Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Multiple Wireless Routers and Printers

Multiple Wireless Routers and Printers

=?Utf-8?B?UG9wcGEgRWFybA==?=

Here is my situation, if anyone can offer me suggestions or help, it would be
much appreciated. I have a wireless router in the basement I have networked
the Tivo and three upstairs computers and all is well. We inherited a
LaserJet 4000 and would like to use it as a communal printer. The printer has
an ethernet port. We would like to have it off by itself in a supply closet.
I have a spare wireless router. Is it possible to use the second router, with
no cabling, and connect the printer to one of it's ports?

Any suggestions welcomed, and apologies if this is either blatantly
impossible or just a dumb question

Mike G

I would use a wireless print server connected to the router in the basement.
"Poppa Earl" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Here is my situation, if anyone can offer me suggestions or help, it would
> be
> much appreciated. I have a wireless router in the basement I have
> networked
> the Tivo and three upstairs computers and all is well. We inherited a
> LaserJet 4000 and would like to use it as a communal printer. The printer
> has
> an ethernet port. We would like to have it off by itself in a supply
> closet.
> I have a spare wireless router. Is it possible to use the second router,
> with
> no cabling, and connect the printer to one of it's ports?
>
> Any suggestions welcomed, and apologies if this is either blatantly
> impossible or just a dumb question

Doug Sherman [MVP]

It depends on the feature set of the router. If your device supports
ethernet/wireless bridging, you should be able to do this. Eg. for an MS
Base Station see:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/814485/en-us

Doug Sherman
MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP

"Poppa Earl" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Here is my situation, if anyone can offer me suggestions or help, it would

be
> much appreciated. I have a wireless router in the basement I have

networked
> the Tivo and three upstairs computers and all is well. We inherited a
> LaserJet 4000 and would like to use it as a communal printer. The printer

has
> an ethernet port. We would like to have it off by itself in a supply

closet.
> I have a spare wireless router. Is it possible to use the second router,

with
> no cabling, and connect the printer to one of it's ports?
>
> Any suggestions welcomed, and apologies if this is either blatantly
> impossible or just a dumb question

Lem

Poppa Earl wrote:

> Here is my situation, if anyone can offer me suggestions or help, it would be
> much appreciated. I have a wireless router in the basement I have networked
> the Tivo and three upstairs computers and all is well. We inherited a
> LaserJet 4000 and would like to use it as a communal printer. The printer has
> an ethernet port. We would like to have it off by itself in a supply closet.
> I have a spare wireless router. Is it possible to use the second router, with
> no cabling, and connect the printer to one of it's ports?
>
> Any suggestions welcomed, and apologies if this is either blatantly
> impossible or just a dumb question

This should be possible, but it's likely more complicated than you might think.

Because you said the printer has an ethernet port, what you probably have is an
HP4000n. Basically, the HP4000 was available in a couple of different
configurations, and the HP4000n was the "network" version, which came with a "HP
Jetdirect 600N or 610 print server for Ethernet or Token Ring network
environments" already plugged into one of the printer's two "EIO expansion
slots." See http://tinyurl.com/czduu

That HP plug-in print server needs to be configured, and even if you had the CD
that came with the printer, which included the JetAdmin configuration software,
that software has been "obsolesced" (as HP calls it). This page
http://tinyurl.com/4l2sg includes links that may enable you to configure the
print server that you have. Then -- if your spare router supports bridging, as
Doug Sherman points out -- you can connect the JetDirect print server to one of
the bridging router's ports.

Otherwise, I'd take Mike G's advice and buy a wireless print server and ignore
the ethernet port on your printer. You'll need one with a parallel (Centronics)
port -- these printers were pre-USB. And I'd suggest that you get one by the
same manufacturer as the wireless router to which it will connect.

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi

What you need to do is a form of Bridging. Most Wireless Cable/DSL Router
can not Bridge (Of the brand name, Buffalo Tech., and Belkin, have few
802.11g Wireless Router that can Bridge).

This page describes few forms of bridging you might find one that would suit
you best, http://www.ezlan.net/bridging

Jack (MVP-Networking).