Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > CHDK NEWS: Ported to more Canon P&S Cameras, New CBR Video Compression Options

CHDK NEWS: Ported to more Canon P&S Cameras, New CBR Video Compression Options

KevenGaston

On Wed, 07 Nov 2007 16:50:04 -0800, SMS ???• ? <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>KevenGaston wrote:
>
>> CHDK is already well past the "HOLY F'n WOW!" stage of development. I don't
>> think the camera designers even realized what their cameras could be made to do,
>> nor how many have been waiting so long for something just like this.

>The designers certainly knew, but to include all that capability implies
>supporting all that capability, including software upgrades when bugs
>are found, and of course delaying the product launch until all the
>software is completely written and tested. You can't really blame the
>manufacturer for being reluctant to include all the capabilities on the
>lower end cameras, when so few users would ever use the extra features.

"Lower end cameras"?? They don't even include 1/20th of these capabilities on
their $8,000 to $20,000 cameras. Show me just one DSLR that has built-in
motion-detection in it. Considering the noise this has made on the net (have you
done a Google hit count on the word CHDK lately? 151,100 hits), I'd be hard
pressed to ever use the phrase "so few users" when talking about those
interested in the features of CHDK.

Supporting all that capability? A handful of volunteers (maybe 5 active ones)
put up the Wikia for CHDK with all the information anyone needs to use it.
You're going to tell me that a multi-million dollar company can't even do that
much? And this was all done in less than 6 months by people who didn't even know
what they were doing at first. You could print up the CHDK firmware usage pages
and scripting-guide section in one small pamphlet, smaller than most of Canon's
"Basic User Guides". Upgrades and bugs? It takes the authors just ONE reply from
ONE person about any bug found in any build to have it fixed in all the next
ones to come, and within less than one day from the report to the fix.

ANY camera company could be offering what CHDK can do for all their cameras,
today if they wanted to, with one simple FREE firmware update. But they don't
because they make more money by selling cameras that are crippled, always
keeping the customer wanting more, or having to buy 5 different cameras all with
different features that could have easily been done by one. Then selling one
minor improvement next year as a brand new model to wow the "me first!" idiots
that don't realize they are being taken for fools, DSLR buyers especially.

Get real.

=?UTF-8?B?U01TIOaWr+iSguaWh+KAoiDlpI8=?=

KevenGaston wrote:

> Supporting all that capability? A handful of volunteers (maybe 5 active ones)
> put up the Wikia for CHDK with all the information anyone needs to use it.
> You're going to tell me that a multi-million dollar company can't even do that
> much?

Multi-billion actually. They could do it, but they'd have to charge more
for the cameras because of the increased development and support costs.
And they can't charge more for the cameras because the price they charge
isn't based on the cost of manufacturing and development, but on the
market, which is looking primarily at megapixels, LCD size, and price.

Just be happy that enough buyers still understand the value of an
optical viewfinder, or Canon would have dropped it from every model,
rather than just most models.

KevenGaston

On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 08:31:10 -0800, SMS ???• ? <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>KevenGaston wrote:
>
>> Supporting all that capability? A handful of volunteers (maybe 5 active ones)
>> put up the Wikia for CHDK with all the information anyone needs to use it.
>> You're going to tell me that a multi-million dollar company can't even do that
>> much?

>Multi-billion actually. They could do it, but they'd have to charge more
>for the cameras because of the increased development and support costs.

Yeah, I guess that's why just a small handful of volunteers can do the same
thing for FREE in less than 6 months with no financial incentive nor financial
gain at all. (I don't think I've ever read such a stupid reply before.)

>And they can't charge more for the cameras because the price they charge
>isn't based on the cost of manufacturing and development, but on the
>market, which is looking primarily at megapixels, LCD size, and price.
>
>Just be happy that enough buyers still understand the value of an
>optical viewfinder, or Canon would have dropped it from every model,
>rather than just most models.

Now why would I be happy that people are still limiting themselves to last
century's optical viewfinder system with all its inaccurate framing and exposure
setting problems, as well as poor performance in low-light situations or
whenever you want to use any DOF preview feature with them? Understand the value
of them? They don't have a clue on what they are hindering themselves with.

I've not used an OVF for 10 years now, I don't miss them in the least. I
wouldn't bat an eye if Canon dropped that feature from every last one of their
cameras. In fact it would only encourage them to improve the already more
useful, adaptable, and configurable LCDs and EVFs. In fact I wish they would
quit wasting their time on that last century OVF nonsense that will never get
any better. At least with an EVF I can use one of my cameras to focus and frame
in total darkness by using IR light alone. Totally impossible using any OVF
system.

It's obvious now that you're just trolling or you'd know better than to say
things as stupid as you have so far. Time for you to go find a new thread to
manipulate someone else into replying to you.