Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Another try, wireless network in XP MCE

Another try, wireless network in XP MCE

=?Utf-8?B?SGF6ZQ==?=

Posted in the MCE section earlier, no replies. Hope someone can help me here.
I´ve just purchased a Belkin N1 router with matching N 1 USB-adapter.
Installed the adapter in my HTPC running XP MCE SP2 as OS. Everything worked
like a charm for about 10 minutes. Then recurring disconnections although the
signalstrength is perfect.
Also tried this adapter on my other stationary PC runnig XP pro SP2 as OS.
No problem.
The belkin support guy tells me that it has to be something wrong with the
PC thats running MCE. And i agree, because as long as the connection is
working i get disturbance when starting the MCE application, perticulary
Live-TV (lagging picture etc). Anyone else having trouble setting up a
wireless network running MCE? Any ideas what to do?

/Haze

Barb Bowman

is the USB port 2.0 or 1.1?
what kind of security are you using?
are the USB hubs in device manager using power management?

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP

Jim

"Haze" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Posted in the MCE section earlier, no replies. Hope someone can help me
> here.
> Ive just purchased a Belkin N1 router with matching N 1 USB-adapter.
> Installed the adapter in my HTPC running XP MCE SP2 as OS. Everything
> worked
> like a charm for about 10 minutes. Then recurring disconnections although
> the
> signalstrength is perfect.
> Also tried this adapter on my other stationary PC runnig XP pro SP2 as OS.
> No problem.
> The belkin support guy tells me that it has to be something wrong with the
> PC thats running MCE. And i agree, because as long as the connection is
> working i get disturbance when starting the MCE application, perticulary
> Live-TV (lagging picture etc). Anyone else having trouble setting up a
> wireless network running MCE? Any ideas what to do?
>
> /Haze

I have had very few problems getting my laptop running MCE to connect and
stay connected. The differences that I see between our two computers are:

1. Mine is using a built in Intel which is setup for G.
2. Youea is using a USB adapter which is setup for N.

Mine works, but yours doesn't. However, a wireless signal is temperamental
to say the least. I suspect that your problem is caused by variations in
signal strength.
By the way, how far is your laptop from your router?

I suppose I should mention that one time a year or so ago, the laptop could
not connect to the router even though both were within the same room.
Eventually, all was well, and there has not been a repeat of the problem.

Jim

=?Utf-8?B?SGF6ZQ==?=

Hi Barb

USB port is 2.0.
What do you mean by security? I´m using WEP as encryption for the network.
Firewall is windows XP:s own. No 3rd part software regarding security.
The USB-hubs is not using power managment.

"Barb Bowman" wrote:

> is the USB port 2.0 or 1.1?
> what kind of security are you using?
> are the USB hubs in device manager using power management?
>
> On Sun, 4 Nov 2007 11:31:00 -0800, Haze
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Posted in the MCE section earlier, no replies. Hope someone can help me here.
> >I´ve just purchased a Belkin N1 router with matching N 1 USB-adapter.
> >Installed the adapter in my HTPC running XP MCE SP2 as OS. Everything worked
> >like a charm for about 10 minutes. Then recurring disconnections although the
> >signalstrength is perfect.
> >Also tried this adapter on my other stationary PC runnig XP pro SP2 as OS.
> >No problem.
> >The belkin support guy tells me that it has to be something wrong with the
> >PC thats running MCE. And i agree, because as long as the connection is
> >working i get disturbance when starting the MCE application, perticulary
> >Live-TV (lagging picture etc). Anyone else having trouble setting up a
> >wireless network running MCE? Any ideas what to do?
> >
> >/Haze

> --
>
> Barb Bowman
> MS Windows-MVP

=?Utf-8?B?SGF6ZQ==?=

Hi Jim. Thanks for quick reply.

First, it´s not a laptop i´m having trouble with but that shouldn´t make a
difference.
Can´t see how N setup should be a problem since i´m using only components
setup for N.
I suspected variations in signalstrength at first but i´ve tried watching
the monitor and signalstrength never drops below 80% until sudden
disconnection. Distance from router aproximately 40 feet, nothing but wooden
walls in the way.

/Haze

"Jim" wrote:

> "Haze" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Posted in the MCE section earlier, no replies. Hope someone can help me
> > here.
> > I´ve just purchased a Belkin N1 router with matching N 1 USB-adapter.
> > Installed the adapter in my HTPC running XP MCE SP2 as OS. Everything
> > worked
> > like a charm for about 10 minutes. Then recurring disconnections although
> > the
> > signalstrength is perfect.
> > Also tried this adapter on my other stationary PC runnig XP pro SP2 as OS.
> > No problem.
> > The belkin support guy tells me that it has to be something wrong with the
> > PC thats running MCE. And i agree, because as long as the connection is
> > working i get disturbance when starting the MCE application, perticulary
> > Live-TV (lagging picture etc). Anyone else having trouble setting up a
> > wireless network running MCE? Any ideas what to do?
> >
> > /Haze

> I have had very few problems getting my laptop running MCE to connect and
> stay connected. The differences that I see between our two computers are:
>
> 1. Mine is using a built in Intel which is setup for G.
> 2. Youea is using a USB adapter which is setup for N.
>
> Mine works, but yours doesn't. However, a wireless signal is temperamental
> to say the least. I suspect that your problem is caused by variations in
> signal strength.
> By the way, how far is your laptop from your router?
>
> I suppose I should mention that one time a year or so ago, the laptop could
> not connect to the router even though both were within the same room.
> Eventually, all was well, and there has not been a repeat of the problem.
>
> Jim

Barb Bowman

WEP is not secure enough. It can be broken easily and in the amount
of time it takes to read this message. You need to switch to WPA2 or
at least WPA.

What else is plugged into other USB ports on the problem computer?

On Mon, 5 Nov 2007 08:33:04 -0800, Haze
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi Barb
>
>USB port is 2.0.
>What do you mean by security? Im using WEP as encryption for the network.
>Firewall is windows XP:s own. No 3rd part software regarding security.
>The USB-hubs is not using power managment.
>
>"Barb Bowman" wrote:
>
>> is the USB port 2.0 or 1.1?
>> what kind of security are you using?
>> are the USB hubs in device manager using power management?
>>
>> On Sun, 4 Nov 2007 11:31:00 -0800, Haze
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> >Posted in the MCE section earlier, no replies. Hope someone can help me here.
>> >Ive just purchased a Belkin N1 router with matching N 1 USB-adapter.
>> >Installed the adapter in my HTPC running XP MCE SP2 as OS. Everything worked
>> >like a charm for about 10 minutes. Then recurring disconnections although the
>> >signalstrength is perfect.
>> >Also tried this adapter on my other stationary PC runnig XP pro SP2 as OS.
>> >No problem.
>> >The belkin support guy tells me that it has to be something wrong with the
>> >PC thats running MCE. And i agree, because as long as the connection is
>> >working i get disturbance when starting the MCE application, perticulary
>> >Live-TV (lagging picture etc). Anyone else having trouble setting up a
>> >wireless network running MCE? Any ideas what to do?
>> >
>> >/Haze

>> --
>>
>> Barb Bowman
>> MS Windows-MVP

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP

=?Utf-8?B?SGF6ZQ==?=

Sorry, my mistake - I am using WPA2 .
Also plugged in to USB-port is the IR-reciever for the wireless keyboard and
remote.
By the way, I´ve noticed another thing that happens just prior to losing
connection. I get a message saying "connected to Haze Wireless Network
(unsecured)" in contrast to the message I normally get when connecting
"connected to Haze Wireless network (secured)" Don´t know if that helps??

"Barb Bowman" wrote:

> WEP is not secure enough. It can be broken easily and in the amount
> of time it takes to read this message. You need to switch to WPA2 or
> at least WPA.
>
> What else is plugged into other USB ports on the problem computer?
>
> On Mon, 5 Nov 2007 08:33:04 -0800, Haze
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Hi Barb
> >
> >USB port is 2.0.
> >What do you mean by security? I´m using WEP as encryption for the network.
> >Firewall is windows XP:s own. No 3rd part software regarding security.
> >The USB-hubs is not using power managment.
> >
> >"Barb Bowman" wrote:
> >
> >> is the USB port 2.0 or 1.1?
> >> what kind of security are you using?
> >> are the USB hubs in device manager using power management?

> >> --
> >>
> >> Barb Bowman
> >> MS Windows-MVP
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...ts/bowman.mspx
> >> http://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/
> >>

> --
>
> Barb Bowman
> MS Windows-MVP

Barb Bowman

did you change the name of the SSID when you set up the router?
sounds like you may not have and there is another wireless network
close by with the same SSID.

On Mon, 5 Nov 2007 09:55:00 -0800, Haze
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Sorry, my mistake - I am using WPA2 .
>Also plugged in to USB-port is the IR-reciever for the wireless keyboard and
>remote.
>By the way, Ive noticed another thing that happens just prior to losing
>connection. I get a message saying "connected to Haze Wireless Network
>(unsecured)" in contrast to the message I normally get when connecting
>"connected to Haze Wireless network (secured)" Dont know if that helps??
>
>"Barb Bowman" wrote:
>
>> WEP is not secure enough. It can be broken easily and in the amount
>> of time it takes to read this message. You need to switch to WPA2 or
>> at least WPA.
>>
>> What else is plugged into other USB ports on the problem computer?
>>
>> On Mon, 5 Nov 2007 08:33:04 -0800, Haze
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> >Hi Barb
>> >
>> >USB port is 2.0.
>> >What do you mean by security? Im using WEP as encryption for the network.
>> >Firewall is windows XP:s own. No 3rd part software regarding security.
>> >The USB-hubs is not using power managment.

>> --
>>
>> Barb Bowman
>> MS Windows-MVP

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP

=?Utf-8?B?SGF6ZQ==?=

I´ve changed the SSID name. Only one other network nearby with a SSID nothing
like mine.

"Barb Bowman" wrote:

> did you change the name of the SSID when you set up the router?
> sounds like you may not have and there is another wireless network
> close by with the same SSID.
>
> On Mon, 5 Nov 2007 09:55:00 -0800, Haze
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Sorry, my mistake - I am using WPA2 .
> >Also plugged in to USB-port is the IR-reciever for the wireless keyboard and
> >remote.
> >By the way, I´ve noticed another thing that happens just prior to losing
> >connection. I get a message saying "connected to Haze Wireless Network
> >(unsecured)" in contrast to the message I normally get when connecting
> >"connected to Haze Wireless network (secured)" Don´t know if that helps??
> >
> >"Barb Bowman" wrote:
> >
> >> WEP is not secure enough. It can be broken easily and in the amount
> >> of time it takes to read this message. You need to switch to WPA2 or
> >> at least WPA.
> >>
> >> What else is plugged into other USB ports on the problem computer?

> >> --
> >>
> >> Barb Bowman
> >> MS Windows-MVP
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...ts/bowman.mspx
> >> http://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/
> >>

> --
>
> Barb Bowman
> MS Windows-MVP

Barb Bowman

can you check the power management on the wireless one more time?

-Go to ControlPanel>System>Hardware>Device Manager. Expand the
network devices category and find your wireless adapter.
Double-click it to get its properties. If there is a power
management tab, click it. Uncheck the box that says "allow Windows
to turn off this device when not in use".

-also, can you please post the text output from

ipconfig /all

run from a cmd prompt?

-how long are the lease times set for on the router for client
computers?

-the only other thing I can suggest is if the computer has both
front and back USB ports, connect the wireless USB to whatever the
IR is not plugged into.

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP