Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > hdd not powering up. It is getting power

hdd not powering up. It is getting power

Brian

Aloha,

I have a standard ide 3.5" hdd in an external enclosure. I've been using it
for many years. Several months ago it was starting to act up (unable to read
some files/folders, the power plug was finicky), and I stopped using it when
I purchased a new laptop with a larger hard drive.

I'd like to get this working if I can, though (It's a rainy day and not much
else to do). The hdd isn't powering up. I've verified that the molex plug in
the enclosure does have the proper voltages, so the enclosure is ok and hard
drive itself is getting the power, but not powering up.

It's an IBM deskstar hard drive. It's from March 2002, so it's pretty old.
Is it just dead and its time to hit with a hammer and throw in the rubbish?
Or anyone have any ideas on how I could play with this and maybe get it
powered up?

The Old Sourdough

On 2007-11-04, in 24hoursupport.helpdesk, Brian waxed eloquently:
> Aloha,
>
> I have a standard ide 3.5" hdd in an external enclosure. I've been using it
> for many years. Several months ago it was starting to act up (unable to read
> some files/folders, the power plug was finicky), and I stopped using it when
> I purchased a new laptop with a larger hard drive.
>
> I'd like to get this working if I can, though (It's a rainy day and not much
> else to do). The hdd isn't powering up. I've verified that the molex plug in
> the enclosure does have the proper voltages, so the enclosure is ok and hard
> drive itself is getting the power, but not powering up.
>
> It's an IBM deskstar hard drive. It's from March 2002, so it's pretty old.
> Is it just dead and its time to hit with a hammer and throw in the rubbish?
> Or anyone have any ideas on how I could play with this and maybe get it
> powered up?

It's probably FUBAR. The IBM Deskstars were nicknamed "Deathstars", so that
ought to tell you something.

--
The Old Sourdough
Q: What's the difference between a dead dog in the road and a dead

Brian

Guess the 6 years of use I got out of it was above and beyond, huh

"The Old Sourdough" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 2007-11-04, in 24hoursupport.helpdesk, Brian waxed eloquently:
>> Aloha,
>>
>> I have a standard ide 3.5" hdd in an external enclosure. I've been using
>> it
>> for many years. Several months ago it was starting to act up (unable to
>> read
>> some files/folders, the power plug was finicky), and I stopped using it
>> when
>> I purchased a new laptop with a larger hard drive.
>>
>> I'd like to get this working if I can, though (It's a rainy day and not
>> much
>> else to do). The hdd isn't powering up. I've verified that the molex plug
>> in
>> the enclosure does have the proper voltages, so the enclosure is ok and
>> hard
>> drive itself is getting the power, but not powering up.
>>
>> It's an IBM deskstar hard drive. It's from March 2002, so it's pretty
>> old.
>> Is it just dead and its time to hit with a hammer and throw in the
>> rubbish?
>> Or anyone have any ideas on how I could play with this and maybe get it
>> powered up?
>>

> It's probably FUBAR. The IBM Deskstars were nicknamed "Deathstars", so
> that
> ought to tell you something.
>
> --
> The Old Sourdough
> Q: What's the difference between a dead dog in the road and a dead
> lawyer in the road?
> A: There are skid marks in front of the dog

wisdomkiller & pain

Brian wrote:

> Guess the 6 years of use I got out of it was above and beyond, huh

Sometimes taking the drive out of the enclosure and attaching it to a ide
cable in your pc may help for recovering data, if necessary. Otherwise,
forget about the deathstar. You may have some good paperweights from me as
well, if you dare to pay the postage