Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Q: Anti-Phishing in Fx?

Q: Anti-Phishing in Fx?

Quivis

Hi,
After the latest update, to 2.0.0.9, I noticed the little link on the
features page about Phishing Protection. Sounds great, I thought:

http://en-us.www.mozilla.com/en-US/f...ng-protection/

Tried that link to the test page:

http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/its-a-trap.html

No warning, nothing, nada.

I've tried about:config, but my findings don't tell me much:

Name: browser.safebrowsing.provider.0.reportPhishURL
Value: http://{moz:locale}.phish-report.mozilla.com/?hl={moz:locale}

TIA for any suggestions.
--
Quivis
--

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo

Quivis wrote:
> Hi,
> After the latest update, to 2.0.0.9, I noticed the little link on the
> features page about Phishing Protection. Sounds great, I thought:
>
> http://en-us.www.mozilla.com/en-US/f...ng-protection/
>
> Tried that link to the test page:
>
> http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/its-a-trap.html
>
> No warning, nothing, nada.
>
> I've tried about:config, but my findings don't tell me much:
>
> Name: browser.safebrowsing.provider.0.reportPhishURL
> Value: http://{moz:locale}.phish-report.mozilla.com/?hl={moz:locale}
>
> TIA for any suggestions.

I don't know what you're looking for in the config editor,
but in Tools, Options, Security, its the second box that
needs to be checked -- the one about forgery.

disregarded!!!!

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

John Thompson

On 2007-11-02, Quivis <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> After the latest update, to 2.0.0.9, I noticed the little link on the
> features page about Phishing Protection. Sounds great, I thought:
>
> http://en-us.www.mozilla.com/en-US/f...ng-protection/
>
> Tried that link to the test page:
>
> http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/its-a-trap.html
>
> No warning, nothing, nada.

Ok. So what, exactly, is the problem? AFAIK, that's how it is supposed
to work.

> I've tried about:config, but my findings don't tell me much:
>
> Name: browser.safebrowsing.provider.0.reportPhishURL
> Value: http://{moz:locale}.phish-report.mozilla.com/?hl={moz:locale}
>
> TIA for any suggestions.

What are you trying to do?

--

John ((E-Mail Removed))

Quivis

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

On 03 nov 2007, John Thompson<(E-Mail Removed)2.dhs.org>, had the
following to say to the folks in alt.fan.mozilla:

> Ok. So what, exactly, is the problem? AFAIK, that's how it is
> supposed to work.

On their site they say:
"You can test to see if Phishing Protection is enabled by browsing to
our test site. If Phishing Protection is turned on, a warning dialog
will appear."

Ref: http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox...ng-protection/

The words "test site" form a link to some other place, I assumed it
was the test site...?

I get nothing; even _with_ the checkboxes checked in options. All I
get is what looks like a normal web page, and nothing like a dialog
at all. I have tried with/without blocking popups, with/without
AdBlock, with/without Java, etc. That's why I went into about:config
trying to find more info, but all I could find was that reference I
mentioned in my first article.

> What are you trying to do?

I'm trying to get this dialog box to show up they speak of on their
site. It would be nice to know if it works. As on now, I'm not sure
it does, and I don't know of any other forged pages where I could go
and test this feature.
--
Quivis
--
http://www.boycott-riaa.com/
http://www.riaaradar.com/
http://www.downhillbattle.org/riaa/

Quivis

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

On 02 nov 2007, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
<(E-Mail Removed)>, had the following to say to
the folks in alt.fan.mozilla:

> I don't know what you're looking for in the config editor,
> but in Tools, Options, Security, its the second box that
> needs to be checked -- the one about forgery.

Been there. See my response to John.
--
Quivis
--

Quivis wrote:
> Thanks for taking the time to respond.
>
> On 03 nov 2007, John Thompson<(E-Mail Removed)2.dhs.org>, had the
> following to say to the folks in alt.fan.mozilla:
>
>> Ok. So what, exactly, is the problem? AFAIK, that's how it is
>> supposed to work.

> On their site they say:
> "You can test to see if Phishing Protection is enabled by browsing to
> our test site. If Phishing Protection is turned on, a warning dialog
> will appear."
>
> Ref: http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox...ng-protection/
>
> The words "test site" form a link to some other place, I assumed it
> was the test site...?
>
> I get nothing; even _with_ the checkboxes checked in options. All I
> get is what looks like a normal web page, and nothing like a dialog
> at all. I have tried with/without blocking popups, with/without
> AdBlock, with/without Java, etc. That's why I went into about:config
> trying to find more info, but all I could find was that reference I
> mentioned in my first article.
>
>> What are you trying to do?

> I'm trying to get this dialog box to show up they speak of on their
> site. It would be nice to know if it works. As on now, I'm not sure
> it does, and I don't know of any other forged pages where I could go
> and test this feature.

Tools, Options, Security, put a check beside "tell me if the
site I'm visiting is a suspected forgery" then select the
one about "Check by asking" and in the drop down select
google and accept the terms from google. Now, revisit the
page http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/its-a-trap.html and you
should see it.

If not, then clear the cookies and the cache and try again.

and the setting in the config editor is:

browser.safebrowsing.enabled

which should be set to true.

disregarded!!!!

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

Quivis

Sorry for the long delay. Been rather busy, you might say.

On 03 nov 2007, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
<(E-Mail Removed)>, had the following to say to
the folks in alt.fan.mozilla:

> Tools, Options, Security, put a check beside "tell me if the
> site I'm visiting is a suspected forgery" then select the
> one about "Check by asking" and in the drop down select
> google and accept the terms from google. Now, revisit the
> page http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/its-a-trap.html and you
> should see it.

I see. So, the only way to get it to work is by using google?

Thanks, but no thanks. I think I'll pass on that thing then. I don't
give a whole lot for their so-called "privacy statement." >P

Thanks for your time and reply.

Q.