Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > True Image can't find hard drive...

True Image can't find hard drive...

Joe

I have tried all I can think of, but Acronis True Image v.11 does not want
to know about my sata drives. I've tried the windows version, the boot cd
version, but the program keeps saying it can't find any hard drives. Very
strange, as it 'did' make a backup of my satas 2 weeks ago onto the Seagate
USB external drive. So, I have a backup of my drive which I now can't
re-install. I've been in contact with Acronis who make the program and both
their 'chat with support' email from their technicians have produced
nothing. The told me to download a patch/update, which I did, but had no
effect on the situation whatsoever.

Hmm.

P.S.
My seagate external drive is an IDE/ATA drive with USB connection.
I use Win XP MCE and my pc is a Dell Dimension 9200 w/ Core2DUO, 2GB Ram,
320 GB hard drive (2 x 160GB Satas).

Any advice more than welcome.

Joe.

kj@nospam.com

"Joe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have tried all I can think of, but Acronis True Image v.11 does not want
>to know about my sata drives. I've tried the windows version, the boot cd
>version, but the program keeps saying it can't find any hard drives. Very
>strange, as it 'did' make a backup of my satas 2 weeks ago onto the Seagate
>USB external drive. So, I have a backup of my drive which I now can't
>re-install. I've been in contact with Acronis who make the program and both
>their 'chat with support' email from their technicians have produced
>nothing. The told me to download a patch/update, which I did, but had no
>effect on the situation whatsoever.
>
>Hmm.
>
>P.S.
>My seagate external drive is an IDE/ATA drive with USB connection.
>I use Win XP MCE and my pc is a Dell Dimension 9200 w/ Core2DUO, 2GB Ram,
>320 GB hard drive (2 x 160GB Satas).
>
>Any advice more than welcome.
>
>Joe.

Hello Joe,

I'd bet the problem lies in the mixed SATA / ATA drives. When Acronis
reboots from the ATA drive (the backup) in the restore process, it can't
see the SATA drives because the ATA drive doesn't require SATA drivers
to be loaded. I would bet the answer lies in forcing some SATA drivers
on to the ATA drive, but I wouldn't know how to go about it offhand. In
the future it would likely eliminate the problem to use SATA all the way
around (which doesn't help you at the moment, I realize). I'd Google

acronis +"ATA to SATA"

and adjust the search string as needed to get helpful hits. One thing
I've learned is that whatever you go through, someone has gone through
it before you and found a way out. Sometimes it's just a little
harder to find those people that have had your particular problem!

Good luck!

Joe

"KJ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello Joe,
>
> I'd bet the problem lies in the mixed SATA / ATA drives. When Acronis
> reboots from the ATA drive (the backup) in the restore process, it can't
> see the SATA drives because the ATA drive doesn't require SATA drivers
> to be loaded. I would bet the answer lies in forcing some SATA drivers
> on to the ATA drive, but I wouldn't know how to go about it offhand. In
> the future it would likely eliminate the problem to use SATA all the way
> around (which doesn't help you at the moment, I realize). I'd Google
>
> acronis +"ATA to SATA"
>
> and adjust the search string as needed to get helpful hits. One thing
> I've learned is that whatever you go through, someone has gone through
> it before you and found a way out. Sometimes it's just a little
> harder to find those people that have had your particular problem!
>
> Good luck!

That sounds very feasable to me, and I'll take your advice and search
google.
Thanks for replying.

Joe.

why?

On Mon, 05 Nov 2007 01:51:10 GMT, Joe wrote:

>"KJ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> Hello Joe,
>>
>> I'd bet the problem lies in the mixed SATA / ATA drives. When Acronis
>> reboots from the ATA drive (the backup) in the restore process, it can't
>> see the SATA drives because the ATA drive doesn't require SATA drivers
>> to be loaded. I would bet the answer lies in forcing some SATA drivers
>> on to the ATA drive, but I wouldn't know how to go about it offhand. In
>> the future it would likely eliminate the problem to use SATA all the way
>> around (which doesn't help you at the moment, I realize). I'd Google
>>
>> acronis +"ATA to SATA"
>>
>> and adjust the search string as needed to get helpful hits. One thing
>> I've learned is that whatever you go through, someone has gone through
>> it before you and found a way out. Sometimes it's just a little
>> harder to find those people that have had your particular problem!
>>
>> Good luck!

>That sounds very feasable to me, and I'll take your advice and search
>google.
>Thanks for replying.

TI10 is th same, Bought a Dell 1501 last year went for the larger HD
hence SATA. Booting TI10 CD in the 2 modes basic and advanced was it?

I can't recall exactly what happened, basic mode saw the external USB
drive but not the SATA disk. Advanced mode saw the SATA disk /
partitions but not the USB external drive.

Now starting to have other issues with TI10, and don't see TI11 being
worth an upgrade.

Me

Joe

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> On Mon, 05 Nov 2007 01:51:10 GMT, Joe wrote:
>

>>"KJ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>> Hello Joe,
>>>
>>> I'd bet the problem lies in the mixed SATA / ATA drives. When Acronis
>>> reboots from the ATA drive (the backup) in the restore process, it can't
>>> see the SATA drives because the ATA drive doesn't require SATA drivers
>>> to be loaded. I would bet the answer lies in forcing some SATA drivers
>>> on to the ATA drive, but I wouldn't know how to go about it offhand. In
>>> the future it would likely eliminate the problem to use SATA all the way
>>> around (which doesn't help you at the moment, I realize). I'd Google
>>>
>>> acronis +"ATA to SATA"
>>>
>>> and adjust the search string as needed to get helpful hits. One thing
>>> I've learned is that whatever you go through, someone has gone through
>>> it before you and found a way out. Sometimes it's just a little
>>> harder to find those people that have had your particular problem!
>>>
>>> Good luck!

>>That sounds very feasable to me, and I'll take your advice and search
>>google.
>>Thanks for replying.

> TI10 is th same, Bought a Dell 1501 last year went for the larger HD
> hence SATA. Booting TI10 CD in the 2 modes basic and advanced was it?
>
> I can't recall exactly what happened, basic mode saw the external USB
> drive but not the SATA disk. Advanced mode saw the SATA disk /
> partitions but not the USB external drive.
>
> Now starting to have other issues with TI10, and don't see TI11 being
> worth an upgrade.
>
> Me

That is very bad news indeed as I have used the program for some years now
and had made some backups hoping to get them onto sata drives. I hope that
Acronis get this one sorted out real soon as I really need this program to
work since I have my previous hard drive image stuck on the external usb
drive...'unusable.

Cheers.
Joe.

why?

On Tue, 06 Nov 2007 00:13:03 GMT, Joe wrote:

>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>>
>> On Mon, 05 Nov 2007 01:51:10 GMT, Joe wrote:
>>

>>>"KJ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>news(E-Mail Removed) ...

<big snip>

>> I can't recall exactly what happened, basic mode saw the external USB
>> drive but not the SATA disk. Advanced mode saw the SATA disk /
>> partitions but not the USB external drive.
>>
>> Now starting to have other issues with TI10, and don't see TI11 being
>> worth an upgrade.
>>
>> Me

>That is very bad news indeed as I have used the program for some years now
>and had made some backups hoping to get them onto sata drives. I hope that
>Acronis get this one sorted out real soon as I really need this program to
>work since I have my previous hard drive image stuck on the external usb
>drive...'unusable.

My plan if I move to a SATA only PC is use the spare ATA card and have a
copy of Win + drivers. The other PC ATA has a SATA card. So something
always lets me get the data.

May try a trial TI11 and see what happens.

Basic gripes with TI were also mentioned in a backup thread not too long
ago.

Task fails on a read error, no log , skip file and continue.

No VSS, in home products.

Locking during backup. Although it was mentioned TI11 is better.

Me

Joe

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> On Tue, 06 Nov 2007 00:13:03 GMT, Joe wrote:
>

>>"why?" <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed). ..

> <big snip>
>
>>> I can't recall exactly what happened, basic mode saw the external USB
>>> drive but not the SATA disk. Advanced mode saw the SATA disk /
>>> partitions but not the USB external drive.
>>>
>>> Now starting to have other issues with TI10, and don't see TI11 being
>>> worth an upgrade.
>>>
>>> Me

>>That is very bad news indeed as I have used the program for some years now
>>and had made some backups hoping to get them onto sata drives. I hope that
>>Acronis get this one sorted out real soon as I really need this program to
>>work since I have my previous hard drive image stuck on the external usb
>>drive...'unusable.

> My plan if I move to a SATA only PC is use the spare ATA card and have a
> copy of Win + drivers. The other PC ATA has a SATA card. So something
> always lets me get the data.
>
> May try a trial TI11 and see what happens.
>
> Basic gripes with TI were also mentioned in a backup thread not too long
> ago.
>
> Task fails on a read error, no log , skip file and continue.
>
> No VSS, in home products.
>
> Locking during backup. Although it was mentioned TI11 is better.
>
> Me

I came across this....

http://www.acronis.com/enterprise/co...trueimage.html

It seems 'all I need to do now' is get myself a copy of the driver/s for the
sata drives in my system.

Anyone know where I might get these from?

Might I be able to install them from a Windows XP repair as suggested in the
link above?

Joe.

P.S.
I have a Dell Dimension 9200 with 2 x 160 GB sata drives as raid0 stripe.

kj@nospam.com

"Joe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I came across this....
>
>http://www.acronis.com/enterprise/co...trueimage.html
>
>It seems 'all I need to do now' is get myself a copy of the driver/s for the
>sata drives in my system.
>
>Anyone know where I might get these from?
>
>Might I be able to install them from a Windows XP repair as suggested in the
>link above?
>
>Joe.
>
>P.S.
>I have a Dell Dimension 9200 with 2 x 160 GB sata drives as raid0 stripe.

I didn't read the link yet but the drivers should be available from
Dell's site by following Support links and entering your system info. If
Dell doesn't supply them the manufacturer will, but you need to know who
makes the drives -- again this should be available through Dell, unless
you would find it easier to just open the machine and take a peek. You
sound pretty adept, but here's the service manual, if needed:

http://support2.jp.dell.com/docs/sys...M_EN/parts.htm

The drive make/manufacturer might also be available through the
CMOS/BIOS screens. It usually lists make and serial number of drives.
I'm sure you know the drill... [hit Del key during boot to access the
BIOS setup].

HTH!

kj@nospam.com

KJ ((E-Mail Removed)) wrote:

>I didn't read the link yet but the drivers should be available from
>Dell's site by following Support links and entering your system info. If
>Dell doesn't supply them the manufacturer will, but you need to know who
>makes the drives -- [...]

Answering my own post, it is the SATA drivers you need (as you stated)
not the hard drive drivers. SATA control is built into the motherboard,
and will likely be Silicon or VIA chips. Again, Dell should make these
available (and they likely included them on media with your system, if
you have any of the original stuff that came with the Dell). You need
the SATA drivers on a floppy (if your system has a floppy drive) or CD.

Joe

"KJ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> KJ ((E-Mail Removed)) wrote:
>

>>I didn't read the link yet but the drivers should be available from
>>Dell's site by following Support links and entering your system info. If
>>Dell doesn't supply them the manufacturer will, but you need to know who
>>makes the drives -- [...]

> Answering my own post, it is the SATA drivers you need (as you stated)
> not the hard drive drivers. SATA control is built into the motherboard,
> and will likely be Silicon or VIA chips. Again, Dell should make these
> available (and they likely included them on media with your system, if
> you have any of the original stuff that came with the Dell). You need
> the SATA drivers on a floppy (if your system has a floppy drive) or CD.

Thanks, you are a mine of info! I'll get to work on that right away.

Joe.