Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Seeing other computers on the network

Seeing other computers on the network

Jeremy Lawrence

First of all, thank you to everyone who helped me with my problem regarding
wireless security. With your kind help, I managed this.

OK. Now here's my problem, and I hope that I am providing enough
information.

(1). I have a belken router, which I installed with the various cables
running correctly from desktop to router and phone line to desktop.
Connection to the internet is not a problem
(2) I have a laptop, which when I finally managed to work out that a switch
needs to be turned on, is connecting to the internet through the router
perfectly again.
(3) However, no matter what I do, I cannot seem to configure each computer
so that they "see" each other. I am obviously doing something wrong, but
can't see what.
(4) I have enabled sharing on both the desktop and the laptop. The workgroup
name is the same on both PC's.
(5) I use the laptop at the office with a wired LAN, and have absolutely no
problems seeing the other PC's or sharing an internet connection. It is just
on the wireless setup at home where I have problems.

Many Thanks for all help offered

--
---------------
Jeremy Lawrence

WLW

Hi, Jeremy -

If you are using XP, make sure that the Firewall is configured to allow File
Printing and Sharing under the Exceptions tab. If you are using something
like Norton Internet Security or another personal firewall, make sure that
is configured to allow File Printing and Sharing. Otherwise your computers
are being "protected" from each other.

HTH,
--
WLW

"Jeremy Lawrence" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ds5d9i$lbp$1$(E-Mail Removed)...
> First of all, thank you to everyone who helped me with my problem
> regarding wireless security. With your kind help, I managed this.
>
> OK. Now here's my problem, and I hope that I am providing enough
> information.
>
> (1). I have a belken router, which I installed with the various cables
> running correctly from desktop to router and phone line to desktop.
> Connection to the internet is not a problem
> (2) I have a laptop, which when I finally managed to work out that a
> switch needs to be turned on, is connecting to the internet through the
> router perfectly again.
> (3) However, no matter what I do, I cannot seem to configure each computer
> so that they "see" each other. I am obviously doing something wrong, but
> can't see what.
> (4) I have enabled sharing on both the desktop and the laptop. The
> workgroup name is the same on both PC's.
> (5) I use the laptop at the office with a wired LAN, and have absolutely
> no problems seeing the other PC's or sharing an internet connection. It is
> just on the wireless setup at home where I have problems.
>
> Many Thanks for all help offered
>
> --
> Jeremy Lawrence

=?Utf-8?B?Q2FzdWFsdHk5OTk=?=

Hi Jeremy - I am by no means an expert in computers, but I had the same issue
with my Belkin router too (frustratingly my flatmate could connect with his
laptop no problem!) . Turns out it was an IP address conflict between my PC
and my laptop. I rang Belkin's helpline and they talked me through changing
the settings. They are an Indian call centre (have had some bad experiences
with those!), but once I got through they were really helpful. I hope this
helps a little. Best wishes, Kate.