Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > CSS equivalent of single-cell table ?

Reply
Thread Tools

CSS equivalent of single-cell table ?

 
 
Jonathan N. Little
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-05-2007
dorayme wrote:

> I think OP was wanting shrink to fit too and you addressed this
> in your first reply. Perhaps this might help OP in some way:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/32n6hm
>


Well it works in real web browsers, but not any version of IE, cannot
speak for that odd Mac version.

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
dorayme
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-05-2007
In article <61ada$472e9262$40cba7c6$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Jonathan N. Little" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> dorayme wrote:
>
> > I think OP was wanting shrink to fit too and you addressed this
> > in your first reply. Perhaps this might help OP in some way:
> >
> > http://tinyurl.com/32n6hm
> >

>
> Well it works in real web browsers, but not any version of IE, cannot
> speak for that odd Mac version.


Yes, I hope the tables work ok in IE! The sub heading for the
non-tables solution says "variable browser support" which is a
polite way of saying forget about IE. The tables solution was
meant to show ok in IE. Perhaps someone could be bothered to do
it so IE gets the tables and the rest get the display: table
instructions. I would rather cut off one of my antennae.

What is it with folk that they crave *so much* for centering? It
is like the junk food of webpage design... <g>

--
dorayme
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Bone Ur
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-05-2007
Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Mon, 05 Nov 2007 04:20:04 GMT
dorayme scribed:

>> > I think OP was wanting shrink to fit too and you addressed this
>> > in your first reply. Perhaps this might help OP in some way:
>> >
>> > http://tinyurl.com/32n6hm
>> >

>>
>> Well it works in real web browsers, but not any version of IE, cannot
>> speak for that odd Mac version.

>
> Yes, I hope the tables work ok in IE! The sub heading for the
> non-tables solution says "variable browser support" which is a
> polite way of saying forget about IE. The tables solution was
> meant to show ok in IE. Perhaps someone could be bothered to do
> it so IE gets the tables and the rest get the display: table
> instructions. I would rather cut off one of my antennae.
>
> What is it with folk that they crave *so much* for centering? It
> is like the junk food of webpage design... <g>


The pink background stuff centers (and "shrinks") in ie6. It all does so
in ff.

--
Bone Ur
Cavemen have formidable pheromones.
 
Reply With Quote
 
BootNic
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-06-2007
dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> In article <61ada$472e9262$40cba7c6$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> "Jonathan N. Little" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> dorayme wrote:
>>
>> > I think OP was wanting shrink to fit too and you addressed this
>> > in your first reply. Perhaps this might help OP in some way:
>> >
>> > http://tinyurl.com/32n6hm
>> >

>>
>> Well it works in real web browsers, but not any version of IE, cannot
>> speak for that odd Mac version.

>
> Yes, I hope the tables work ok in IE! The sub heading for the
> non-tables solution says "variable browser support" which is a
> polite way of saying forget about IE. The tables solution was
> meant to show ok in IE. Perhaps someone could be bothered to do
> it so IE gets the tables and the rest get the display: table
> instructions. I would rather cut off one of my antennae.


For inline content.

Wrap the content of all the div.centring with an inline element.

<div class="centring"><span>This is a centred shrink-to-fit div box.</span>
</div>

Then add a bit of css to correct the display for IE.

<!--[if IE]>
<style type="text/css">
div.centring {
/* reset for IE */
display:block;
padding:0;
border: none;
background-color: #f2f2f2;
text-align:center;
}
div.centring span {
display:inline-box;
text-align:left;
border: 1px solid #999;
background: #c5ffc5;
zoom:1;
}
</style>
<![endif]-->

I suppose that if one wants to support a mac IE then other corrections
would be required.

--
BootNic Tuesday November 6, 2007 1:02 PM
Assert your right to make a few mistakes. If people can't accept your
imperfections, that's their fault.
*Dr. David M. Burns*
 
Reply With Quote
 
dorayme
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-07-2007
In article <Xns99E084A4BB118BootNic@216.168.3.70>,
BootNic <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > In article <61ada$472e9262$40cba7c6$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > "Jonathan N. Little" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> >> dorayme wrote:
> >>
> >> > I think OP was wanting shrink to fit too and you addressed this
> >> > in your first reply. Perhaps this might help OP in some way:
> >> >
> >> > http://tinyurl.com/32n6hm
> >> >
> >>
> >> Well it works in real web browsers, but not any version of IE, cannot
> >> speak for that odd Mac version.

> >
> > Yes, I hope the tables work ok in IE! The sub heading for the
> > non-tables solution says "variable browser support" which is a
> > polite way of saying forget about IE. The tables solution was
> > meant to show ok in IE. Perhaps someone could be bothered to do
> > it so IE gets the tables and the rest get the display: table
> > instructions. I would rather cut off one of my antennae.

>
> For inline content.
>
> Wrap the content of all the div.centring with an inline element.
>
> <div class="centring"><span>This is a centred shrink-to-fit div box.</span>
> </div>
>
> Then add a bit of css to correct the display for IE.
>
> <!--[if IE]>
> <style type="text/css">
> div.centring {
> /* reset for IE */
> display:block;
> padding:0;
> border: none;
> background-color: #f2f2f2;
> text-align:center;
> }
> div.centring span {
> display:inline-box;
> text-align:left;
> border: 1px solid #999;
> background: #c5ffc5;
> zoom:1;
> }
> </style>
> <![endif]-->
>
> I suppose that if one wants to support a mac IE then other corrections
> would be required.


I have made some adjustments and added a section and a new page
to try to incorporate this idea, but it needs more work. I had
various problems and have given up for a moment... See:

http://tinyurl.com/32n6hm

and the linked page. On my winbox in IE 6 the borders around the
spans do not appear properly, nor the background colour nor is
the text left-aligned - though the spans are nicely centered!
Perhaps I have not implemented the idea properly?

Damn IE!

--
dorayme
 
Reply With Quote
 
BootNic
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-07-2007
dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> In article <Xns99E084A4BB118BootNic@216.168.3.70>,
> BootNic <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>>
>>> In article <61ada$472e9262$40cba7c6$(E-Mail Removed)>,
>>> "Jonathan N. Little" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>
>>>> dorayme wrote:
>>>>

[snip]
>> Wrap the content of all the div.centring with an inline element.
>>
>> <div class="centring"><span>This is a centred shrink-to-fit div
>> box.</span> </div>


NOTICE: the content needs to be wrapped in a span.

>> Then add a bit of css to correct the display for IE.

[snip]
> I have made some adjustments and added a section and a new page
> to try to incorporate this idea, but it needs more work. I had
> various problems and have given up for a moment... See:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/32n6hm
>
> and the linked page. On my winbox in IE 6 the borders around the
> spans do not appear properly, nor the background colour nor is
> the text left-aligned - though the spans are nicely centered!
> Perhaps I have not implemented the idea properly?
>
> Damn IE!


It appears that you forgot to wrap the div content in a span.

--
BootNic Tuesday November 6, 2007 7:30 PM
If you can learn from hard knocks, you can also learn from soft
touches.
*Carolyn Kenmore*
 
Reply With Quote
 
dorayme
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-07-2007
In article <Xns99E0C695367D1BootNic@216.168.3.70>,
BootNic <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> It appears that you forgot to wrap the div content in a span.


o sh... that's right.. they got lost in some fiddling. I had
other trouble with a previous template and there is usb stick
transfers between winbox and Mac and ... don't ask... <g>

Yes, now that I have simple overall page, it works well on my IE
6 as well as on Safari and probably FF too... Well done. I will
leave it up a while in case anyone finds it useful...

--
dorayme
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CSS table don't look like html TABLE vitay HTML 8 11-09-2006 05:56 PM
please explain css entry #subnav table table {border-bottom:none;} jason@cyberpine.com HTML 3 09-24-2006 03:36 PM
CSS Layout question - how to duplicate a table layout with CSS Eric ASP .Net 4 12-24-2004 04:54 PM
Table/table rows/table data tag question? Rio HTML 4 11-05-2004 08:11 AM
Could not load type VTFixup Table from assembly Invalid token in v-table fix-up table. David Williams ASP .Net 2 08-12-2003 07:55 AM



Advertisments