Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > A couple of questions regarding IOS software

A couple of questions regarding IOS software

Andrew Hodgson

Hi,

I have now managed to get some access to the Cisco centre, but only
seem to be able to download LD images, not the general images. That
is, I can't see any for my router (837) in the upgrade planner. I am
currently running. For example, I am now running on 12.4.5A, but am
not sure on the real status (i.e, it it goot practise to use such a
recent image)?

Does anyone know a document which explains the editions of the IOS
software? For example, the differences between standard versions, and
the IP/FW 3DES and IP/FW/PLUS 3DES versions?

Finally, if your router has a portion of memory called webflash: is
this on a separate flash chip, or part of my flash? If part of the
flash, is there any way to remove it and make the flash space larger?

Thanks.
Andrew.

My Email: use <andrew at hodgsonfamily dot org>.

CiscoHeadsetAdapter.com

"Andrew Hodgson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I have now managed to get some access to the Cisco centre, but only
> seem to be able to download LD images, not the general images. That
> is, I can't see any for my router (837) in the upgrade planner. I am
> currently running. For example, I am now running on 12.4.5A, but am
> not sure on the real status (i.e, it it goot practise to use such a
> recent image)?
>
> Does anyone know a document which explains the editions of the IOS
> software? For example, the differences between standard versions, and
> the IP/FW 3DES and IP/FW/PLUS 3DES versions?
>
> Finally, if your router has a portion of memory called webflash: is
> this on a separate flash chip, or part of my flash? If part of the
> flash, is there any way to remove it and make the flash space larger?
>
> Thanks.
> Andrew.
>
> --
> Andrew Hodgson in Bromyard, Herefordshire, UK.
> My Email: use <andrew at hodgsonfamily dot org>.

Andrew,

Downloading LD (Limited Deployment) images is OK. It's the status Cisco
assigns to newest software they publish. "GD" (General Deployment) software
usualy way down from the current (for example, current LD image for 837 is
12.4(5a), and GD images for 837 are not available at all). Here is a link
with a description of different "deployment" status:

http://www.cisco.com/kobayashi/libra...signation.html

Different "editions" of IOS define a functionality included in your
software. For example, if you do not need 3DES VPN, then you need a standard
software. Same thing with a routing protocols, protocols, hardware included,
etc. Another example - "standard" image may include IP only routing with
RIP, EIGRP, and OSPF only, when "plus" or "adwanced" image may include IPX,
AppleTalk, BGP, and ISIS.

When you choose an image, first you should look at the hardware
requirements: flash and memory. Image may just not fit into your router or
have not enough memory to run.

"webflash:" is just a different "partition" in your router's memory. New
software releases separate areas where dofferent parts of the software
resides.

Good luck,

Michael
www.ciscoheadsetadapter.com

Andrew Hodgson

On Sat, 4 Feb 2006 08:03:07 -0500, "CiscoHeadsetAdapter.com"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"webflash:" is just a different "partition" in your router's memory. New
>software releases separate areas where dofferent parts of the software
>resides.

Is there a way of getting rid of webflash I don't need it as I am
not using the old Cisco web configurator. I would ultimately like to
install the full SDM in there so I can see what I am doing with
specific commands I am entering, with this Webflash: gone I have more
space in the flash and can manage it with 9 mb used for the IOS, but
not with the webflash: partition. This partition is empty. I have
tried squeeze webflash: and even erased the flash totally when
updating the IOS.

Thanks for letting me know there were no general releases for the 837;
that explains why I couldn't download any!

Andrew.
My Email: use <andrew at hodgsonfamily dot org>.

Merv

try:

erase webflash

squeeze flash

Andrew Hodgson

On 5 Feb 2006 10:09:11 -0800, "Merv" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>try:
>
>erase webflash
>
>squeeze flash

Still there after doing this.

I also updated the IOS image and tried erase flash also.