Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > File Transfer using 54Mbps Wireless Adaptor/Router

File Transfer using 54Mbps Wireless Adaptor/Router

=?Utf-8?B?UnVwZXJ0?=

Hi - I'm new to Networks so please bear with me...
I've just bought a D-LINK 'Air-Plus G' 54Mbps router and wireless laptop
adaptor. I've set everything up ok and I've been experimenting with file
transfer between my wired desktop and wireless laptop. I transferred a 125MB
folder in 2 mins - and I worked this out as only 8.3Mbps (using
125MBx8/120secs). Can someone tell me if my math is wrong - or whether I'm
right to be concerned.
Thanks, Rupert.

=?Utf-8?B?UnVwZXJ0?=

P.S. Actually having tested transferring this folder a few times it takes
between 2 and 5 mins.

"Rupert" wrote:

> Hi - I'm new to Networks so please bear with me...
> I've just bought a D-LINK 'Air-Plus G' 54Mbps router and wireless laptop
> adaptor. I've set everything up ok and I've been experimenting with file
> transfer between my wired desktop and wireless laptop. I transferred a 125MB
> folder in 2 mins - and I worked this out as only 8.3Mbps (using
> 125MBx8/120secs). Can someone tell me if my math is wrong - or whether I'm
> right to be concerned.
> Thanks, Rupert.

Jeff

The 54mbps is a bidirectional number, think of it like
half duplex. Also your signal will degrade depending on
how close you are to the AP, any walls, any interference...