Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: What will you be replacing your CRT monitor with?.........

Re: What will you be replacing your CRT monitor with?.........

Annika1980

On Nov 6, 7:40 am, "Kinon O'Cann" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Didn't pay a dime for it. Never have paid for a piece of computer gear.

My kind of guy!
BTW, how exactly does one download computer gear?

Bill Tuthill

Kinon O'Cann <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> With LCD monitors, is it totally necessary to get color calibration
>> hardware, such as the Pantone Huey?

> Yes, but skip the Huey, it's not very good. Get a better and more capable
> unit, like the ColorEyes Pro software with any of the supported
> colorimeters, like the DTP94 unit from Monaco.

That's the combo that was top-rated at Dry Creek Photo.
http://www.drycreekphoto.com/Learn/m...tion_tools.htm

Cost $320. Hopefully rental is available for annual calibration.

Kinon O'Cann

news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> On Nov 6, 7:40 am, "Kinon O'Cann" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Didn't pay a dime for it. Never have paid for a piece of computer gear.

> My kind of guy!
> BTW, how exactly does one download computer gear?

It's so ****ing easy, even a fat-ass bitch brom Baltimore. First, you get
yourself a real cush job in IT Management. Then you sign up to "test" all
the new gear. Then you wheel it to the shipping dock, back up the old SUV,
and load it up. I get boatloads of stuff this way. Including some stellar
LCD monitors whose value has somehow escaped the ho from Baltimo.

More often than not, I can test gear for many months before returning it. In
fact, this Friday I'll start testing a brand new HP 2465, again. The first
time I tested it the results were inconclusive.

Next on the list is finding a way to test some Canon 1 series DSLRs. Workin'
on it.

Kinon O'Cann

"Bill Tuthill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Kinon O'Cann <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>> With LCD monitors, is it totally necessary to get color calibration
>>> hardware, such as the Pantone Huey?

>> Yes, but skip the Huey, it's not very good. Get a better and more capable
>> unit, like the ColorEyes Pro software with any of the supported
>> colorimeters, like the DTP94 unit from Monaco.

> That's the combo that was top-rated at Dry Creek Photo.
> http://www.drycreekphoto.com/Learn/m...tion_tools.htm
>
> Cost $320. Hopefully rental is available for annual calibration.

That's the combo I've got, and it is very nice. I calibrate monthly, so I
bought a unit. Plus, it works nicely under Vista.

I'm taking delivery of an HP 2465 tomorrow, so if you want, check back and
I'll let you know how it looks. I had one once before, but I'm getting
another unit for further evaluation.