Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Random losing Wireless Connection

Random losing Wireless Connection

=?Utf-8?B?TW9udHJlYWw=?=

Hi,
My sister has a new Vista laptop and and Trendent router (WEP security
enabled) and she is suffering from random disconnects of the wireless
connection. I know there are many reasons for this but i am wondering of
there is any log that we could look in to start getting some hints as to why
(nd even when) she is losing the connection. She sometimes does not turn on
her PC for several days (travels a lot) and I am wondering if this is
something that contributes to it.
thanks,
Montreal

=?Utf-8?B?bmFzcw==?=

"Montreal" wrote:

> Hi,
> My sister has a new Vista laptop and and Trendent router (WEP security
> enabled) and she is suffering from random disconnects of the wireless
> connection. I know there are many reasons for this but i am wondering of
> there is any log that we could look in to start getting some hints as to why
> (nd even when) she is losing the connection. She sometimes does not turn on
> her PC for several days (travels a lot) and I am wondering if this is
> something that contributes to it.
> thanks,
> Montreal

This could be due to:
1- A Power management settings for the NIC, to know if the Power management
settings correct try this:
Right click " MY Computer" select Properties and then click on Hardware Tab
then click on Device Manager button.
On Device Manager locate this:
[+] Network Adapters, click on the Plus [+] to expand to [-] and locate the
Wireless NIC, then while highlighting the NIC click on the Properties Button.
On the NIC Properties window click on Power management and make sure this
check box is unchecked:
[ ] Let the computer Turn OFF this Device for power saving.

Click [Ok] and out, does it help retain the connection.

2- Best if She/ Both of you change from the Weak WEP encryption method to
the WPA-PSK more secure, also change from the default channel (11 and 6) as
your neighbour may using the same channel to access their wireless which can
interfere with Her connection, making Her losing access.

3- Update the Firmware for the Wireless from the Laptop Manufacturer.

Finally, Open a run command and type in:
ipconfig /flushdns click [OK]
ipconfig /renew click [OK]
netsh winsock reset click [OK]
Reboot your machine, does it help?.

You may receive a "Limited or no connectivity" message
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/892896
HTH.
nass
---