Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > font color not renedered in table

font color not renedered in table

rf

news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> rf wrote:

>> Oh, BTW, do not publish an image to the web that is over half a megabyte.
>> It's a waste of my bandwidth and yes, sometimes I pay $0.25 per megabyte.

> I don't pay per use,

Neither do I usually, except when someone lets loose on google maps and uses
up my 3 gig/month

> but with that kind of huge image, I still move on
> and another site gets my attention and/or money.

Indeed. Even on cable it's easy enough to see the image arriving in slices
and to press the stop/back button. Dial up people have *already* gone
elsewhere

--
Richard.

Blinky the Shark

rf wrote:

> news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
>> rf wrote:

>>> Oh, BTW, do not publish an image to the web that is over half a megabyte.
>>> It's a waste of my bandwidth and yes, sometimes I pay $0.25 per megabyte.

>> I don't pay per use,

> Neither do I usually, except when someone lets loose on google maps and uses
> up my 3 gig/month

I don't do Google Maps.

>> but with that kind of huge image, I still move on
>> and another site gets my attention and/or money.

> Indeed. Even on cable it's easy enough to see the image arriving in slices
> and to press the stop/back button. Dial up people have *already* gone
> elsewhere

Aye.

--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Jukka K. Korpela

Scripsit Bone Ur:

> Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Sat, 03 Nov 2007
> 22:18:15 GMT bbxrider scribed:
>
>> i have this css class
>> .tble1, .tble1 TD, .tble TH
>> {
>> font-family:verdana;
>> font-size:10pt;
>> colorrange;
>> }
>> and invoke it in a table
>>
>> i get the font style and size ok in the td's, but color is always
>> white
>>
>> it needs to be done differently?
>> bob

> Not sure, but I think Verdana only comes in white.

No, it's because tables are white in November.

Hint: if you have no idea of the problem, still less a solution, just shut
up. If you tried to be funny, well, you weren't.

Seriously, in order of preference,
1) Use valid HTML, and check that it's valid.
2) Use CSS by the book, and check that too.
3) Now re-check: you failed item 1, because lack of DOCTYPE triggers Quirks
Mode.
4) Don't use Verdana.
5) Don't use 10pt or any other size in pt units.
6) Don't use nonstandard color names like orange. If you don't know which
color names are standard, don't use color names.
7) Don't use tables just as a layout tool unless you know what you're doing
(and you don't know now).
If problems remain, post a URL and specify the browser(s) you used.
Unless, of course, you just want to waste everyone's time, including yours.

--
Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

Jukka K. Korpela

Scripsit Bone Ur:

> From what I see, the content is within links - which will inherit the
> link color.

There has been a lot of disinformation in the thread (and, someone might
add, the original question called it, e.g. by its failure to supply a URL).
It would be pointless to correct it all, but I'll take a bite on this one,
since it was probably an unintentional mistake, and a common one.

Links never inherit colors, in practice. In theory they could, but in
reality, in any browsing situation where different colors are available at
all, the browser's style sheet sets colors for links. Author and user style
sheets may override such settings, but in any case, links have a color (or
colors, different colors for a link in different states) set for them.

And an element never inherits a property value if it has a value assigned
for that property. People just fail to understand what inheritance means.
This is part of the general failure to understand the "C" in "CSS".

So if some text is within a link, it _gets_ a link color. If a link has an
_inner_ element may inherit the link color (and will, unless some style
sheet sets color for it).

--
Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

bbxrider

thanks for all the help and apologies for wasting your time, i will check
out firebug
i learned a lot about nesting and overriding for the formatting
will have to figure out the formatting for any web pics
i started with jpg, and had read some that png was better for web, that it
had a smaller file size, etc,
my mistake, after saving the orig jpg that was 85k into png, it ballooned to
the .5mg, i never
checked the file size, so that has been changed back to a more reasonable
85k jpg
and now with further checking finding other web pages with jpg's that have
decent resolution, with only
a 20k file size. when i tried saving my 85k jpg to a lower quality/smaller
size, the resulting file size was
down to 49k but the quality was getting pretty bad. so thats another project
bob

"Jonathan N. Little" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:869a6$472d3f57$40cba7c4$(E-Mail Removed)...
> bbxrider wrote:
>> thanks folks i think i tried all the suggestions but still no luck
>> even tried a different dtd from strict to transitional
>> if your still interested the page is:
>> http://www.1614-douglas-road.com/c15.html
>> i tried color=black as well as the #......s
>> i must have some basic 101 problem

> #1 Your TABLE is *not* inside the DIV that you styled with color orange.
>
> #2 You have styled your links <A> as white, which they are per your
> stylesheet:
>
> a {
>
> color: #fff;
>
> font-weight: bold;
>
> text-decoration: none;
>
> }
>

> --
> Take care,
>
> Jonathan
> -------------------
> LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
> http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Bone Ur

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Sun, 04 Nov 2007 07:15:32
GMT Jukka K. Korpela scribed:

> Scripsit Bone Ur:
>
>> From what I see, the content is within links - which will inherit the
>> link color.

> There has been a lot of disinformation in the thread (and, someone
> might add, the original question called it, e.g. by its failure to
> supply a URL). It would be pointless to correct it all, but I'll take
> a bite on this one, since it was probably an unintentional mistake,
> and a common one.
>
> Links never inherit colors, in practice. In theory they could, but in
> reality, in any browsing situation where different colors are
> available at all, the browser's style sheet sets colors for links.
> Author and user style sheets may override such settings, but in any
> case, links have a color (or colors, different colors for a link in
> different states) set for them.
>
> And an element never inherits a property value if it has a value
> assigned for that property. People just fail to understand what
> inheritance means. This is part of the general failure to understand
> the "C" in "CSS".
>
> So if some text is within a link, it _gets_ a link color. If a link
> then the _inner_ element may inherit the link color (and will, unless
> some style sheet sets color for it).

Well, yes, all that is very precise, but I was using the English word
"inherit" to mean "get", not the css-definition "inherit" to mean
"whatever". I can see how it might be confusing to an expert, but I
believed the meaning to be clearer to the OP as I framed it.

--
Bone Ur

When I was a young man I learned that having sex with a woman is fun until
you either get caught or married.

Bone Ur

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Sun, 04 Nov 2007 07:04:28
GMT Jukka K. Korpela scribed:

>> Not sure, but I think Verdana only comes in white.

> No, it's because tables are white in November.
>
> Hint: if you have no idea of the problem, still less a solution, just
> shut up. If you tried to be funny, well, you weren't.

Was too. You're just in a crabby mood.

--
Bone Ur

When I was a young man I learned that having sex with a woman is fun until
you either get caught or married.

Jukka K. Korpela

Scripsit Bone Ur:

> Well, yes, all that is very precise,

And you apparently failed to understand it, since by Usenet conventions,
lack of comprehensive reading is indicated by the use of comprehensive
quotation.

> but I was using the English word
> "inherit" to mean "get",

That was foolish. Check your English dictionary, and you will get (not
inherit) some understanding in this matter.

> not the css-definition "inherit" to mean
> "whatever".

When you use words that are CSS terms in a specifically CSS context, you
should use them in their CSS meanings.

> I can see how it might be confusing to an expert,

No, experts immediately see that _you_ are confused, but the vast majority
will be confused by your incorrect explanation.

> but I
> believed the meaning to be clearer to the OP as I framed it.

If you meant "get", surely "get" would have been clearer than "inherit". The
truth is that you tried to use CSS jargon and failed.

--
Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

Bone Ur

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Sun, 04 Nov 2007 15:11:29
GMT Jukka K. Korpela scribed:

> Scripsit Bone Ur:
>
>> Well, yes, all that is very precise,

> And you apparently failed to understand it, since by Usenet
> conventions, lack of comprehensive reading is indicated by the use of
> comprehensive quotation.

Is there a reference for this "convention" or do you just have an
inherited prejudice for comprehensive quoatation?

>> but I was using the English word
>> "inherit" to mean "get",

> That was foolish. Check your English dictionary, and you will get (not
> inherit) some understanding in this matter.

It may have been imperfect but was hardly foolish in the realistic sense
of the word. Of course, some could make it _seem_ foolish by blathering
unbecomingly in an adult environment.

> When you use words that are CSS terms in a specifically CSS context,
> you should use them in their CSS meanings.

Why? If a word has a paramount English meaning, can not that override a
subordinate, more-specific context? I'll agree that using "inherit" as I
did may have been technically (from a css perspective) awkward, but not
prohibitively so.

>> I can see how it might be confusing to an expert,

> No, experts immediately see that _you_ are confused, but the vast
> majority will be confused by your incorrect explanation.

Well, I'm not confused and my explanation isn't or wasn't incorrect.
However, you make a good case for how easily experts can be confused.

>> but I
>> believed the meaning to be clearer to the OP as I framed it.

> If you meant "get", surely "get" would have been clearer than
> "inherit".

True. Especially to one knowing English as a second language (however
well).

The truth is that you tried to use CSS jargon and failed.

That's patently untrue. The truth is that you fail to understand all the
nuances of the more fundamental language used to convey the information.

--
Bone Ur

When I was a young man I learned that having sex with a woman is fun
until you either get caught or married.

dorayme

In article <cabXi.8499$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"rf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Oh, BTW, do not publish an image to the web that is over half a megabyte.
> It's a waste of my bandwidth and yes, sometimes I pay $0.25 per megabyte.

Good point.

(btw, with Optus, they slow you down when you run over the limit.
On my ADSL plan, they slow it to less than I get if I use my dial
up connection.)

--
dorayme