a compressed read-only file
system, and while the OS is running, it holds the equivalent
of a couple GB of applications, drivers, and files.

To store files permanently, you'd need to use a hard drive
or a USB stick. If a hard drive was formatted FAT32 on one of
its partitions, you could store your files on there. I presume
some FAT format on a USB stick, would also give a home for
some files.

So, to start, the thing is pretty effortless. The fun begins,
when you want to make a permanent install on one of your
hard drives. But if you just want to look at the pretty
desktop, or fire up OpenOffice and see what it looks like,
booting off a Knoppix or Ubuntu CD makes it pretty easy for
a test run.

I mentioned the M2NPV-VM, as a means to show you that you could
find drivers on other companies web sites. Even if HP/Dell/Gateway/Toshiba
won't give you drivers, there are other sources of drivers. It
can be a lot of work to dig them up, but with enough effort
it can be done. You don't need to reboard, unless the board
is really badly designed. (Stuff doesn't work on it.)

Paul

Jeff Strickland

Top Posting or Bottom Posting is easy to deal with. It's when some top post
and others bottom post that I get annoyed.

If some dolt comes along and top posts, follow suit if only to keep the
integrity of the structure intact. I find far more fault with the moron that
insists on observing netiquitte after the netiquitte has been violated.

Sheesh, can't we just get along and do what the other guy did, even if he
did it wrong?

TO THE PERSON I REPLIED TO
I think you are right, but I am in a minority. I agree with your reasoning.
My news reader puts the cursor at the top of the post, and since I am
replying, I've already read the contents so putting my comments at the top
makes perfect sense. But, alas, I am perhaps the last sane person left on
the planet -- well, maybe me and you -- but I have to deal with the other
dolts, so I try to not top post.

Whatever I do, I post in the same manner as those that have gone ahead of me
in any given discussion.

TO THE OTHER PERSON THAT REPLIED TO THE PERSON I REPLIED TO
I think you should have top posted because you replied to a top post. It is
a complete pain in the ass to scroll to the bottom of a post to find your
input, ESPECIALLY since you forced your comments to not align with the rest
of the discussion.

Paul

Jeff Strickland wrote:
> Top Posting or Bottom Posting is easy to deal with. It's when some top
> post and others bottom post that I get annoyed.
>
> If some dolt comes along and top posts, follow suit if only to keep the
> integrity of the structure intact. I find far more fault with the moron
> that insists on observing netiquitte after the netiquitte has been
> violated.
>
> Sheesh, can't we just get along and do what the other guy did, even if
> he did it wrong?
>

> TO THE PERSON I REPLIED TO
> I think you are right, but I am in a minority. I agree with your
> reasoning. My news reader puts the cursor at the top of the post, and
> since I am replying, I've already read the contents so putting my
> comments at the top makes perfect sense. But, alas, I am perhaps the
> last sane person left on the planet -- well, maybe me and you -- but I
> have to deal with the other dolts, so I try to not top post.
>
> Whatever I do, I post in the same manner as those that have gone ahead
> of me in any given discussion.
>
> TO THE OTHER PERSON THAT REPLIED TO THE PERSON I REPLIED TO
> I think you should have top posted because you replied to a top post. It
> is a complete pain in the ass to scroll to the bottom of a post to find
> your input, ESPECIALLY since you forced your comments to not align with
> the rest of the discussion.

Jesus, I didn't even notice
In all the fun, I lost track.
I even forgot to trim the damn thing.
Maybe that is the step I missed before posting.

Paul

Tara Legale

Some people (who top or bottom posting matters THAT much) just need to get
over it and move on, or "build a bridge and get over it". Life's too short
to worry about something so inane as top or bottom posting. (just figure it
out, man).

Baron

Paul wrote:

> For Ubuntu, "reboarding" is not necessary. Ubuntu and Knoppix are
> examples of "Linux LiveCD" distributions. You download a 700MB
> ISO file. Find a machine with a CD burner. Burn the 700MB ISO to
> a CD.
>
> Once you have the CD in hand, you plug it into any computer
> you want to try it on. By default, it doesn't install anything
> on the hard drive. It boots, and voila, you're running Linux.
>
> The only thing it lacks, when running as a LiveCD, is a place to
> permanently store files.

You can, with a bit of carful adjustment, make it store things on the
hard drive. But a proper install would be the way to go.

> The LiveCD concept, uses part of system
> memory as a RAM disk. That is where temporary files are being
> stored. The CDROM itself, is a compressed read-only file
> system, and while the OS is running, it holds the equivalent
> of a couple GB of applications, drivers, and files.
>
> To store files permanently, you'd need to use a hard drive
> or a USB stick. If a hard drive was formatted FAT32 on one of
> its partitions, you could store your files on there. I presume
> some FAT format on a USB stick, would also give a home for
> some files.

Yes a USB stick or drive would be one way.

> So, to start, the thing is pretty effortless. The fun begins,
> when you want to make a permanent install on one of your
> hard drives. But if you just want to look at the pretty
> desktop, or fire up OpenOffice and see what it looks like,
> booting off a Knoppix or Ubuntu CD makes it pretty easy for
> a test run.
>
> I mentioned the M2NPV-VM, as a means to show you that you could
> find drivers on other companies web sites. Even if
> HP/Dell/Gateway/Toshiba won't give you drivers, there are other
> sources of drivers. It can be a lot of work to dig them up, but with
> enough effort it can be done. You don't need to reboard, unless the
> board is really badly designed. (Stuff doesn't work on it.)
>
> Paul

Most systems that will run a live CD will run an installed system.
Although there are some bits of hardware that just won't play nice. In
particular are win modems, USB wireless keys, USB sound cards.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.

HLS

"Tara Legale" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:No72j.21116$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Some people (who top or bottom posting matters THAT much) just need to get
> over it and move on, or "build a bridge and get over it". Life's too
> short to worry about something so inane as top or bottom posting. (just
> figure it out, man).

Thanks, Tara, and I agree fully. This is nitpicking for the most part.