Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > I'm having trouble adding an SATA drive - I can't get it set as a basic volume!

I'm having trouble adding an SATA drive - I can't get it set as a basic volume!

Marc

I'm running XP Pro and have 4 HD with multiple partition. I'm trying to
replace an EIDE with a SATA II HD. The computer sees the drive but when I
go to set it up as a basic drive I don't get that option. I have another
drive that is set up for dynamic and when I right click I get the options.
Any suggestions?

Marc

why?

On Fri, 2 Nov 2007 19:42:51 -0400, Marc wrote:

>I'm running XP Pro and have 4 HD with multiple partition. I'm trying to
>replace an EIDE with a SATA II HD. The computer sees the drive but when I

Think about the questions, I don'r really need the answers but you may
think of somethuing.

Sees it how? As a disk unpartioned, partitioned from another PC or
something else.

>go to set it up as a basic drive I don't get that option. I have another

At least 'sees' here means you get as far as disk management if you are
trying to get the options to format it.

Sounds a bit odd as it's a different disk on a different controller. Did
you install any required drivers?

You say you don't get the basic disk option, you don't say what options
you do get.

>drive that is set up for dynamic and when I right click I get the options.
>Any suggestions?

This other drive matters how? It's a different drive, different
controller, unknown what volumes or storage types you have setup.

It's assumed you aren't wanting to use any dynamic features across the 2
disks you mention? Might makes things a bit easier.

Try a look,
http://www.petri.co.il/difference_be..._2000_2003.htm

How To Convert to Basic and Dynamic Disks in Windows XP Professional
This article describes how to convert a basic disk to a dynamic disk,
and how to change a dynamic disk back to a basic disk by using the Disk
Management ...
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309044 - Similar pages

Basic Storage Versus Dynamic Storage in Windows XP
Microsoft Windows XP offers two types of disk storage: basic and
dynamic. ... Windows XP does not support these multidisk basic volumes.
Any volume sets ...
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314343 - Similar pages
[ More results from support.microsoft.com ]

Converting Basic Disks to Dynamic Disks
Converting Basic Disks to Dynamic Disks. Up to this point everything
that has been discussed in this article has related to Basic disks, but
Windows XP ...
www.theeldergeek.com/hard_drives_10.htm - 65k - Cached - Similar pages

Me

Marc

I must have misread the web pages that I found. They all said to right
click on the black bar and I would get a drop down menu and this would be an
option I tried over and over again and this never worked. I finally started
a Windows installation created a small partition went back into Windows and
finished from there round about but worked. I was messing around and right
clicked on the header at the left of the drive and there was that menu
really frustrating.

Thanks,

Marc

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> On Fri, 2 Nov 2007 19:42:51 -0400, Marc wrote:
>
>>I'm running XP Pro and have 4 HD with multiple partition. I'm trying to
>>replace an EIDE with a SATA II HD. The computer sees the drive but when I

> Think about the questions, I don'r really need the answers but you may
> think of somethuing.
>
> Sees it how? As a disk unpartioned, partitioned from another PC or
> something else.
>
>>go to set it up as a basic drive I don't get that option. I have another

> At least 'sees' here means you get as far as disk management if you are
> trying to get the options to format it.
>
> Sounds a bit odd as it's a different disk on a different controller. Did
> you install any required drivers?
>
> You say you don't get the basic disk option, you don't say what options
> you do get.
>
>>drive that is set up for dynamic and when I right click I get the options.
>>Any suggestions?

> This other drive matters how? It's a different drive, different
> controller, unknown what volumes or storage types you have setup.
>
> It's assumed you aren't wanting to use any dynamic features across the 2
> disks you mention? Might makes things a bit easier.
>
> Try a look,
> http://www.petri.co.il/difference_be..._2000_2003.htm
>
> How To Convert to Basic and Dynamic Disks in Windows XP Professional
> This article describes how to convert a basic disk to a dynamic disk,
> and how to change a dynamic disk back to a basic disk by using the Disk
> Management ...
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309044 - Similar pages
>
> Basic Storage Versus Dynamic Storage in Windows XP
> Microsoft Windows XP offers two types of disk storage: basic and
> dynamic. ... Windows XP does not support these multidisk basic volumes.
> Any volume sets ...
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314343 - Similar pages
> [ More results from support.microsoft.com ]
>
> Converting Basic Disks to Dynamic Disks
> Converting Basic Disks to Dynamic Disks. Up to this point everything
> that has been discussed in this article has related to Basic disks, but
> Windows XP ...
> www.theeldergeek.com/hard_drives_10.htm - 65k - Cached - Similar pages
>
> Me

why?

On Mon, 5 Nov 2007 19:47:13 -0500, Marc wrote:

>I must have misread the web pages that I found. They all said to right
>click on the black bar and I would get a drop down menu and this would be an
>option I tried over and over again and this never worked. I finally started

<grin> You do get a menu it's new partition / something else and Help.
Most likely just what you read. Haven't had it not work.

>a Windows installation created a small partition went back into Windows and
>finished from there round about but worked. I was messing around and right
>clicked on the header at the left of the drive and there was that menu
>really frustrating.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Marc

>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>>
>> On Fri, 2 Nov 2007 19:42:51 -0400, Marc wrote:
>>
>>>I'm running XP Pro and have 4 HD with multiple partition. I'm trying to
>>>replace an EIDE with a SATA II HD. The computer sees the drive but when I

>> Think about the questions, I don'r really need the answers but you may
>> think of somethuing.
>>
>> Sees it how? As a disk unpartioned, partitioned from another PC or
>> something else.

<snip>

Me