Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > 2 laptop connected via router, how do I set up file sharing?

2 laptop connected via router, how do I set up file sharing?

=?Utf-8?B?UEFS?=

I have successfully connected 2 laptops via a wireless N broadband router.
They are sharing internet, but I need to make one laptop a master and the
other a slave. I have a database which I want the slave to enter data and
the master to be working in the database as well.

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

This Windows sharing how to may help.

How to enable windows sharingHow to enable Windows sharing. One of the
reasons to create a workgroup or domain network is for all computers on the
network to access the network ...
http://www.howtonetworking.com/Netwo...lesharing0.htm

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
http://www.HowToNetworking.com

"PAR" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have successfully connected 2 laptops via a wireless N broadband router.
> They are sharing internet, but I need to make one laptop a master and the
> other a slave. I have a database which I want the slave to enter data and
> the master to be working in the database as well.

=?Utf-8?B?UEFS?=

The two PCs are connected. A folder is set to share, but I get a pop up box
asking for user name and password when I use remote desktop from the slave
computer. Where can I set the user and password on the master?

"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> This Windows sharing how to may help.
>
> How to enable windows sharingHow to enable Windows sharing. One of the
> reasons to create a workgroup or domain network is for all computers on the
> network to access the network ...
> http://www.howtonetworking.com/Netwo...lesharing0.htm
>

> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>

> "PAR" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I have successfully connected 2 laptops via a wireless N broadband router.
> > They are sharing internet, but I need to make one laptop a master and the
> > other a slave. I have a database which I want the slave to enter data and
> > the master to be working in the database as well.

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
In peer to peer Network there is No master and slave, all the computers are
equal.
If you enable sharing on computer A and establish who can access it, all
allowed computer cans access A.
Same apply to any other computer that is configured to Share Files and
Printers.

http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html

allowed to be shared.

Vista File and Printer Sharing-

Basic XP -

Printer Sharing XP -

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120

Jack (MVP-Networking).

"PAR" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have successfully connected 2 laptops via a wireless N broadband router.
> They are sharing internet, but I need to make one laptop a master and the
> other a slave. I have a database which I want the slave to enter data and
> the master to be working in the database as well.

=?Utf-8?B?UEFS?=

I created a user account. When I go to the slave pc and try to connect using
the user account I get computer can't connect to the remote computer

"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> This Windows sharing how to may help.
>
> How to enable windows sharingHow to enable Windows sharing. One of the
> reasons to create a workgroup or domain network is for all computers on the
> network to access the network ...
> http://www.howtonetworking.com/Netwo...lesharing0.htm
>

> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>

> "PAR" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I have successfully connected 2 laptops via a wireless N broadband router.
> > They are sharing internet, but I need to make one laptop a master and the
> > other a slave. I have a database which I want the slave to enter data and
> > the master to be working in the database as well.

=?Utf-8?B?UEFS?=

how do I establish who can access it? I have set this up via parallel port,
but not wirelessly. In parallel port one is host other is guest. That is
what I am trying to establish.

"Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:

> Hi
> In peer to peer Network there is No master and slave, all the computers are
> equal.
> If you enable sharing on computer A and establish who can access it, all
> allowed computer cans access A.
> Same apply to any other computer that is configured to Share Files and
> Printers.

> http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html

> allowed to be shared.
>
> Vista File and Printer Sharing-
>
> Basic XP -
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro...lesharing.mspx
>
> Advanced XP - http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;304040
>
> Printer Sharing XP -

> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357

> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
>
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>

> "PAR" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I have successfully connected 2 laptops via a wireless N broadband router.
> > They are sharing internet, but I need to make one laptop a master and the
> > other a slave. I have a database which I want the slave to enter data and
> > the master to be working in the database as well.

=?Utf-8?B?UEFS?=

Also, I have looked at the attachments, but the tabs I see do not have the
same options.

"Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:

> Hi
> In peer to peer Network there is No master and slave, all the computers are
> equal.
> If you enable sharing on computer A and establish who can access it, all
> allowed computer cans access A.
> Same apply to any other computer that is configured to Share Files and
> Printers.

> http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html

> allowed to be shared.
>
> Vista File and Printer Sharing-
>
> Basic XP -
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro...lesharing.mspx
>
> Advanced XP - http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;304040
>
> Printer Sharing XP -

> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357

> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
>
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>

> "PAR" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I have successfully connected 2 laptops via a wireless N broadband router.
> > They are sharing internet, but I need to make one laptop a master and the
> > other a slave. I have a database which I want the slave to enter data and
> > the master to be working in the database as well.

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Simplly create the same username with the password on both computers. You
should be access it without asking for the password.

Access issues"computername is not accessible. No permission to access the
resources" ... Message: "....is not accessible. You may not have permission
to use this network ...
www.chicagotech.net/accesserrors.htm

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
http://www.HowToNetworking.com

"PAR" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> The two PCs are connected. A folder is set to share, but I get a pop up
> box
> asking for user name and password when I use remote desktop from the slave
> computer. Where can I set the user and password on the master?
>

> "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> This Windows sharing how to may help.
>>
>> How to enable windows sharingHow to enable Windows sharing. One of the
>> reasons to create a workgroup or domain network is for all computers on
>> the
>> network to access the network ...
>> http://www.howtonetworking.com/Netwo...lesharing0.htm
>>

>> --
>> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
>> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
>> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>>

>> "PAR" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> >I have successfully connected 2 laptops via a wireless N broadband
>> >router.
>> > They are sharing internet, but I need to make one laptop a master and
>> > the
>> > other a slave. I have a database which I want the slave to enter data
>> > and
>> > the master to be working in the database as well.

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
The pages in the links that are in my previous post explain how to set
permissions.
Jack (MVP-Networking).