Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Simulating columns?

Simulating columns?

Ciaran

Hi,
I have a very long dynamically generated bulleted list and I'd like to
make it display in columns rather than down the left and side of the
page. I know columns aren't available till CSS 3 but I was wondering
if there's some current cross browser trick or hack that might work
for me?

Cheers
Ciarán

Bone Ur

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Sat, 03 Nov 2007 12:17:43 GMT
Ciaran scribed:

> Hi,
> I have a very long dynamically generated bulleted list and I'd like to
> make it display in columns rather than down the left and side of the
> page. I know columns aren't available till CSS 3 but I was wondering
> if there's some current cross browser trick or hack that might work
> for me?

I'd like my money to be in large gold coins rather than paper, and more
numerously extant. Got any tricks for that?

--
Bone Ur
Cavemen have formidable pheromones.

dorayme

In article
<(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
Ciaran <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Hi,
> I have a very long dynamically generated bulleted list and I'd like to
> make it display in columns rather than down the left and side of the
> page. I know columns aren't available till CSS 3 but I was wondering
> if there's some current cross browser trick or hack that might work
> for me?
>
> Cheers
> Ciarán

If you are asking whether you can make stuff from the bottom of
one col wrap to the to the top of the next col on the right,
forget about it, there is more support for a hen tooth supply
shop.

How long is the list likely to be at its longest? What is the
practical reality here?

--
dorayme

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Ciaran <(E-Mail Removed)>
writing in news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com:

> Hi,
> I have a very long dynamically generated bulleted list and I'd like to
> make it display in columns rather than down the left and side of the
> page. I know columns aren't available till CSS 3 but I was wondering
> if there's some current cross browser trick or hack that might work
> for me?
>
> Cheers
> Ciarán

Server side - get the total items and divide by two. Then loop through and
when you reach that amount, end the list and start another. Float the ul
element.

--
Adrienne Boswell at Home
Arbpen Web Site Design Services

dorayme

In article <Xns99DDA01D8AFBFarbpenyahoocom@69.28.186.121>,
Adrienne Boswell <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Ciaran <(E-Mail Removed)>
> writing in news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com:
>
> > Hi,
> > I have a very long dynamically generated bulleted list and I'd like to
> > make it display in columns rather than down the left and side of the
> > page. I know columns aren't available till CSS 3 but I was wondering
> > if there's some current cross browser trick or hack that might work
> > for me?
> >
> > Cheers
> > Ciarán
> >

> Server side - get the total items and divide by two. Then loop through and
> when you reach that amount, end the list and start another. Float the ul
> element.

When you reach what amount?

--
dorayme

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed dorayme
<(E-Mail Removed)> writing in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> In article <Xns99DDA01D8AFBFarbpenyahoocom@69.28.186.121>,
> Adrienne Boswell <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Ciaran <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> writing in
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com:
>>
>> > Hi,
>> > I have a very long dynamically generated bulleted list and I'd like
>> > to make it display in columns rather than down the left and side of
>> > the page. I know columns aren't available till CSS 3 but I was
>> > wondering if there's some current cross browser trick or hack that
>> > might work for me?
>> >
>> > Cheers
>> > Ciarán
>> >

>> Server side - get the total items and divide by two. Then loop
>> through and when you reach that amount, end the list and start
>> another. Float the ul element.

> When you reach what amount?

For example, say there are 20 items in a table. Run the query, get the
recordset, and the count of items in the recordset. Put the recordset
into an array. Close the record set.

total_items = 20
breaknow = total_items/2

loop though the array until you reach breaknow then end the list and
start another. If the total is not an even number, then the last list
will have one extra item.

--

In article <Xns99DDA8FA22316arbpenyahoocom@69.28.186.121>,
Adrienne Boswell <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Gazing into my crystal ball I observed dorayme
> <(E-Mail Removed)> writing in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > In article <Xns99DDA01D8AFBFarbpenyahoocom@69.28.186.121>,
> > Adrienne Boswell <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> >> Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Ciaran <(E-Mail Removed)>
> >> writing in
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com:

> >> Server side - get the total items and divide by two. Then loop
> >> through and when you reach that amount, end the list and start
> >> another. Float the ul element.

> > When you reach what amount?
> >

> For example, say there are 20 items in a table. Run the query, get the
> recordset, and the count of items in the recordset. Put the recordset
> into an array. Close the record set.
>
> total_items = 20
> breaknow = total_items/2
>
> loop though the array until you reach breaknow then end the list and
> start another. If the total is not an even number, then the last list
> will have one extra item.

Suppose there 400 items. Are you proposing a script that is alive
to the browsers window size or just to split lists into groups of
10?

--
dorayme

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed dorayme
<(E-Mail Removed)> writing in news:doraymeRidThis-

> In article <Xns99DDA8FA22316arbpenyahoocom@69.28.186.121>,
> Adrienne Boswell <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Gazing into my crystal ball I observed dorayme
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> writing in
>> news:(E-Mail Removed):

<(E-Mail Removed)>

like

of

that

>> > When you reach what amount?
>> >

>> For example, say there are 20 items in a table. Run the query, get

the
>> recordset, and the count of items in the recordset. Put the

recordset
>> into an array. Close the record set.
>>
>> total_items = 20
>> breaknow = total_items/2
>>
>> loop though the array until you reach breaknow then end the list and
>> start another. If the total is not an even number, then the last

list
>> will have one extra item.

> Suppose there 400 items. Are you proposing a script that is alive
> to the browsers window size or just to split lists into groups of
> 10?

Personally, I would never put 400 items on a single page (even looping
through an array, and certainly not an open recordset), that's what
paging and good database design are about. The above is only an example
to show what _could_ be done with a dynamically generated list. If you
wanted, you could change the divisor based on the total records, eg. <20
=1, >20 and <60 = 2, >60 and <81 = 3, etc.

--

In article <Xns99DDB5B2C4F8Carbpenyahoocom@69.28.186.121>,
Adrienne Boswell <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Gazing into my crystal ball I observed dorayme
> >>
> >> loop though the array until you reach breaknow then end the list and
> >> start another. If the total is not an even number, then the last

> list
> >> will have one extra item.

> > Suppose there 400 items. Are you proposing a script that is alive
> > to the browsers window size or just to split lists into groups of
> > 10?
> >

> Personally, I would never put 400 items on a single page (even looping
> through an array, and certainly not an open recordset), that's what
> paging and good database design are about.

I have a web page of all the postcodes in Australia. The html
page has more than 17000 lines. I find it very convenient on one
page! For one thing, one does not even need a menu. Searching the
page is dead simple (command F and type first letters of town), I
love it for its artlessness <g>. Yes, an internal menu that was
fixed might also be nice to get to the different states but
anyway... I mention not as a pure aside. If you accept that
sometimes it is convenient to have a lot of stuff on a page,
there is the question of a fluid design that will get as much of
it as will fit on the screen and be convenient to read.

Correct me if I am wrong, your suggestion is to grab the items in
the list and divide them up into fixed-beforehand numbers of
items per ul. And float the ul's. Indeed, this would be fluid and
convenient if the lists were roughly the same length (the number
of items in a list cannot guarantee this, and I don't think
server side is good at semantics. I suppose there could be a
check on list size length built in and so on).

I was interested in this, Adrienne, because I did (but by hand) a
slightly similar thing for a page a while back which was broken
into blocks that floated and was not too bad in using up the
available space, there would be "wrapping" according to view port
width. I carefully arranged the floats based on length so they
would not snag in an ugly way when wrapped (by having the lists
go in size order, smallest first.

--
dorayme

Jonathan N. Little

dorayme wrote:
> In article <Xns99DDA01D8AFBFarbpenyahoocom@69.28.186.121>,
> Adrienne Boswell <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Ciaran <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> writing in news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>> I have a very long dynamically generated bulleted list and I'd like to
>>> make it display in columns rather than down the left and side of the
>>> page. I know columns aren't available till CSS 3 but I was wondering
>>> if there's some current cross browser trick or hack that might work
>>> for me?
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>> Ciarán
>>>

>> Server side - get the total items and divide by two. Then loop through and
>> when you reach that amount, end the list and start another. Float the ul
>> element.

> When you reach what amount?

I think dorayme is right here, server-side would have no idea what
available size with respect to the browser. I think it would require
some nasty JavaScript to calculate the available space and reposition
the contents. And of course would also have to hook the onresize to do
the process all over again if the user resizes the browser... yuck!

--
Take care,

Jonathan
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO