Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Can't search website database

Can't search website database

Iain Bishop

I have IE6.0.2900.2180 and can access the internet and browse to any
website, but when I try to search the databases at some websites (eg.
www.domain.com.au or www.drive.com.au ), I get no response.
The websites themselves are fine because my partner can use the websites
databases on her work PC.
I have McAfee virus scan and Zone Alarm Pro, but have disabled both.
Have also tried using FireFox but still have the same problem.

Any ideas what I can try?

Thanks

Mara

On Sun, 4 Nov 2007 10:41:19 +1100, "Iain Bishop" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I have IE6.0.2900.2180 and can access the internet and browse to any
>website, but when I try to search the databases at some websites (eg.
>www.domain.com.au or www.drive.com.au ), I get no response.
>The websites themselves are fine because my partner can use the websites
>databases on her work PC.
>I have McAfee virus scan and Zone Alarm Pro, but have disabled both.
>Have also tried using FireFox but still have the same problem.

With 159 errors and 8 warnings on drive.com.au, plus 3 about:blank frames, and
115 errors, 6 warnings, and 3 about:blank frames on domain.com.au, I'm surprised
*anything* can read it. But it shows fine from here, with Firefox, using
NoScript and other addins.

I do not have Zonealarm or McAfee installed. I do have KIS installed.

--
"... by God I *KNOW* what this network is for, and you can't have it."
-- Russ Allbery, 3/31/98

Mr. Arnold

"Iain Bishop" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:472d072c$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have IE6.0.2900.2180 and can access the internet and browse to any
>website, but when I try to search the databases at some websites (eg.
>www.domain.com.au or www.drive.com.au ), I get no response.
> The websites themselves are fine because my partner can use the websites
> databases on her work PC.
> I have McAfee virus scan and Zone Alarm Pro, but have disabled both.
> Have also tried using FireFox but still have the same problem.
>
> Any ideas what I can try?

If you can access the site with either browser, then the problem is not on
your end. It's a problem with the Web sites and their search features that
may access their databases on their end. You need to make contact with the
Web masters for the sites for a possible solution to your problems. Nothing
on your computer has the ability to execute the code at the Web sites to
search a database.

Iain Bishop

I think it is something to do with my computer as this has been going on now
for 3 weeks, and my partner has always been able to search the websites
database.

Mara also had no problem searching the drive.com.au database today, but I
can't.

"Mr. Arnold" <MR. http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Iain Bishop" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:472d072c$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I have IE6.0.2900.2180 and can access the internet and browse to any
>>website, but when I try to search the databases at some websites (eg.
>>www.domain.com.au or www.drive.com.au ), I get no response.
>> The websites themselves are fine because my partner can use the websites
>> databases on her work PC.
>> I have McAfee virus scan and Zone Alarm Pro, but have disabled both.
>> Have also tried using FireFox but still have the same problem.
>>
>> Any ideas what I can try?

> If you can access the site with either browser, then the problem is not on
> your end. It's a problem with the Web sites and their search features that
> may access their databases on their end. You need to make contact with the
> Web masters for the sites for a possible solution to your problems.
> Nothing on your computer has the ability to execute the code at the Web
> sites to search a database.

pcbutts1

Try this reset tool http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/fixie.zip it might
help.

"Iain Bishop" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:472d3b6f$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I think it is something to do with my computer as this has been going on
>now for 3 weeks, and my partner has always been able to search the websites
>database.
>
> Mara also had no problem searching the drive.com.au database today, but I
> can't.
>
> "Mr. Arnold" <MR. (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "Iain Bishop" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:472d072c$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>I have IE6.0.2900.2180 and can access the internet and browse to any
>>>website, but when I try to search the databases at some websites (eg.
>>>www.domain.com.au or www.drive.com.au ), I get no response.
>>> The websites themselves are fine because my partner can use the websites
>>> databases on her work PC.
>>> I have McAfee virus scan and Zone Alarm Pro, but have disabled both.
>>> Have also tried using FireFox but still have the same problem.
>>>
>>> Any ideas what I can try?

>> If you can access the site with either browser, then the problem is not
>> on your end. It's a problem with the Web sites and their search features
>> that may access their databases on their end. You need to make contact
>> with the Web masters for the sites for a possible solution to your
>> problems. Nothing on your computer has the ability to execute the code at
>> the Web sites to search a database.

Mr. Arnold

"Iain Bishop" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:472d3b6f$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I think it is something to do with my computer as this has been going on
>now for 3 weeks, and my partner has always been able to search the websites
>database.
>
> Mara also had no problem searching the drive.com.au database today, but I
> can't.

I also had no problem searching database on the sites. But once again, where
the search is taking place is at the Web server. The search is not taking
place on your machine. Your machine has nothing to do with it other than, a
browser is being used on the client machine -- your machine.

Your browser and the computer are only in direct communications with the Web
server for a hot minute a very hot minute. The Web server disconnects your
machine from itself almost immediately, does what it has to do, sends the
information back and disconnects again. If there was a real problem between
your computer and the sites, then your machine wouldn't be able to make
contact period with the sites, let alone asking the Web server to do a
search.

You need to make contact with the Web master to see if this is a known issue
with a possible solution to your problem. Otherwise, you may be just
spinning your wheels.