Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Simulating columns?

Simulating columns?

Ciaran

On Nov 4, 5:32 pm, "Jonathan N. Little" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Bone Ur wrote:
> > Hehe, I had to go back and re-read the original post because I forgot the
> > stated goal.

> > The OP doesn't _really_ want columns at all; he wants floating divs of
> > equal width which "columnize" in an aligned manner filling more of the
> > horizontal area of the page. At least that's what I get from the
> > message, and doing it is possible with j/s (except maybe for ie.)
> > Knowing the viewport size beforehand isn't necessary though the floats
> > will have to be widthed (in ems) beforehand with care.

Ideally, real working columns are what I want but any comprimise that
works is of interest.

> You might be right. Hard to say now. Sometimes the OP's "root" questions
> is hard to decipher.
>
> If it is just floating blocks, then work out a value for the width in
> ems of the UL to accommodate the longest LI entry, if you do not want
> line wrapping, and float with margins to taste! Easy...no scripting at
> all required.

I'm intrigued Jonathan, where to the margins come into it? Can you
give me a quick idea of the css? It sounds like it might work well.

Ciarán

dorayme

In article
<(E-Mail Removed). com>,
Ciaran <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Ideally, real working columns are what I want but any comprimise that
> works is of interest.

Which you have ever really properly explained. What are all the
characteristics of "real working columns" in plain English even
if you do not know how to achieve them on a webpage?

--
dorayme

Ciaran

On Nov 5, 1:53 am, dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In article
> <(E-Mail Removed). com>,
>
> Ciaran <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > Ideally, real working columns are what I want but any comprimise that
> > works is of interest.

> Which you have ever really properly explained. What are all the
> characteristics of "real working columns" in plain English even
> if you do not know how to achieve them on a webpage?

Well as I said, any solution that breaks the information into columns
so it can be displayed across the page as well as just down the page
would be good.

I know this is not really a solution until CSS3 but ideally, the text
is displayed in one long list and when it hits the bottom of the page,
it continues at the top in the next column.

Last resort is a redesign with a linked anchor menu

Cheers,
Ciarán

rf

"Ciaran" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

> Well as I said, any solution that breaks the information into columns
> so it can be displayed across the page as well as just down the page
> would be good.

Causing much scrolling up and down?

> I know this is not really a solution until CSS3 but ideally, the text
> is displayed in one long list and when it hits the bottom of the page,

Please define "page". What is a web "page"? How long does it have to be
before we have reached the "bottom" and a new column is required?

> it continues at the top in the next column.

Causing me to scroll all the way back to the top of the "page"?

--
Richard.

dorayme

In article
<(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
Ciaran <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Nov 5, 1:53 am, dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > In article
> > <(E-Mail Removed). com>,
> >
> > Ciaran <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > > Ideally, real working columns are what I want but any comprimise that
> > > works is of interest.

> > Which you have ever really properly explained. What are all the
> > characteristics of "real working columns" in plain English even
> > if you do not know how to achieve them on a webpage?

> Well as I said, any solution that breaks the information into columns
> so it can be displayed across the page as well as just down the page
> would be good.

You see, this is either really easy or very hard depending on
quite what you want and quite how many downsides you are prepared
to buy. If you want very clever and are prepared to go to a lot
of trouble (unless you are already skilful in server side
programming?), study what Adrienne has said about server side.
You still will have to sort out a lot of requirements. If your
lists are in a sort of order, and are of different lengths this
adds to the complexity.

Consider again the advice I gave you before which does not mean
you should no have columns but rather that you should use the
columns for other purposes than to distribute the lists, you
could include a navigation list in another column. You can give
other information in yet another. I would bet quids on this being
the least trouble for both you and your page customers. There is
nothing they could not understand this way.

I feel I am nagging you now. Good luck anyway.

--
dorayme

Ciaran

On Nov 5, 4:03 am, dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In article
> <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
>

> Ciaran <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > On Nov 5, 1:53 am, dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > > In article
> > > <(E-Mail Removed). com>,

> > > Which you have ever really properly explained. What are all the
> > > characteristics of "real working columns" in plain English even
> > > if you do not know how to achieve them on a webpage?

> > Well as I said, any solution that breaks the information into columns
> > so it can be displayed across the page as well as just down the page
> > would be good.

> You see, this is either really easy or very hard depending on
> quite what you want and quite how many downsides you are prepared
> to buy. If you want very clever and are prepared to go to a lot
> of trouble (unless you are already skilful in server side
> programming?), study what Adrienne has said about server side.
> You still will have to sort out a lot of requirements. If your
> lists are in a sort of order, and are of different lengths this
> adds to the complexity.
>
> Consider again the advice I gave you before which does not mean
> you should no have columns but rather that you should use the
> columns for other purposes than to distribute the lists, you
> could include a navigation list in another column. You can give
> other information in yet another. I would bet quids on this being
> the least trouble for both you and your page customers. There is
> nothing they could not understand this way.
>
> I feel I am nagging you now. Good luck anyway.
>
> --
> dorayme

Ha ha ha not to worry - I'll think of something! Thanks for the
support!
Ciarán

BobaBird

On Sun, 04 Nov 2007 07:37:26 GMT, Adrienne Boswell <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I agree that Ctrl-F or Command F is very simple, but I wonder how many
>people really know to use that, or if they would think to do that.

That crossed my mind when I made a long intranet page at work, so I
added a statement "Use <Ctrl-F> to enter search term" at the top to
save those unfamiliar with web browsing from tedious scrolling. When
it came time to add another page I was asked, by an experienced web
user, if I would be "programming in that search feature."
--

Charles

Andy Dingley

On 3 Nov, 12:17, Ciaran <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I have a very long dynamically generated bulleted list and I'd like to
> make it display in columns rather than down the left and side of the
> page.

Newspaper columns aren't supported, and they're difficult to implement
because of the need to move the break points around depending on
required column height vs. available column height. Your practical
solutions are to either pre-process this server-side, or to tweak it
dynamically client-side with somewhat ugly JavaScript.

If you're worried about print work, XSL:FO and something like Apache
FOP can do this pretty well.

Really though, don't use full-blown newspaper columns on the web.
We've got good vertical scrolling, it's better to keep this (long, but
only one axis) than it is to start requiring two-axis scrolling.

For a simple list that needs two or three short columns, just insert
explicit column breaks. Fluid layout to a level above this just isn't
necessary.