Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > How to Reduce Security Risks on LAN by Controling wireless Noteboks

How to Reduce Security Risks on LAN by Controling wireless Noteboks

Babak Majidi

Dear Professionals

I'm Administrator of LAN with 6 Servers and 130 clients.
some managers have Notebook Computers. They want to connect to LAN by their
Notebook.
But I'm worry about: They are not professional on using computer well and If
their Notebook become pollute with Trojans,Spywares and Viruses when they
are connecting to Internet from their home, our Internet Bandwidth become
low.
There are Anti Virus software on all Servers and Clients in LAN and I Update
them weekly. But I'm worry about Anti Viruses on Notebooks when they are not
Update.
They want to run applications that connects to SQL Server on LAN and MailBox
on Exchange Server.
Please give me a solution with Security vision.

Best Regards,
B.Majidi

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]

In news:O1Il%(E-Mail Removed),
Babak Majidi <(E-Mail Removed)> typed:
> Dear Professionals
>
> I'm Administrator of LAN with 6 Servers and 130 clients.
> some managers have Notebook Computers. They want to connect to LAN by
> their Notebook.
> But I'm worry about: They are not professional on using computer well
> and If their Notebook become pollute with Trojans,Spywares and
> Viruses when they are connecting to Internet from their home, our
> Internet Bandwidth become low.

Bandwidth? That's certainly not the only cause for concern. Virus
infestation on your network is very likely, if they use VPN. And gawd knows
what else.

> There are Anti Virus software on all Servers and Clients in LAN and I
> Update them weekly. But I'm worry about Anti Viruses on Notebooks
> when they are not Update.
> They want to run applications that connects to SQL Server on LAN and
> MailBox on Exchange Server.
> Please give me a solution with Security vision.
>
> Best Regards,
> B.Majidi

This isn't a wireless issue, really, so you might better post questions like
this in microsoft.public.security or
microsoft.public.windows.server.networking.

Bottom line: don't let any non-trusted/centrally managed/locked down
computers connect directly to the corporate network at all, via LAN, VPN,
wireless LAN. Perhaps you could get a separate terminal server & TS CALs for
these users if this is a real need. In fact, performance for any sort of
file access/SQL would be much better that way, and would be my preferred
config regardless.

For Exchange access alone, if you're using Exchange 2003, you could set them
up to use RPC over HTTPs (they will need Outlook 2003 and WinXP SP1 or SP2)
and this doesn't constitute a real security risk - it uses SSL/port 443 and
doesn't open up anything from their own computers/networks to your
server/network.

Ben

All I can suggest is you make sure all anti-virus software is up to day,
install personal firewalls on all the clients, all updates are installed.
You should have an update server push out all updates as well, so no user
interaction is required. Also you should have an acceptable computer
usage/internet policy, that everyone signs! So they are aware of what they
can and can't do!

To be honest, every LAN administrator worth his salt should already have
this infrastructure in place!

Ben

"Babak Majidi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:O1Il%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Dear Professionals
>
> I'm Administrator of LAN with 6 Servers and 130 clients.
> some managers have Notebook Computers. They want to connect to LAN by
> their Notebook.
> But I'm worry about: They are not professional on using computer well and
> If their Notebook become pollute with Trojans,Spywares and Viruses when
> they are connecting to Internet from their home, our Internet Bandwidth
> become low.
> There are Anti Virus software on all Servers and Clients in LAN and I
> Update them weekly. But I'm worry about Anti Viruses on Notebooks when
> they are not Update.
> They want to run applications that connects to SQL Server on LAN and
> MailBox on Exchange Server.
> Please give me a solution with Security vision.
>
> Best Regards,
> B.Majidi

Babak Majidi

Thanks both of you.