Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Email while traveling

Email while traveling

SuperVHS

Let me run this past you guys to get some input (good idea, bad idea,
missing something, etc)
I am about to go out of town. I want to put my email program onto a
memory stick to keep up while gone rather than use a less convenient
online email, and have my main account pile up. (I'm using Forte's Agent
v3.3. I believe it to be very well behaved and portable so I don't
anticipate it to be a problem.)

My idea is to run an xxcopy bat file right before I leave to transfer
the most recent image to the stick. Use the image on the stick while
away. Run another xxcopy bat file when I get back to transfer the image
back to my computer.
In limited reading of the switches (boy there's a lot of them) it seems
that /clone going both ways would be what to use. Or perhaps /bu?
Which is best in this case?

Does that seem feasible to do? I'm not all that familiar with them, so
are memory sticks, properly protected, adequate to this task? (I'm aware
of the common pitfalls: they can get lost, fall in water, etc. and if
they do I will have lost all email from the time I left up til the last
time it was retrieved before it was broken.)

Thanks for the help!

Alfred

On Fri, 02 Nov 2007 02:43:36 -0500, SuperVHS <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Let me run this past you guys to get some input (good idea, bad idea,
>missing something, etc)
>I am about to go out of town. I want to put my email program onto a
>memory stick to keep up while gone rather than use a less convenient
>online email, and have my main account pile up. (I'm using Forte's Agent
>v3.3. I believe it to be very well behaved and portable so I don't
>anticipate it to be a problem.)
>
>My idea is to run an xxcopy bat file right before I leave to transfer
>the most recent image to the stick. Use the image on the stick while
>away. Run another xxcopy bat file when I get back to transfer the image
>back to my computer.
>In limited reading of the switches (boy there's a lot of them) it seems
>that /clone going both ways would be what to use. Or perhaps /bu?
>Which is best in this case?
>
>Does that seem feasible to do? I'm not all that familiar with them, so
>are memory sticks, properly protected, adequate to this task? (I'm aware
>of the common pitfalls: they can get lost, fall in water, etc. and if
>they do I will have lost all email from the time I left up til the last
>time it was retrieved before it was broken.)

I use agent 1.93. on home pc and laptop
Just drag and drop the whole agent folder onto the stick then drag and
drop it back when you come home.

Jeffrey Needle

On Fri, 02 Nov 2007 02:43:36 -0500, SuperVHS <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Let me run this past you guys to get some input (good idea, bad idea,
> missing something, etc)
> I am about to go out of town. I want to put my email program onto a
> memory stick to keep up while gone rather than use a less convenient
> online email, and have my main account pile up. (I'm using Forte's Agent
> v3.3. I believe it to be very well behaved and portable so I don't
> anticipate it to be a problem.)
>
> My idea is to run an xxcopy bat file right before I leave to transfer
> the most recent image to the stick. Use the image on the stick while
> away. Run another xxcopy bat file when I get back to transfer the image
> back to my computer.
> In limited reading of the switches (boy there's a lot of them) it seems
> that /clone going both ways would be what to use. Or perhaps /bu?
> Which is best in this case?
>
> Does that seem feasible to do? I'm not all that familiar with them, so
> are memory sticks, properly protected, adequate to this task? (I'm aware
> of the common pitfalls: they can get lost, fall in water, etc. and if
> they do I will have lost all email from the time I left up til the last
> time it was retrieved before it was broken.)
>
> Thanks for the help!

For the record, Mobility E-mail is designed to do this precisely. It's an
adaptation of Thunderbird, quite stable, and fully portable. Sorry, don't
have the link.

Jeffrey Needle

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

Alfred <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Fri, 02 Nov 2007 02:43:36 -0500, SuperVHS <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>
>>Let me run this past you guys to get some input (good idea, bad idea,
>>missing something, etc)
>>I am about to go out of town. I want to put my email program onto a
>>memory stick to keep up while gone rather than use a less convenient
>>online email, and have my main account pile up. (I'm using Forte's Agent
>>v3.3. I believe it to be very well behaved and portable so I don't
>>anticipate it to be a problem.)

>I use agent 1.93. on home pc and laptop
>Just drag and drop the whole agent folder onto the stick then drag and
>drop it back when you come home.

This can be done with any version of Agent - but if you do this you
need to edit the agent.ini

Every thing under:
[Directories]
Home="D:\Agent Data base\Agent\Data"

Juggling Bowling Balls
http://www.loanmeyoursister.com/?p=36

Bear Bottoms

http://www.mobilityemail.net/

--
Bear Bottoms
Freeware website http://bearbottoms1.com

Jeffrey Needle

On Sat, 03 Nov 2007 07:06:34 -0500, Bear Bottoms <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> On Fri, 02 Nov 2007 19:31:51 -0500, Jeffrey Needle
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>> For the record, Mobility E-mail is designed to do this precisely. It's
>> an adaptation of Thunderbird, quite stable, and fully portable. Sorry,
>> don't have the link.
>>

> http://www.mobilityemail.net/

Thanks, Bear.

Jeffrey Needle
(E-Mail Removed)

Bear Bottoms

On Sat, 03 Nov 2007 09:44:49 -0500, Jeffrey Needle <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> On Sat, 03 Nov 2007 07:06:34 -0500, Bear Bottoms <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 02 Nov 2007 19:31:51 -0500, Jeffrey Needle
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>

>>> For the record, Mobility E-mail is designed to do this precisely.
>>> It's an adaptation of Thunderbird, quite stable, and fully portable.
>>> Sorry, don't have the link.
>>>

>> http://www.mobilityemail.net/
>>

> Thanks, Bear.

Hey, I just helped a bit. You brought attention to the program. It looks
promising...thank you.

--
Bear Bottoms
Freeware website http://bearbottoms1.com

Plato

SuperVHS wrote:

> Let me run this past you guys to get some input (good idea, bad idea,
> missing something, etc)
> I am about to go out of town. I want to put my email program onto a

Often I use:

http://www.mail2web.com/

When out of town to get my POP email.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Alfred

On Fri, 02 Nov 2007 20:30:58 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> Alfred <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 02 Nov 2007 02:43:36 -0500, SuperVHS <(E-Mail Removed)>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>Let me run this past you guys to get some input (good idea, bad idea,
>>>missing something, etc)
>>>I am about to go out of town. I want to put my email program onto a
>>>memory stick to keep up while gone rather than use a less convenient
>>>online email, and have my main account pile up. (I'm using Forte's Agent
>>>v3.3. I believe it to be very well behaved and portable so I don't
>>>anticipate it to be a problem.)

>>I use agent 1.93. on home pc and laptop
>>Just drag and drop the whole agent folder onto the stick then drag and
>>drop it back when you come home.

>This can be done with any version of Agent - but if you do this you
>need to edit the agent.ini
>
>Every thing under:
>[Directories]
>Home="D:\Agent Data base\Agent\Data"

I just copy it all to the c drive on the other pc. Works okay for me

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

Alfred <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Fri, 02 Nov 2007 20:30:58 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>> Alfred <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>>I use agent 1.93. on home pc and laptop
>>>Just drag and drop the whole agent folder onto the stick then drag and
>>>drop it back when you come home.

>>This can be done with any version of Agent - but if you do this you
>>need to edit the agent.ini

>>Every thing under:
>>[Directories]
>>Home="D:\Agent Data base\Agent\Data"

>I just copy it all to the c drive on the other pc. Works okay for me

Ya to the same place no problem (and no special folders for certain
groups), but s/he was talking of putting it on a Pen drive.

--

Romanian Host Beats Up Guests
http://www.break.com/index/how_to_get_point_across.html