Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > openmp under cygwin

openmp under cygwin

s.z.s@web.de

Hi!

Is anybody using an openmp compiler under cygwin? I tried to install
gcc 4.2.2 without success and now I'm looking for alternatives.
Thanks, Steffen

Tor Rustad

> Hi!
>
> Is anybody using an openmp compiler under cygwin? I tried to install
> gcc 4.2.2 without success and now I'm looking for alternatives.

BSD, Linux, Solaris.. comes to mind.

http://www.livedistro.org/

--
Tor <(E-Mail Removed) | tr i-za-h a-z>

s.z.s@web.de

On 3 Nov., 15:40, Tor Rustad <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> BSD, Linux, Solaris.. comes to mind.

Hi!

I was thinking of solving it in cygwin, because I don't want two OS on
my laptop, and not having to load a live distro each time... I've got
a linux- machine, with which I work most of te time, but I've got a
windows machine as well (for some reasons...) and I want to be able to
work with openmp as well.

any ideas/experiences with cygwin?

Cheers, Steffen

Keith Thompson

(E-Mail Removed) writes:
> Is anybody using an openmp compiler under cygwin? I tried to install
> gcc 4.2.2 without success and now I'm looking for alternatives.

This really isn't a C question.

Tor Rustad

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> I was thinking of solving it in cygwin, because I don't want two OS on
> my laptop, and not having to load a live distro each time... I've got

The simple solution is getting a live-CD and install Linux... using dual
boot.

> a linux- machine, with which I work most of te time, but I've got a
> windows machine as well (for some reasons...) and I want to be able to
> work with openmp as well.
>
> any ideas/experiences with cygwin?

We don't discuss GCC, OpenMP or cygwin here. GCC's support for OpenMP is
non-standard C extensions, in c.l.c "only" ISO C is topical.

--
Tor <(E-Mail Removed) | tr i-za-h a-z>

Keith Thompson

Tor Rustad <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> I was thinking of solving it in cygwin, because I don't want two OS on
>> my laptop, and not having to load a live distro each time... I've got

> The simple solution is getting a live-CD and install Linux... using
> dual boot.

[...]
> We don't discuss GCC, OpenMP or cygwin here. GCC's support for OpenMP
> is non-standard C extensions, in c.l.c "only" ISO C is topical.

And your suggestion above is a good example of *why* we don't discuss
Cygwin et al here. <OT>Running under Cygwin, if there's a way to do
it, means you can run the OpenMP application and other Windows
applications simultaneously. Dual booting means shutting down all
Windows applications (or at least hibernating them) on each
switch.</OT>

I already directed the OP to the Cygwin mailing lists. A web search
for "openmp cygwin" could also be productive.

Tim Prince

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> Is anybody using an openmp compiler under cygwin? I tried to install
> gcc 4.2.2 without success and now I'm looking for alternatives.

Part of your comment looks better suited to (E-Mail Removed)
If you aren't looking for advice, don't post where it's off topic.

Tor Rustad

Keith Thompson wrote:
> Tor Rustad <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>> I was thinking of solving it in cygwin, because I don't want two OS on
>>> my laptop, and not having to load a live distro each time... I've got

>> The simple solution is getting a live-CD and install Linux... using
>> dual boot.
>>

> [...]
>> We don't discuss GCC, OpenMP or cygwin here. GCC's support for OpenMP
>> is non-standard C extensions, in c.l.c "only" ISO C is topical.

> And your suggestion above is a good example of *why* we don't discuss
> Cygwin et al here.

Really? What are your qualifications on giving advice on this Keith?

I do have cygwin, XP, Linux installed, and have used dual boot since
Slackware 1.x

> <OT>Running under Cygwin, if there's a way to do
> it, means you can run the OpenMP application and other Windows
> applications simultaneously. Dual booting means shutting down all
> Windows applications (or at least hibernating them) on each
> switch.</OT>

It does not. Under Linux, people even run Windows games these days.

--
Tor <(E-Mail Removed) | tr i-za-h a-z>

Richard

Tor Rustad <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> Keith Thompson wrote:
>> Tor Rustad <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>>> The simple solution is getting a live-CD and install Linux... using
>>> dual boot.
>>>

>> [...]
>>> We don't discuss GCC, OpenMP or cygwin here. GCC's support for OpenMP
>>> is non-standard C extensions, in c.l.c "only" ISO C is topical.

>> And your suggestion above is a good example of *why* we don't discuss
>> Cygwin et al here.

> Really? What are your qualifications on giving advice on this Keith?
>
> I do have cygwin, XP, Linux installed, and have used dual boot since
> Slackware 1.x
>
>> <OT>Running under Cygwin, if there's a way to do
>> it, means you can run the OpenMP application and other Windows
>> applications simultaneously. Dual booting means shutting down all
>> Windows applications (or at least hibernating them) on each
>> switch.</OT>

> It does not. Under Linux, people even run Windows games these days.

Actually yes it does mean just that if "dual booting". Alternatively run Windows in
VirtualBox or VMWare or some such. Works well.

As for the gaming : WINE or Cedega are dodgy to say the least. Its far
better to keep a Windows partition for dual boot for gaming or other
professional applications that do not have Linux/Gnus versions.