Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Newbie lost Network Key

Newbie lost Network Key

=?Utf-8?B?a29qYWtzNDM=?=

I did not set up my network. I did enter the Network Key and promply forgot
it.

My computer works fine, however, a guest at my house wanted to connect to my
wireless router. Without that Key, we could not.

Is there a place somewhere on my computer that the Key can be read in the
clear? If so, what are the steps necessary to accomplish?

If not, what can I do to reset the Network Key? Remember, whatever you
write is being written to a moron. (And yes, I promise to write it down this
time!)

This pathetic Newbie thanks you in advance for your patience and guidance.

Sooner Al [MVP]

"kojaks43" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I did not set up my network. I did enter the Network Key and promply
>forgot
> it.
>
> My computer works fine, however, a guest at my house wanted to connect to
> my
> wireless router. Without that Key, we could not.
>
> Is there a place somewhere on my computer that the Key can be read in the
> clear? If so, what are the steps necessary to accomplish?
>
> If not, what can I do to reset the Network Key? Remember, whatever you
> write is being written to a moron. (And yes, I promise to write it down
> this
> time!)
>
> This pathetic Newbie thanks you in advance for your patience and guidance.

Sometimes you can access the wireless key on the router and it will be
displayed in a readable format. Note that does not work with all routers.

The easiest way may be to simply generate a new key and save off that
information on a flash drive both for later use if you forget your key or if
guests come over and you want to let them on your network.

Vista...

http://blogs.msdn.com/wndp/archive/2...F00_part1.aspx

XP...

If your wireless access point/router or clients do not support WCN you can
easily copy-n-paste the network key by opening the flash drive and
navigating to the "\Smrtntky\Wsetting.txt" file and copying the key to the
wireless access point/router or client.

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

mutual benefit of all of us...
rights...
How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

=?Utf-8?B?a29qYWtzNDM=?=

Sooner Al, if I go to Network Connections and click on Wireless Network, then
Properties, it shows Network Key as several bold dots. Is that where you
wanted me to try to find the key?
If yes, then I will have to do the other steps. (with the links you
provided, thanks) I'd prefer just to see the name in the clear, as I know my
level of expertise will stumble over multiple steps. BUT if I have no choice
as the name is just dots, then I have to do it. I just need to make sure I
was looking in the right place for the name in the clear!!

"Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote:

> Sometimes you can access the wireless key on the router and it will be
> displayed in a readable format. Note that does not work with all routers.
>
> The easiest way may be to simply generate a new key and save off that
> information on a flash drive both for later use if you forget your key or if
> guests come over and you want to let them on your network.
>
> Vista...
>
> http://blogs.msdn.com/wndp/archive/2...F00_part1.aspx
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/com...uy/cg0406.mspx
>
> XP...
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/com...uy/cg0604.mspx
>
> If your wireless access point/router or clients do not support WCN you can
> easily copy-n-paste the network key by opening the flash drive and
> navigating to the "\Smrtntky\Wsetting.txt" file and copying the key to the
> wireless access point/router or client.
>
> --
>
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> mutual benefit of all of us...
> rights...
> How to ask a question
> http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

Jim

"kojaks43" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Sooner Al, if I go to Network Connections and click on Wireless Network,
> then
> Properties, it shows Network Key as several bold dots. Is that where you
> wanted me to try to find the key?

No, that is not what he meant (or posted). My router will display the key
in plain text. My laptop does not.
Thus, you must login to the router and find the place where it displays what
the key should be.
Bear in mind that even with the key in plain text, it can be difficult to
get the key to match.
And, some routers change the key from time to time anyway. Thus, it is easy
to get this key wrong.
Jim
> If yes, then I will have to do the other steps. (with the links you
> provided, thanks) I'd prefer just to see the name in the clear, as I know
> my
> level of expertise will stumble over multiple steps. BUT if I have no
> choice
> as the name is just dots, then I have to do it. I just need to make sure
> was looking in the right place for the name in the clear!!
>
> "Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote:
>

>> Sometimes you can access the wireless key on the router and it will be
>> displayed in a readable format. Note that does not work with all routers.
>>
>> The easiest way may be to simply generate a new key and save off that
>> information on a flash drive both for later use if you forget your key or
>> if
>> guests come over and you want to let them on your network.
>>
>> Vista...
>>
>> http://blogs.msdn.com/wndp/archive/2...F00_part1.aspx
>> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/com...uy/cg0406.mspx
>>
>> XP...
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/com...uy/cg0604.mspx
>>
>> If your wireless access point/router or clients do not support WCN you
>> can
>> easily copy-n-paste the network key by opening the flash drive and
>> navigating to the "\Smrtntky\Wsetting.txt" file and copying the key to
>> the
>> wireless access point/router or client.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
>>
>> Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the
>> mutual benefit of all of us...
>> rights...
>> How to ask a question
>> http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
Not sure what the problem is.
It takes less than 2 minutes to put a New pass phrase (key) in the Router.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"kojaks43" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I did not set up my network. I did enter the Network Key and promply
>forgot
> it.
>
> My computer works fine, however, a guest at my house wanted to connect to
> my
> wireless router. Without that Key, we could not.
>
> Is there a place somewhere on my computer that the Key can be read in the
> clear? If so, what are the steps necessary to accomplish?
>
> If not, what can I do to reset the Network Key? Remember, whatever you
> write is being written to a moron. (And yes, I promise to write it down
> this
> time!)
>
> This pathetic Newbie thanks you in advance for your patience and guidance.

=?Utf-8?B?a29qYWtzNDM=?=

Hi, Jack.

Apparently the problem is, I do not know how to find the Router, much less
change the passkey.
The previous reply from Jim indicates I am doing it all wrong.

Could some one please help me by telling me how do I find the Router. I
assume in the Control Panel. But my first guess, per Jim, was wrong. What
is the correct folder/icon I should click to open the Router?

I am sorry I am so ignorant about this, I just do not know how to do this.

"Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:

> Hi
> Not sure what the problem is.
> It takes less than 2 minutes to put a New pass phrase (key) in the Router.
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>
> "kojaks43" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I did not set up my network. I did enter the Network Key and promply
> >forgot
> > it.
> >
> > My computer works fine, however, a guest at my house wanted to connect to
> > my
> > wireless router. Without that Key, we could not.
> >
> > Is there a place somewhere on my computer that the Key can be read in the
> > clear? If so, what are the steps necessary to accomplish?
> >
> > If not, what can I do to reset the Network Key? Remember, whatever you
> > write is being written to a moron. (And yes, I promise to write it down
> > this
> > time!)
> >
> > This pathetic Newbie thanks you in advance for your patience and guidance.

Lem

kojaks43 wrote:
> Hi, Jack.
>
> Apparently the problem is, I do not know how to find the Router, much less
> change the passkey.
> The previous reply from Jim indicates I am doing it all wrong.
>
> Could some one please help me by telling me how do I find the Router. I
> assume in the Control Panel. But my first guess, per Jim, was wrong. What
> is the correct folder/icon I should click to open the Router?
>
> I am sorry I am so ignorant about this, I just do not know how to do this.

> "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:
>
>> Hi
>> Not sure what the problem is.
>> It takes less than 2 minutes to put a New pass phrase (key) in the Router.
>> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>>
>> "kojaks43" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> I did not set up my network. I did enter the Network Key and promply
>>> forgot
>>> it.
>>>
>>> My computer works fine, however, a guest at my house wanted to connect to
>>> my
>>> wireless router. Without that Key, we could not.
>>>
>>> Is there a place somewhere on my computer that the Key can be read in the
>>> clear? If so, what are the steps necessary to accomplish?
>>>
>>> If not, what can I do to reset the Network Key? Remember, whatever you
>>> write is being written to a moron. (And yes, I promise to write it down
>>> this
>>> time!)
>>>
>>> This pathetic Newbie thanks you in advance for your patience and guidance.

with one or more antennas that is connected either directly to your DSL
or cable wall connection or to a cable/DSL modem). You access the
configuration utility of such devices (which is where you *may* find
your passphrase "in clear") by opening a web browser and entering the IP
address of your router.

How do you find the IP address of the router? By opening a Command
Prompt window (Start > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt) and
typing "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) and press Enter. In the
information that follows, look for a line like this:

In your browser's address window, enter the number exactly as shown and
click "Go" or press Enter.

If you can't figure out what to do next, find out what kind of router
you have and post back with its make and model.

--
Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking

To the moon and back with 4KB of RAM and 72KB of ROM.

=?Utf-8?B?a29qYWtzNDM=?=

Thanks, Lem.
I did as requested and got the"Default Gateway" that brought me to my ISP.
That dd not seem to be right. So, I looked at the back of the Router. It said
Netgear Range Max WPN824. AND it had http://192.168.1.1.
When I went to that address it asked for a Username and Password. Nothing I
entered worked.

Not sure what the next step is.

"Lem" wrote:

> kojaks43 wrote:
> > Hi, Jack.
> >
> > Apparently the problem is, I do not know how to find the Router, much less
> > change the passkey.
> > The previous reply from Jim indicates I am doing it all wrong.
> >
> > Could some one please help me by telling me how do I find the Router. I
> > assume in the Control Panel. But my first guess, per Jim, was wrong. What
> > is the correct folder/icon I should click to open the Router?
> >
> > I am sorry I am so ignorant about this, I just do not know how to do this.

> > "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:
> >
> >> Hi
> >> Not sure what the problem is.
> >> It takes less than 2 minutes to put a New pass phrase (key) in the Router.
> >> Jack (MVP-Networking).
> >>
> >> "kojaks43" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> with one or more antennas that is connected either directly to your DSL
> or cable wall connection or to a cable/DSL modem). You access the
> configuration utility of such devices (which is where you *may* find
> your passphrase "in clear") by opening a web browser and entering the IP
> address of your router.
>
> How do you find the IP address of the router? By opening a Command
> Prompt window (Start > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt) and
> typing "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) and press Enter. In the
> information that follows, look for a line like this:

> In your browser's address window, enter the number exactly as shown and
> click "Go" or press Enter.
>
> If you can't figure out what to do next, find out what kind of router
> you have and post back with its make and model.
>
> --
> Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking
>
> To the moon and back with 4KB of RAM and 72KB of ROM.

Lorenzo Sandini

kojaks43 wrote:
> Thanks, Lem.
> I did as requested and got the"Default Gateway" that brought me to my ISP.
> That dd not seem to be right. So, I looked at the back of the Router. It said
> Netgear Range Max WPN824. AND it had http://192.168.1.1.
> When I went to that address it asked for a Username and Password. Nothing I
> entered worked.
>
> Not sure what the next step is.

<SNIP>

Didi you try to enter the setup utility using the username "admin" and
the password is usually "password" or "1234"?

See if that helps...
http://www.netgear.com/Products/Rout...ys/WPN824.aspx

and:

http://kbserver.netgear.com/products/WPN824v1.asp
http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/N100651.asp

Reset the router to factory defaults, so you can enter its setup utility
using the username "admin" and the password is usually "password" or "1234".

You will need to setup the internet connection and the wireless part
again, but this time you'll know what your passwords are.

Be sure sure you have all the documentation provided by your ISP and the
router's manual before you do that, and be ready to call for help.

HTH
Lorenzo