Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > HD-A2 HD-DVD player $98.97 @ Wal-Mart

HD-A2 HD-DVD player $98.97 @ Wal-Mart

Lloyd Parsons

In article <472b9674$0$5007$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"T.B." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "Geena Phillips" wrote:
>
> > Got mine.

> FWIW, Best Buy is selling the same player at the same price.
>
> I decided to take a drive to my local Best Buy which indeed had the same
> HD-DVD player for $99. However, they didn't have any in stock except a
> couple returns priced at $249(!) and the idiot BB guy couldn't work their
> inventory pc to figure out if they had any in stock there or at another
> local store. And of course, they won't do rain checks on such sale items.
>
> After looking over the (pretty thrashed) player they had on the shelf which
> was really a lot more bare-bones than I thought and looking over the
> available HD titles, I basically came to the conclusion even 99 bucks and
> any further hassle wasn't worth the purchase considering there was maybe
> half a dozen titles on that format I was seriously interested in buying and
> one, The Matrix box set is going to be released in the Spring on Blu-Ray.
>
> On the plus side, today really reinforced my overall hatred of "Big Box"
> stores like Walmart and Best Buy.
>
> T.B.

Let's see if I understand. You could buy a $99 HDDVD player that
upconverts SD DVDs better than most upconverting SD players, and it
plays real HiDef stuff too. And you get 5 free movies with it.

If you bought those 5 movies at the cheapest price new I've seen ($15),
then those are worth $75, so the player really is costing you $27. BUT,
some stores that were selling the $99 players, were also giving away two
free movies at time of purchase. If you bought there, then your player
actually paid you to buy it....

Of course, you could just spend $400 on a BD player...

T.B.

"Lloyd Parsons" wrote:

(snip)

> Let's see if I understand. You could buy a $99 HDDVD player that
> upconverts SD DVDs better than most upconverting SD players, and it
> plays real HiDef stuff too. And you get 5 free movies with it.

It's worth noting you don't get to pick any 5 movies, you're limited to a
selection of one each from the following catagories:

Aeon Flux [PG-13]
Babel [R]
The Italian Job[PG-13]

Category B
The Hulk [PG-13]
Pitch Black [NR]
The Thing [R]

Category C
Charlie & The Choclate Factory [PG]
Swordfish [PG]
Full Metal Jacket (original release) [R]

Category D
Firewall [PG-13]
The Frighteners [NR]
U2: Rattle and Hum [PG-13]

Category E
Black Rain [R]
Darkman [R]
Troy [R]

> If you bought those 5 movies at the cheapest price new I've seen ($15),
> then those are worth $75, so the player really is costing you $27. BUT,
> some stores that were selling the $99 players, were also giving away two
> free movies at time of purchase. If you bought there, then your player
> actually paid you to buy it....

That's Best Buy. What makes their offer of 2 extra HD DVDs so attractive is
you can pick anything they have in stock.

> Of course, you could just spend $400 on a BD player...

And get a far better selection of movies in HD, not to mention a better
player overall as the HD-A2 is a now discontinued low end model that doesn't
even output 1080p.

But a bargain is a bargain. No doubt about that. Doesn't sound like HD has
much of a future if Microsoft/Toshiba are basically dumping players hoping
to somehow recoup money on the strength of future disc sales. Problem is,
there's not a whole helluva lot in the pipeline worth buying through early
next year thus far on the release calender.

T.B.

Lloyd Parsons

In article <472bf69e$0$24264$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"T.B." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "Lloyd Parsons" wrote:
>
> (snip)
>
> > Let's see if I understand. You could buy a $99 HDDVD player that
> > upconverts SD DVDs better than most upconverting SD players, and it
> > plays real HiDef stuff too. And you get 5 free movies with it.

> It's worth noting you don't get to pick any 5 movies, you're limited to a
> selection of one each from the following catagories:
>
> Aeon Flux [PG-13]
> Babel [R]
> The Italian Job[PG-13]
>
> Category B
> The Hulk [PG-13]
> Pitch Black [NR]
> The Thing [R]
>
> Category C
> Charlie & The Choclate Factory [PG]
> Swordfish [PG]
> Full Metal Jacket (original release) [R]
>
> Category D
> Firewall [PG-13]
> The Frighteners [NR]
> U2: Rattle and Hum [PG-13]
>
> Category E
> Black Rain [R]
> Darkman [R]
> Troy [R]

I wouldn't mind at least one of each of those categories, although they
might not be the ones I would want first.

> > If you bought those 5 movies at the cheapest price new I've seen ($15),
> > then those are worth $75, so the player really is costing you $27. BUT,
> > some stores that were selling the $99 players, were also giving away two
> > free movies at time of purchase. If you bought there, then your player
> > actually paid you to buy it....

> That's Best Buy. What makes their offer of 2 extra HD DVDs so attractive is
> you can pick anything they have in stock.
>
> > Of course, you could just spend $400 on a BD player...

> And get a far better selection of movies in HD, not to mention a better
> player overall as the HD-A2 is a now discontinued low end model that doesn't
> even output 1080p.
>
> But a bargain is a bargain. No doubt about that. Doesn't sound like HD has
> much of a future if Microsoft/Toshiba are basically dumping players hoping
> to somehow recoup money on the strength of future disc sales. Problem is,
> there's not a whole helluva lot in the pipeline worth buying through early
> next year thus far on the release calender.
>
> T.B.

Well, far better selection is of course an opinion. And the HDA2 does
TrueHD which most BD players don't. As to the 1080i vs p, well I
haven't seen anything that makes me want to buy a new set yet. My 61"
JVC 1080i does a fine job.

At $100 it is competitive with better upconverting SD players, and the 5
free movies make it cheaper than almost all of the SD players out there.

satellite_chris

On Nov 1, 6:10 pm, Kuskokwim <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Friday at 8:00am:http://holiday.ri-walmart.com/?section=secret

Has anyone tried this Toshiba HD-A2 player with DVD+R's? The box
specifically mentions DVD-R's but not not mention plus R's nor the +/-
logo. I bought one but did not open it yet on account of this. I
have many home videos converted to plus+R format and in fact my old
burner only supports plus+R format.

Thanks,
Chris

Kuskokwim

On Wed, 07 Nov 2007 13:40:30 -0000, satellite_chris wrote:

> On Nov 1, 6:10 pm, Kuskokwim <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Friday at 8:00am:http://holiday.ri-walmart.com/?section=secret

> Has anyone tried this Toshiba HD-A2 player with DVD+R's? The box
> specifically mentions DVD-R's but not not mention plus R's nor the +/-
> logo. I bought one but did not open it yet on account of this. I
> have many home videos converted to plus+R format and in fact my old
> burner only supports plus+R format.
>
> Thanks,
> Chris

Chris,

I just tried playing several DVD+Rs and they all work.

For some reason they don't mention +Rs in the instruction manual, either.

I'm going to use this player for HD-DVDs, only. For regular DVDs I will
still use my old Panasonic S97 which has more convenience features.

It was worth the $98.97 I spent if only for the increased picture quality
of the HD-DVDs. I have a projector with a 92 inch screen.

satellite_chris

On Nov 7, 9:34 am, Kuskokwim <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Wed, 07 Nov 2007 13:40:30 -0000, satellite_chris wrote:
> > On Nov 1, 6:10 pm, Kuskokwim <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >> Friday at 8:00am:http://holiday.ri-walmart.com/?section=secret

> > Has anyone tried thisToshibaHD-A2player with DVD+R's? The box
> > specifically mentions DVD-R's but not not mention plus R's nor the +/-
> > logo. I bought one but did not open it yet on account of this. I
> > have many home videos converted to plus+R format and in fact my old
> > burner only supports plus+R format.

> > Thanks,
> > Chris

> Chris,
>
> I just tried playing several DVD+Rs and they all work.
>
> For some reason they don't mention +Rs in the instruction manual, either.
>
> I'm going to use this player for HD-DVDs, only. For regular DVDs I will
> still use my old Panasonic S97 which has more convenience features.
>
> It was worth the $98.97 I spent if only for the increased picture quality
> of the HD-DVDs. I have a projector with a 92 inch screen.

Thank you VERY VERY much for actually testing a few DVD+R's. It was
very nice to see someone go ought of their way to help a stranger.

Regards,
Chris